Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Beginners question - is LLU better?  (Read 11922 times)

tim876543

• Just arrived
Re: Beginners question - is LLU better?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 04:14:59 PM »

Hi Walter - I've sent you an email and a pm today. After a year with Plusnet (who are about what you would expect from a cheap and cheerful mass market LLU) I have run into BT not upgrading their local exchange here and I am hating being cut to 500kb which is truly awful.  It feels like being back in the era of 5kb and waiting to see if your page would load before school emptied.  As you might expect Talktalk/Tiscali and AOL (who each have their own equipment in the exchange) are inundated with applications. TT are responding by charging an extra £15 per month to each new applicant (which should tip you off) and AOL (more cynically) just taking your money - you will find out their supplied speed later !!

Any suggestions?  I reckon using Zen or A&A to chase BT is a waste of time as the only thing that moves BT is a threat of anti-trust dismemberment by Government. So, I am going to write to my MP !!

I think I saw a response from Mr Kijoma here which rather missed my point that the samknows dot com ticks against my exchange for Wireless (because Portsdown Hill is line of sight and "planned expansion") is nonsense as his outfit is small and restricted in area no matter what samknows says or what someone told samknows. 

Anyway - many thanks for your help and to this site too...

kijoma

• ISP Rep
  • Just arrived
  • Broadband - where its needed
    • Kijoma Broadband
Re: Beginners question - is LLU better?
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 03:04:08 PM »

Hi Walter - I've sent you an email and a pm today. After a year with Plusnet (who are about what you would expect from a cheap and cheerful mass market LLU) I have run into BT not upgrading their local exchange here and I am hating being cut to 500kb which is truly awful.  It feels like being back in the era of 5kb and waiting to see if your page would load before school emptied.  As you might expect Talktalk/Tiscali and AOL (who each have their own equipment in the exchange) are inundated with applications. TT are responding by charging an extra £15 per month to each new applicant (which should tip you off) and AOL (more cynically) just taking your money - you will find out their supplied speed later !!

Any suggestions?  I reckon using Zen or A&A to chase BT is a waste of time as the only thing that moves BT is a threat of anti-trust dismemberment by Government. So, I am going to write to my MP !!

I think I saw a response from Mr Kijoma here which rather missed my point that the samknows dot com ticks against my exchange for Wireless (because Portsdown Hill is line of sight and "planned expansion") is nonsense as his outfit is small and restricted in area no matter what samknows says or what someone told samknows. 

Anyway - many thanks for your help and to this site too...

I haven't been here for a while but a customer flagged that Kijoma has been mentioned again.

As the forum has been unlocked then i feel i have to respond to this post above.

Samknows uses only the coarse part of the post code so sometimes it say we provide a service to areas we do not and vice versa.

It has nothing to do with "line of sight" as they do not have the database to cover this.

As most websites like Sams are essentially "exchange" centric then this is bound to happen.

I will agree Kijoma is a small company but would argue the small coverage statement.  Kijoma covers over 70 exchange areas in West Sussex, Hampshire, Surrey and Staffordshire. Kijoma has been running for over 10 years, its not some fly by "wifi" outfit.

On www.speedtest.net our service is the fastest for up and download in Crawley (this is where our IP is geo located, the service it relates to is the large green area bordered by the south/north downs on out website map.).

We are also the fastest Up/download service in Portsmouth area on the same site, even though our service there is quite new.

As a small company, our biggest weakness is the resource to install the many who request our service daily. This means there is a waiting list. Such a list has to be prioritised and areas dealt with in rotation. We are working on speeding this up.

So perhaps good things do come in small packages and ample rewards come to those who are willing to wait.?

The general view it seems on here though is that Fibre is the solution and this they are entitled to wait for.. But please do not make unqualified negative comments about our fixed wireless service , especially if you have not before or are not using it now.

Bill Lewis
Kijoma Broadband
High Speed Wireless broadband ISP
The top rated Wireless ISP 2005 - 2008 - ISP Review
Finalists in the best Wireless Provider award 2008 - ISPA awards
Members of the Internet Service Providers association (www.ISPA.org.uk)
http://www.kijoma.net
Bill Lewis
Kijoma Broadband
High speed fixed wireless ISP
http://www.kijoma.net
members: ISPA / CISAS
Pages: 1 [2]