Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Powerline adapters - seem to freeze wireless keyboard!  (Read 3452 times)

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Powerline adapters - seem to freeze wireless keyboard!
« on: June 15, 2009, 07:08:21 PM »

Hi,

Just tried out a pair of borrowed Netgear HDX101 powerline ethernet adapters with some initial tests in 1 room.
The configuration is:
DG834v2 > HDX101 > mains wiring > HDX101 > Netgear FR114P (as a switch) > ethernet cables to 2 PCs + WG602 wireless access point.
All went well.

When I replaced the DG834 with a ST546v6 my Microsoft wireless keyboard froze, but the wireless mouse wasn't affected. This is repeatable.
Anybody else noticed any interference problems when using powerline ethernet adapters?

Powerline adapters seemed ideal for testing my modem on the BT test socket (downstairs) and getting the
data upstairs to the PCs, rather than draping an ethernet cable up the stairs.

Cheers,
Peter

stevie

• Reg Member
Re: Powerline adapters - seem to freeze wireless keyboard!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:17:11 PM »

Downstairs PC has wireless mouse & Keyboard & Zyxel Homeplugs, been running for over a year & no problems at all.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 08:01:39 PM »

Hi Peter,

Did you go throught the whole process of shutting everything down and then powering up in sequence starting from the modem and waiting inbetween each item ?

Kind regards,
Walter

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »

Hi Walter,
Nope
I started out with everything working with an ethernet cable between the modem and the switch.
At this point the 2 powerline connectors were plugged in and switched on, but not connected to anything.
I unplugged the cable from the switch, and plugged it into 1 powerline connector.
Then plugged in another cable between the other powerline connector and the switch.
Mouse OK, keyboard frozen. Connection to Internet was still OK.
Reverted to original cabling fixed it. Tried this several times.
Maybe I should bring things up gradually. Will try sometime.

A couple of days ago was experimenting with a couple of borrowed Zyxel G-570S wireless access points, instead of the powerline connectors. One was only about 1 meter away from the keyboard, and caused it to become a bit iffy - sometimes the keys didn't respond. Turning down the output power to min on the Zyxel largely cured that problem.

Cheers,
Peter