Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: how to find if interleaving is active on my line  (Read 19695 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: how to find if interleaving is active on my line
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »

yw...  i really do hope you get it sorted.
Please let us know how it goes
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dpd

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2009, 09:34:19 PM »

just a small update. bt have suggested they perform a cease and re-provide which will cut my service for 5 days and then once re-connected i hopefully wont be routed via edingburgh. this has been refused and we have asked for other alternatives.

again i have to say mark at fast is being top class for me and dealing with the whole thing so at least it takes the stress out of it for me. couldnt face talking to an indian call center.

the one thing i find weird is that i have spoke to 3 of my neighbours and none of them have any problems of this nature. suppose it is just bad luck that im the one being routed via edingburgh.

will provide more updates as i get them.

regards david

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »

>> i have to say mark at fast is being top class for me

Yes you are lucky with that and you dont have additional hurdles..  Mark knows what he's doing and you will be trying far harder than any of the mainstream ISPs.

>> perform a cease and re-provide which will cut my service for 5 days

Theres a risk with that too even if they did, that you are put on the same dslam/VP and could be no further forward.

>> the one thing i find weird is that i have spoke to 3 of my neighbours and none of them have any problems of this nature. suppose it is just bad luck that im the one being routed via edingburgh.

Out of curiousity - who are they with - they may be with an LLU provider who arrange their own backhaul provision.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

dpd

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »

Out of curiousity - who are they with - they may be with an LLU provider who arrange their own backhaul provision.

2 of the neighbours are with bt and another is sky. my exchange has no LLU services apart from bt so aol must be an ipstream product also. having said that the lady with aol i dont suppose would notice a ptoblem like latency unless she knew what it was. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2009, 11:37:14 PM »

Must be on a different dslam then?
Its not unusual for BTw to have different backhauls for different dslams/msans.  I know they still do this at my exchange. 
Presumably this will change though on conversion to 21CN as they wont be deemed RASes then and will be 21CN nodes.  There are more nodes for 21CN and hopefully more logical and standardised routing.
-----

dpd

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2009, 10:50:48 PM »

ok another update. bt, after offering a cease and re-provide, have said that is basically the only option available to me as there is technically no fault on the line. how ridiculous is it that bt have no SLA for ping/latency?

mark at fast has said that before trying that option, he will try a migration to another fast network and hope to see a difference. whilst i have my doubts about this i will try it as i dont really have much option. hope it works but if it doesnt then will opt for the cease and re-provide.

at this moment in time im extremely angry with bt as it just feels like they are burying there head in the sand with problems of this nature. there needs to be somthing done with bt as they are just an awful company. the funny thing is also, bt actually rang me last week to ask if i would like to return to btinternet !!!!!!!! you have got to be joking. :lol:

will let you know what happens.
regards david

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2009, 06:31:20 AM »

>> as there is technically no fault on the line. how ridiculous is it that bt have no SLA for ping/latency?

Exactly the same response as what my ISP had.  Mine lasted a couple of months before it cleared on its own... but rizla who is another forum reg and adsl techy had problems with his that lasted much longer despite changing products and ISPs.

>> he will try a migration to another fast network and hope to see a difference

It may work, and its worth a try,  I wasnt on a fixed network so even attempting to change gateway wouldnt work for me... nor did it for rizla who was with zen who also dont used fixed gateways.
Although I suspect part of the increased latency will be down to the via Edinburgh routing, that doesnt explain the additional increased day latency.  That part of the behaviour is unlike anything to do with the BT part of the network.

Good luck... please do let us know.
-----

dpd

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2009, 04:31:22 PM »

hi again. just awaiting my migration to another fast network which will take place on friday. however, im not sitting back on my backside here hoping that this works. instead does anyone know how i would get in touch with bt to request an RAS remapping. just over the last few days i been scouring the net for people with problems and have found a few cases where the isp have requested this such request and it has been carried out. granted it wasnt a problem of my nature, and indeed bt dont even acknowledge that mine is a problem, but i would like to contact them and at least try to get to the bottom of why they will not help me.

the main use of my internet connection is for online gaming but in its current state is not capable of handling this as the latency is a major problem. nowadays surely online gaming is a very basic requirement and bt should take some responsibilty for correcting this problem. again any help or advice is appreciated.
regards david

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2009, 11:07:12 PM »

I'm sorry that but I really dont know how..   as mentioned previously this has happened to me a few times..  the first was back in the days when Ian wild was known for being able to get resolutions to problems and he (Ian) even used a contact fairly high up in BTw, but still drew a blank. 
The bottom line as told to me was that BTw did not have any SLA on latency.. and they dont seem at all interested in the routing or mapping of the ATM backhaul.

Rizla (a knowledgeable adsl experty type bod) also had a similar problem in the past which plagued him through several ISPs.
He even tried migrating to Zen, who also couldnt get BTw to do anything...  in the end he had to go LLU before his situation was resolved. :(  IIRC even A&A have witnessed this type of thing before... but I cant recall if rizla tried A+A but I do know he mentioned them at one point.

It is annoying that this happens and I can sympathise because I've been there. Each time its happened it has cleared after about a month or so...  All the other cases Ive seen bar one usually clear after a while... the one that didnt clear and that was intermittent was rizlas, which is why he went LLU.

If you do find anyone that has successfully managed to get a remap that does clear this it would be interesting to know how.. (or even if it is one of those that just cleared itself like several others I have seen) for others in the future. 

Ive just tried googling RAS remapping and didnt find anything of much use, other than an A+A case where it was mentioned amongst about what must be about 20 cleared and rejected cleared with BT :(

>> but i would like to contact them

Unfortunately BT Wholesale will not speak to us plebs and will only talk to their customers which is the ISP.  Its only if the ISP can get SFI (I mean the old and proper type SFI of the likes in Wolverhampton) involved will you get to speak to someone in the know about this type of thing, and then they may speak to the end user direct.
Getting what I call real SFI involved is damn hard these days, and the only direct contact Ive ever had with them is when things got really dire in a case which involved many users and speeds frequently down to well under 100 kbps... and even that involved a very long & hard fight :(

I hope that my comments are not being too pessimistic, nor discouraging,  because I really do hope that you can get something done about this, and the one thing in your favour is that you are with one of those ISPs that do have a good CS record for rejecting BTw's so called clears and will try all they can for their EUs.
-----

dpd

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »

hi guys. its been a while since i posted as nothing had changed but today i have noticed a difference in my online gaming. for the first time in months my playing is seamless and its a pleasure to use my xbox 360 again. so i thought whats changed? i checked my ping times and this is what i got >>>>

C:\Users\david>ping bbc.co.uk -t

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=121
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=121
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=121

now if you scroll back to my previous posts you will see that they were eratic and usually anywhere from 45ms upwards and saometimes in excess of 150ms. after weeks of going backwards and forwards to bt to find out why my connection changed they eventually said they would not be doing anything as my line is fine and it has always been this way, despite me telling them i had many years of online gaming without problems. anyway its great news that my connection has improved but what i now want to know is what has changed on my line? does anyone know what i would have to do to trace my line and find out where the improvments have come from as if this hapens again i want to show them the proof of these changes.

regards david
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]