Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: advice please: cheap printer for DVDs/CDs  (Read 3373 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
advice please: cheap printer for DVDs/CDs
« on: June 11, 2009, 03:31:19 PM »

I'd be interested to hear if anybody can recommend a cheap printer that's capable of printing directly onto DVDs?

I don't need a printer for other purposes - I bought a new one, that I'm very happy with,  for normal printing not many months ago.  And since I'd only use it (the DVD printer) once in a blue moon when I'm making movies for family/friends from camcorder footage, it'll need to be really very cheap indeed to interest me (say, maximum £40 or less).

The alternative would be to use the lightscribe drive that got delivered (as standard issue) in an HP chassis I bought last year, but the lightscribe media seems pretty expensive, especially allowing for a bit of wastage now and then (why is it that you only spot the whopping speeling mistakes on the DVD 'menus' just after you've burned all the 'final' copies? >:( )

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: advice please: cheap printer for DVDs/CDs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:26:49 PM »

I must admit I dont know of any cheap ones, I'd probably resort to stick on labels. My printer does do DVDs and CDs direct but its not cheap its an Epson R800. Problem with most inkjets which only get used once in a blue moon is that the nozzles can become clogged.

Just found this which is not too bad pricewise for Lightscribe discs.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:31:19 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: advice please: cheap printer for DVDs/CDs
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 08:23:26 PM »

Thanks, Broadstairs.

Problem with most inkjets which only get used once in a blue moon is that the nozzles can become clogged.
Good point.  So good, in fact, that I'm going off the whole idea. :-\

Just found this which is not too bad pricewise for Lightscribe discs.
Agreed, that's not too bad.  The other factor with lightscribe, that I'd not owned up to, is it's extra hassle.  The box my existing drive's in is in use as a linux storage server on a shelf at the back of a cupboard, so I'll probably swap it into my main (windows) desktop box to make life easier.  And then I have to pluck up enthusiasm to learn how to use the darned software tools.   Ahhh, time was I'd have found that exciting, but these days it's just another chore.   But I do suspect it may be the way to go...

Thanks again,
7LM