Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SpeedTouch 585v6 / wrong month displayed  (Read 2693 times)

rwm32

SpeedTouch 585v6 / wrong month displayed
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »

Apologies if this has been covered before... (I've had a quick search on 'speedtouch' + 'month' and didn't spot anything relevant.)

After a long, long wait and a false start with an AOL-locked unit, I finally picked up a generic 585v6 on eBay  :)

It's relatively ancient (it had 6.1.4.3 firmware installed) but unused.  I'm very pleased with it (syncs c.200kbps higher than my ST546v6 for any given noise margin) and am enjoying being able to use DMT Tool properly for the first time  ;D

But... although it picks up the correct time from the SNTP servers I've loaded, and although it shows the correct day and month in the Event Log, it shows the correct day-of-week and day-of-month but the wrong month-number and month-name on the Configuration pages.

I've done a very quick & dirty composite paste-up of three small slices of screen-shots to illustrate...

Someone will tell me no doubt that this is a know bug in 6.1.4.3 and that it's a choice between DMT Tool functionality and having the router tell me what the month is. Hmm, now let me see... which will it be?  :'(

TIA for any info about this!

rwm32

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: SpeedTouch 585v6 / wrong month displayed
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:13:19 PM »

Well blow me...
From the system config page

Time Configuration

Time Source:   Automatic
Date:   03-05-2009
Time:   17:04:29
Timezone:   (UTC) GMT: Dublin, Edinburgh, London
Summer Time:   Yes
Time Since Power-on:   1 day, 0:32:02
Time Server 1:   212.159.13.50
Time Server 2:   130.88.200.4

From the CLI

{Administrator}=>:system settime
date = 03/06/2000
time = 17:04:40
timezone = +00:00
daylightsaving = on
uptime = 1 day, 0:32:13

From event logging

Jun 3 17:03:44   LOGIN User logged in on TELNET (192.168.1.25)

Although I say I havent noticed it being 1 month out before..  last year I did notice it was sometimes reporting 2000 rather than 2008 in the config page.

So its right in the logging, and right in the CLI, so just must be as you say, a bug in the config pages.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

rwm32

Re: SpeedTouch 585v6 / wrong month displayed
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »

Thanks for that, kitz. Interesting that the month's right in the CLI --- but the year is determinedly set to 2000 here too. Perhaps that's how Thomson's software engineers decided to fix the millennium bug: just force it to 2000....

Glad it's not just me, anyway.

anything