Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AOL port on Netgear?  (Read 3411 times)

mike004

AOL port on Netgear?
« on: June 16, 2009, 07:23:25 PM »

Apologies if this is not the correct section.

I have recently signed up with UK Online and have installed their Netgear DG834GT router.

Running nmap on the router address reveals that an AOL port is open on the router (see below). Is this something I should be concerned about? Should I block the port, as I am not an AOL customer?
Mike
====
Interesting ports on 192.168.0.1:
Not shown: 1678 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
80/tcp   open  http
5190/tcp open  aol
MAC Address: xxxxx
Device type: general purpose
Running: Linux 2.4.X|2.5.X|2.6.X
OS details: Linux 2.4.0 - 2.5.20, Linux 2.4.7 - 2.6.11

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 4.351 seconds

[root@localhost]# grep 5190 /etc/services
aol             5190/tcp                        # America-Online
aol             5190/udp                        # America-Online
=====

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: AOL port on Netgear?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 08:29:41 PM »

Is there anything on the local machine that may be using AOL (not the isp - but America Online as the organisation)..  
AOL own many apps such as Netscape, AIM, ICQ etc

Once upon a time you used to specifically open port 5190 if you wanted to use ICQ.  Its a long time since Ive used ICQ, but it may now work just via uPNP if thats enabled in your router.
I believe AIM also uses 5190
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 10:04:40 PM »

@ Kitz,

As well as AOL US we now have AOL UK = CarPhoneWarehouse so ther could even be further complications.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »

America OnLine split off some of its European operations a few years back and like you say sold off the UK broadband side to CPW and thats now a separate entity.

America OnLine (Corp) is still very much alive and kicking and has their fingers in more pies than is first apparent. At one point in the early 2000's I thought they were about to take over the net as they seemed to be buying just about anything that was going.  
I think google beat them to it though ;)

AOL corp is huge.. they own several large marketing companies that serve internet ads, and as mentioned they did go through a spell of taking over good internet apps.  
ICQ was brilliant and way ahead of MSN - IMHO it was one of the best chat clients ever- -  until aol got its mitts on it.
I used to be a big netscape fan until AOL killed it with bulk and practically made it unusable.. the only good thing that came out of that was Mozilla.

As well as marketing ads both worldwide in th UK AOL corp own things like some of the popular messengers such as AIM or ICQ.  They own Netscape, Bebo, MapQuest and many many more internet apps... just do a search on "AOL buys".

However back to port 5190, its most likely to be an Instant Messenger application such as AIM, ICQ, Trillion etc.
Mike may not even be aware that he has AIM on his PC..  I recall installing something fairly recently that would have installed AIM automatically if I hadnt read the small print properly first.  :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mike004

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:15:24 PM »

I think the port is open on the router, not my PC. And I haven't done any port or firewall configuration for the router since  I took it out of the box.
Is it possible that NetGear ship a lot of these routers to AOL cable customers. So, they configured the routers at the factory so that the AOL port is "open" by default?

I don't think I'm running a chat program.
Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:13:41 AM »

Netgear is one of the largest domestic router manufacturers and they supply basic netgear firmware that isnt configured to any particular ISP.
AFAIK UKO use standard netgear firmware.

AOL do also use some netgear routers... but these are bought in bulk and then AOL put on their own branded firmware which they then ship out to their customers direct.

>> I think the port is open on the router, not my PC.

Ive just done a quick google and it seems that Netgear leave that port open for messenger services such as AIM/MSN 'by design' and its the same regardless of which ISP you are with.  It isnt anything to do with AOL the ISP, but the service reAIM (messenger).

You may like to read this if you specifically want to close the port.

http://117.53.171.171/forum-replies-archive.cfm/377273.html

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 01:15:48 AM by kitz »
-----

mike004

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »

Thanks, I'll read that and maybe block  the port.

Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:53:30 AM »

yw :)
-----

anything