Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hubble space telescope  (Read 7824 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Hubble space telescope
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »

Some fantastic images from and of the Hubble telescope.................sure to interest tickmike.

http://www.komonews.com/news/photos/45855337.html

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Hubble space telescope
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:55:11 AM »

As you say, fantastic. :)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »

Awesome  :)

I was lucky enough a few years ago on a visit to Florida and visit the Kennedy Space Center.One of the things that really wowed me was the VAB(Vehicle Assembly Building),its over 500 feet high,amazing.And these huge catapillar tracks that take the rockets to the launch pads.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 04:58:37 PM »

fascinating pics indeed :)

>> I was lucky enough a few years ago on a visit to Florida and visit the Kennedy Space Center.

I went there too in another life-time... I have a photo some where of me in a space suit (it drowned me).
The day we went there was meant to be a shuttle launch, but it got delayed due to thunderstorms, but I still found the day very enjoyable... DD though was bored because there was no launch which they did 2/3 days later which unfortunately was the day we were due to fly home, so all we got to see of it was a white blur in the sky from the airport.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »

@ Kitz,it can be a bit boring for the kids.It is a long tour round the site,I think it was 3 to 4 hours.A lot of getting on and off the tour bus and in that heat.
When we finished we went to nearby Cocoa Beach for a lovely swim in the warm Atlantic.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »

>> ,it can be a bit boring for the kids.

aha..  I think once kim had seen a couple of spaceships/rockets, that was the problem.  I enjoyed the interactive center inside with all the science stuff, but that didnt appeal to her either.

>> Cocoa Beach for a lovely swim in the warm Atlantic.

ditto..  but unfortunately no swim due to the weather :(
So spent a while in some large surf shack store whose name escapes me now. rons?

The weather was really bad that particular day and just after we got off the express way we had to pull over for a while as visibility was near to zero.   I can also remember worrying about the causeway at one point and whether the waves would actually close/flood the road.  Typical florida weather it was torrential rain in the am... but by the evening it was glorious and you never would have believed it was so bad just a few hours earlier.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »

....sure to interest tickmike.

Yes they do, they are a good set of photo's.

You can get a feel for the size of Hubble, lets hope in September when the photo's that Hubble has taken are good after all that work they did on it.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 07:07:07 AM »

So spent a while in some large surf shack store whose name escapes me now. rons?

http://www.ronjons.com/

The weather was really bad that particular day and just after we got off the express way we had to pull over for a while as visibility was near to zero.   I can also remember worrying about the causeway at one point and whether the waves would actually close/flood the road.  Typical florida weather it was torrential rain in the am... but by the evening it was glorious and you never would have believed it was so bad just a few hours earlier.

That is so uncanny as when we drove back from The East coast to Orlando,it suddenly went dark and rain,to this day I have never seen rain that bad.The wipers on the car didn't make any impact.We couldn't stop as we were on that Beeline expressway.We just crawled all the home.By the time we got back to Orlando it had stopped and was steaming hot.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 09:55:19 PM »

>> ronjons

yes.. thats the one :)

>> to this day I have never seen rain that bad.

aha - driving is practically impossible.  We used to go to Florida quite a bit and some of the worst weather Ive seen has been over there...  the weird thing is how quick it comes and goes though isnt it?

I think the worst was the time we were on Palm Beach once. 
It was glorious sunshine and we'd been in the sea when the coast guard came screaming up the beach.
"Clear the beach now.  Get off the beach now! theres a bad storm coming."
We could hardly believe it, as the only signs really was that the wind had started to pick up.

We packed our stuff up and hauled everything back to the car, and had just got in when the biggest spots of rain you have ever seen just started. 
By the time we all got in the car it was torrential and you really couldnt see much further than a few yards and loose bits from the palm trees and other various debris started blowing all over the place.
That was quite scary as we were unsure what to do and all we could do was sit tight and hope it didnt get much worse.  We weren't actually staying in the area as West Palm beach was a picnic type stop-off on the way down to the Keys. 
Dunno if youve ever been there, but Palm Beach is a kind of island itself and you have to go over a bridge from West Palm Beach to get to it so we were stuck on the Ocean Boulevard? going nowhere with no real shelter.
Eventually it did calm down a bit, and we were able to drive away and continue our journey to the Keys.
-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 12:56:17 AM »

I havn't any piccys of when i worked there left , but this was my original job years ago. The silver bits i used to make, the green bit was an item we imported from japan but was reworked somewhat by us, in fact i can tell the mount on this scope was reworked by myself before this customer got it. Lovely to see so many years on, on the net, thats one of the one i did  ::)

Before things went squirly, we built at least 2/3 for export to europe and vixen international were interested in buying the tube asseblies off us because we could make them better, lighter and cheeper than they could. The only hinderance was Davids capacity for producing the quantities of optics we needed at the time and a Boss who as it turned out was probably terrified of the expansion and happyest making one off's in his garage. There's some regrets I have in life

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 07:48:57 PM »

Just revisited this string and I've realised looking at my post the 1st halfs missing, confused me for a mo' when I've just read it. ???
 I'll try and find the Piccy's but it was in reference to when used to make astronomical telescope's &the proper stuff not the weedy stuff in camera shops

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 07:51:56 PM »

:)
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »

It looks like the up-date of Hubble this year by the crew of the space shuttle has worked ok , see   http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/09sep_hubbleimages.htm?list205367
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 12:32:24 AM »

ooooh pweety
-----

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 07:01:06 AM »

Stunning images............beautiful  :)
Pages: [1] 2