Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My Pictures Windows XP Problem  (Read 3868 times)

scottiesmum

My Pictures Windows XP Problem
« on: May 20, 2009, 03:50:51 PM »

I am once again trying to help a friend at a distance ::) she is in the UK  !!     She has her photos in several folders  within  ' My Pictures ' and wanted to send me copies.   I advised her how to resize them and then she wanted to put them into a separate folder, after several attempts  she ended up with MANY  new folders  :'(  she transferred the photos into one of these and renamed it; then she tried to delete the rest of them but far from deleting they kept multiplying !   after several attempts, we gave up !    Today I spoke to her again, and she started to delete the said folders one by one, but then on trying to delete several remaining ones got the message  " cannot delete file, cannot read from the source file or disc" .   Can anyone please explain why the files are duplicating when they are being deleted ?? and how do we overcome this" cannot delete file etc " ... problem .... ? Many thanks for any suggestions  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: My Pictures Windows XP Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 04:22:31 PM »

The duplicating file thing may be down to an unsteady hand on the mouse.............if you have selected a file and then move the mouse fractionally on that file (especially if you have used the right click then delete option), Windows is liable to duplicate the thing......annoying, and yes it has happened to me.

As to deleting the quickly proliferating files, can she rename them, then try a delete. ?

If that doesn't do the trick, or if there are too many to rename,  go to http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/#download , download and run the free "unlocker" prog on the miscreant files.....that should get rid of them... :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »

Thanks for that TD  :flower:  ....  I shall pass it on   :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:12:27 PM »

One other point.
Sending a folder "may not" send the contents within it.
(The last time I tried it it did not, which had me puzzled for a short time as to what was going wrong)

Your friend needs to create one folder and place the files in it.
If they just copy the files into the new folder it will save having to mess-about with the original folder/s and can then just be deleted afterward.
Then select all the files within the folder, but keep the selection down to no more than 2 or 3 MB at a time.
They could of course Zip/RAR (compress) the file selection first, just to make it a bit more user-friendly when opening them at the other end, by downloading the single Zip/RAR file into a folder first then un-zipping them in one move.

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:07:57 AM »

Thanks OF   ...     Getting all the photos she wanted to send into one folder was what I was aiming at, and then selecting the items in that folder to send  and I did get her to resize them before putting them in the new folder to lessen the load.   The problem is that when she created a new folder for some reason (and I think this was down to her ) several new folders were made, which, when she tried to delete them they in fact multiplied to such an extent that the 'cannot delete' message appeared.      I won't even go into zipping files with her   ....    my nerves wouldn't stand it   ;D  .....  I shall pass on the link from TD as I think that would be the easiest solution.  Many thanks however for your input.   :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:19:26 AM »

....    my nerves wouldn't stand it   ;D  ..... 

Your welcome. And I know that feeling some times also.

It might also be worth looking at the properties to make sure somehow the folders have not become "Read Only"
Other than that, on the very rare occasion I had a similar problem, I usually just "close-down" the PC (not re-start), then re-start it and that seems to clear the block.

anything