Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ADSL speed problems, unsure of what to try next  (Read 6457 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ADSL speed problems, unsure of what to try next
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »

Thanks for those.

>> By Road:   2.74 km

Most lines follow the road for the E-side(to the green cab) but can go 'around the houses' a little bit after that.. 
so comparing that to your router reading

>> 49dB = approx 3.55 km

so that is possible..  I was more wanting to make sure that a much longer line length didn't come up,  Some lines may also have aluminium on the line which increases the attenuation so Im happy that those figures tie up the right way.

>> Phone no : DSL Max :     3000 kbps   (3 Mb)
>> Post code: DSL Max :     3500 kbps   (3.5 Mb)

BT expects your line to perform at 3000 kbps... which is slightly less than those in your neighbouring area..  suggesting that it does seem to under perform on occasions.

>> Current State   DownStr: 736(K)

Without a doubt that line has a problem caused by low SNR.
Your Noise margin is currently 6dB..  meaning there is insufficient SNR to currently support any further speed and sync any faster than it is doing right now.
Low SNR is either that the Signal is too weak and/or being drowned out by Noise.

Since you are connected to the master socket, have checked all your filters and router...  then this would seem to point to a fault on the physical line itself.  You have done all the diagnostics you can yourself..  we have given you more to do which further would point to a line fault.

If I were you I would contact my ISP outlining all the facts stating that 736 kb is not acceptable on a 49dB line and suggest that this now needs looking at by an Openreach adsl engineer on the premises.
Your ISP should be able to clearly see from a WOOSH test that something is very wrong.

-----------
If you want copy and paste the information above... it gives the ISP a lot of info.. it also hopefully lets them know that something is wrong.  Unfortunately not all 1st line support staff are able to read/understand/interpret some of the tests that we have done so hopefully this information is also putting them in the picture too.
You have done way more diagnostics that the average person would be able to.. so the ball is now in your ISPs court.

Good luck and please let us  know how it goes.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ben_moore34

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 05:33:36 PM »

Hello

Thanks again for the assistance.

I've just had this reply from my ISP, will have to wait & see what the outcome is.

Good afternoon,

I have just performed a BT status check on your ADSL circuit and the following figures have been returned

Upstream Loop Loss = 31 SNR = 22 Speed = 448
Downstream Loop Loss = 49 SNR = 10 Speed = 736

Current line rate = 250

I am currently logging a low threshold breach fault with BT and as soon as I have a response I will inform you of the outcome.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 11:09:38 PM »

>> just performed a BT status check on your ADSL circuit and the following figures have been returned

Good :)
The figures were as anticipated and show a problem

>> a low threshold breach fault with BT

Whilst not good news that your line is in that condition...  its good news that at least theyve now acknowledged the fault and lodged it with Openreach which is where it now needs to be in order to get it fixed.

:fingers:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

ben_moore34

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »

Yeah, it is good news that they have finally realised that there is a problem.
I'll let you know what the result is.

Any idea what the BT procedure for Low Threshold Faults is?

Thanks once again for the helpful suggestions.

Cheers
BM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 08:39:58 PM »

BT will also check the figures.. then should arrange a mutually convenient appointment for an engineers visit.
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything