Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tweaking Broadcom based routers  (Read 49717 times)

Griffy

• Just arrived
Re: Tweaking Broadcom based routers
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 11:04:11 PM »

Ok so I also have a Belkin N1 vision, it has gigabit network ports and a good spec, yet it connects slower than my Netgear DG834g v3
I thought the Belkin was also on a broadcom chipset? and is it hackable in the same way?

On another note, I have another modem/router  ???  A Linksys WAG320G  and I can't be sure, but I think this is also broadcom based? It seems to have better functions than the other 2, but connects at a slower speed than the old netgear (netgear is only G wireless performance and not good wireless coverage either)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 07:37:10 AM »

I'm afraid that I don't know what chipset those routers have, but you won't do any harm by seeing if it's possible to connect to them by telnet and than type the command adslctl info or adsl info to see if it recognises one of those commands.

By the way - are you sure about the WAG320G? Google hasn't even heard of it.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 09:23:14 PM »

The DG834 V3 is, I believe, a TI AR7 chipset which is known to perform quite well on poor lines.
It's the same chipset used in the BT Business hub i.e. 2Wire HGV2700.
It can have problems in the 834 if your firmware hasn't been upgraded to the latest version so it's well worth upgrading if you haven't.
That might well be a good modem to retain for optimum performance on a poor line.

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 10:12:44 PM »

It's the same chipset used in the BT Business hub i.e. 2Wire HGV2700

I think you may be mistaken there - as far as I know, the 2700HGV uses a custom 2-wire chipset. But you're right to say that the DG834 V3 uses the AR7 chipset, and has a well-deserved reputation for good performance on long lines.
  Eric

Griffy

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 11:02:01 PM »

Just to confirm I do have a Dg834G v3 running ok on my system
My other 'stuff' includes a Belkin Vision N1 and a Linksys WAG320N modem/router.  Hard to find any info about the WAG320N online, maybe its crap!

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 01:19:53 AM »

@ Roseway,

Thanks for your caution. I stand corrected; they are a bit shy as to their components but state:-

ADSL Modem
• ADSL1, ADSL2, ADSL2+
• DSLAM interoperability: Alcatel, Lucent AnyMedia,
Lucent Stinger, Cisco, AFC, Adtran, Catena, ECI, Copper
Mountain, Nokia
• ANSI and ETSI loops

and 

The Modem Replacement
Models with an ADSL1/2/2+ broadband interface include advanced modem technology unique to 2Wire, raising the bar on modem performance. The 2Wire designed modem technology takes advantage of an extremely low noise, high linearity ADSL Analog Front End (AFE) and digital echo canceller, providing excellent long loop and bridge tap performance. Translation: The 2Wire design provides superior modem training capabilities; particularly important to subscribers at the edge of the DSL coverage area, or for whom you want to provide increased speed.

See also

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14233982

Another quotation states:-

Since 2Wire's business model is not to supply to end users, there is no way for an end user to get a full manual going in to all of this.
There is no public information on the processor or memory inside the device, again, this is not something that end users typically need. As is well known, the chipset inside the 2Wire is custom silicon.

For any really keen people prepared for electronic suicide:-

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=98038

2Wire 2700HG-D

FCCID: PGR2W2700RD
Chipset: Atheros AR2413A
Flash: ST NAND128W3A2BN6 (16MB?)
Ram: NANYA NT5DS16M16CS-5T (64MB?)

If anybody is interested I've found quite a bit more information but it's too far off topic here.

Kind regards,
Walter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 03:06:34 PM »

Hi
quote Hard to find any info about the WAG320N online

@Griffy
see this link >http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/support/WAG320N

For help ,support, manuals

Regards Jeff :)
zen user

adslgeek

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 09:50:05 AM »

Hey Roseway,

Well impressed with the tweak!

Given that a lot the routers use BusyBox or other Linux based operating system, surely it would be possible to put a script into the bootup sequence?

Just a thought - I will scurry away and try to ask a real geek that might know how it could be done.

($respect4roseway = $respect4roseway +10) :-)

Cheers,
I have always believed that helpdesks should be there to help.

I retain this preposterous notion despite the commonly held belief that they are there to blindly answer calls.

ubasti

• Just arrived
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »

Just like to say thanks for this tweak.  The ability to control SNR margin has completely transformed my connection.  Before it was usually bordering on the 1.5-1.75 bRAS profile, sometimes getting up to 2mb before frustratingly resyncing lower shortly afterwards.  Even at a SNR target margin of 15db, I'd never stay synced for more than a week. 

Bizzarely, with my SNR margin now forced to around 3db, my line is if anything more stable than before and seems to resync less!  I now get a solid 2.5mb from a rural line with 62db attenuation, always syncing around the 3000k mark.  My hardware is a DG834g v4 with DGteam firmware, and I'm on 20cn AAISP.

Both lowering the SNR target margin and turning off interleaving have really helped performance, and these were changes that I honestly didn't really believe my line would be able to handle before I made them - I was simply so bloody fed up that I thought what the hell.  I now have a 20ms ping to UK addresses and a steady 300k/s max download rate, better than I thought possible living in an isolated village in the NE of England.

This is a great site & forum, I've learned a lot here.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 03:41:59 PM »

Hello, ubasti, and welcome to the forum.  :)

I'm so glad that the site and the forum have proved helpful to you... :thumbs:.........and I hope to hear from you again.

strontium90

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »

Thanks a lot for this tweak...it has saved me months waiting for my snr to drop from 21dB :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 06:38:31 PM »

You're welcome :)
  Eric

y4mz

• Just arrived
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 12:12:19 AM »

Sorry, I didn't really make this clear. If you tweak the noise margin in the DGTeam web interface the setting is saved when you click 'Apply'. But if you do it from the telnet command line it isn't saved, and I don't know of any way to save it. What I've done is to use the web interface with the slider set at minimum, which reduces the target noise margin to about 9.5 dB, and also tweak it in the command line to get it down to 6 dB. If the router is rebooted it goes back to 9.5 dB until I tweak it manually again, but not too much is lost.

I've just discovered that on DGTeam (DG834GT version 1.03.22_1014_adsldrv023o at least), setting the target SNR with the command nvram set adsl_snr=N allows values greater than the web interface does (e.g. nvram set adsl_snr=65450), which persist after a reboot.

I think you'll have to re-run the command any time changes are made to the 'Advanced ADSL settings' web interface page though.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 06:56:08 AM »

Thanks for that information y4mz. I'm not in a position to test it at the moment, because my current target noise margin isn't high enough, but if (when) I get bumped up to 15 dB again I'll give it a try.
  Eric

backtogeek

• Just arrived
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »

I know this is very old but for anyone who comes accross this the same way I did you can change it via telnet then add the command e.g. adslctl configure --snr 65450 in to the DGTeam firmware cutom startup scripts via the web interface.

Tested and verified.
Pages: 1 [2] 3