Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bandwidth Leakage  (Read 2734 times)

canon

• Reg Member
Bandwidth Leakage
« on: May 31, 2007, 08:51:32 AM »

If an ADSL router (DG834) is left on but any PC's connected to it are off, is there supposed to be any bandwidth used - and recorded by the ISP?
I have a situation where I look after the ADSL stuff (see my recent posts) for an organisation office. The PC's there are off on several days during the week but the Metronet usage stats show about 90KB up and 350KB down on those days.
Is this normal?
Thanks, Terry.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Bandwidth Leakage
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:24:05 AM »

Hi Terry.
That's normal, Its the cr@p and the normal network traffic on the net talking to your router, You may be able to see some of it in your log what's been blocked.

Michael
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:01:35 PM »

Thanks Michael.
It's sort of reassuring but annoying that it shows on usage stats - which may have to be paid for in some circumstances (over 2 GB).

There's nothing showing on the router log, it  reports Attempted access to blocked sites, Connections to the Web-based interface of the Router
Router operation (start up, get time etc), known DoS attacks and Port Scans.

I'd not noticed this leakage before at home as I'm always using the connection.
Terry.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 12:25:03 PM »

May be it's on my 'smoothwall' firewall that I have seen all the stuff that gets logged.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 01:28:22 PM »

I think some of it is also false reporting by the ISP servers - they attempt to sort out what's what and where it's going but there always seems to be a bit they need to "sweep under the carpet" - and we all seem to get a bit of that!  When the amounts are so small then it seems no great issue but if it increases then it is certainly worth investigating.

Tony

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 01:33:25 PM »

Well, it works out at about 13MB per month which would cost an extra 3p if we went over the 2GB when it costs per MB.
So I suppose that's not too bad.
Terry.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 05:22:21 PM »

Its just normal Im afraid and theres not much you can do about it aside from switching off your router.  There will always be a small trickle of data from various sources.  Mine can sometimes be several MB per day - but thats the router responding to l8nc. 
Theres also the obvious such as perhaps your mail client/Anti-Virus/Microsoft updater etc just checking that things are up to date. 
Finally theres traffic from not so nice sources like trograns or script kiddies floating around on the net just checking to see if they can get a response or weak link.

>> I think some of it is also false reporting by the ISP servers

Depends where they get the info from.  It can come from 2 sources - the ISP records of data thats flowed through their system, or the BTw RADIUS servers.   BTw pass this info on to IPStream ISPs and afaik its in a fairly crude form with not that much info.  The ISP themselves have the opportunity to record a lot more info.

Finally dont forget that when we download say a 1GB file in reality it will be much more than this.  Theres things like TCP overheads for packet addressing etc...  and also everytime you download, the nature of the beast is that you will be also using upstream bandwidth as you respond saying "yep got this bit ok, send the next bit"

Terry iirc youre on MN paygo - and they use data supplied from the BTw RADIUS for your billing.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything