Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tiscali Pay as you go  (Read 5686 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Tiscali Pay as you go
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:09:55 AM »

Hello everyone,

I've just come across a user with a pay as you go account which is being used via dial-up at seemingly very high costs.
I've also discovered that there is a poor ADSL signal on the line.

Can anyone givel me the details of this tarriff which I assume is no longer offered to new clients.

As this is on an exchange without Tiscali LLU but with TalkTalk LLU it would eventually be changed over?

Has anyone a reliable Tiscali telephone number to get a MAC?

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:13:45 AM by waltergmw »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Tiscali Pay as you go
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:32:23 AM »

Tiscali Dial-Up tariff

1p per minute at weekends
3p per minute 6pm till 6am Monday to Friday
4p per minute 6am till 6pm Monday to Friday

Contact nos.

billing and customer care 0871-222-3311
sales................................0844-875-0607
dial up cancellation..........0845-077-4488

As to the llu question.......will have to leave that to the experts.

:)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:43:20 AM »

4p per minute 6am till 6pm Monday to Friday
  :o

What a rip off.........£2.40 an hour daytime surfing. >:(

As for Tiscali.....My friend left them in March and went over to Virgin Cable,he cancelled his contract,got a MAC and moved over.Tiscali still stopped him a month more than they should have(which he is still waiting for the refund).
Then the other day he received a text from them asking him why he has cancelled his direct debit and not paid them... :-X

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 10:00:55 AM »

I'm a bit confused about what sort of service the user has. If the user is on a dial-up service, how is it known that the ADSL signal is poor?
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »

Perhaps this is something similar to a demon service called 'dial companion'?

Dial companion was offered when I switched to DSL a few years ago, and seemed to be just a rather expensive alternative (dial-up) access method with limited features.  I think the idea was you could use it when travelling, but I guess it would have worked as an alternative access method from home too, if the ADSL signal failed.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »

Hi everybody,

Many thanks for the replies.

I was also very confused to begin with as I wondered how Tiscali could charge for an ADSL service when all the charges to date had come via a BT bill.
However I suppose they have log-in records which could be used.

Just to add a little more yesterday I managed to get both lines to sync but only with my old faithful DG834 V2 with DG team firmware; the tiscali line was slightly better.
Today Tiscali wouldn't sync but the BT hurtled along with an astonishing bRAS of 256 and a throughput of 160 kbps. I've tried all manner of other Netgear Routers, a 585V7 and the BT Home hub all absolutely useless.

As you can imagine this is yet another one of the highly disgruntled of Ewhurst.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:17:11 PM »

Probably something which dates back to about 2004 when the PAYG broadband services first seemed to hit the market and were popular for quite a while especially for the low usage type users. - Normal 512kb adsl was around £30pm back then.  Several other ISPs did similar.. and it was possibly this type of account what made Metronet popular back then because they offered decent PAYG adsl deals.

AFAIK though Tiscali only did this type of package on their datastream exchanges.

>> how Tiscali could charge for an ADSL service when all the charges to date had come via a BT bill

TBH that sounds more like something which predates even 2004... 
You paid BT something like £7 or £12 (cant recall the exact cost now) each month on your BT bill.  Then it allowed you to dial in to your ISP after 6pm for free, but you may also have to pay your ISP additional costs - either a fixed fee or pay per minute. 

I had this type of account before I got adsl from plusnet.. and even before I was on BTs so called "Anytime" or "Surftime". 
You have to remember though to cancel it when you got adsl or BT just continued adding the £6.99 to your monthly bill.

Just check that the fee on the BT bill isnt a leftover relic from those 'old' days..
It possibly sounds like they signed up for Tiscali PAYG dsl and forgot to cancel the surtime element on their blue BT bill?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker