Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: an interesting issue  (Read 2808 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
an interesting issue
« on: May 28, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »

Hi
This is an interesting link . User complained about very low DL speed on 8max line from a VERY good 200Kbps to 3Kbps. :lol:
 read on
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/unhappiness/f/3582861-tiscali-unlimited-3kbsec-down-from-200.html?vc=1.

Some lessons to be learnt .

Regards Jeff

zen user

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: an interesting issue
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:44:22 AM »

And I moan................. :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:07:37 AM »

I didn't read all the messages, but nobody seems to have picked up on the fact that there's something badly wrong with that user's ADSL connection. His downstream connection speed had plummeted (not Tiscali's fault) and in his latest figures the upstream connection speed is ridiculously low. It's so bad that his error rates are probably sky-high too, which would further reduce his download speed. Changing to a different ISP won't change these things.
  Eric

rwm32

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 12:03:59 PM »

[...] nobody seems to have picked up on the fact that there's something badly wrong with that user's ADSL connection. [...]
In the end, they did, in fact: when the user connected the router directly to the master socket, it sync'd at 8128 -- so it was another case of dodgy extension wiring causing huge problems.  Towards the end of the thread, there is a fulsome apology to Tiscali!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »

Towards the end of the thread, there is a fulsome apology to Tiscali!

Just for once, it looks as though they deserve it. ;D
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 04:16:33 PM »

>>> but nobody seems to have picked up on the fact that there's something badly wrong with that user's ADSL connection. His downstream connection speed had plummeted (not Tiscali's fault) and in his latest figures the upstream connection speed is ridiculously low. It's so bad that his error rates are probably sky-high too, which would further reduce his download speed.

Something I noticed too as I read further down the thread.

Well done to jeff for suggesting the OP post his line stats :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 04:28:50 PM »

btw - re this post

You mean carefully divided by 13.81?

Thats not true.. the maximum speed is calculated using a much more complicated formula that that..  it took a few days of plotting figures on this graph and uses a sliding scale based on gradients.. then working out the formula to use.

Each dB reading has several calculations performed on it..  and theres various adjustments made depending on the loop loss (12 different stages in fact for adsl1 & many more for adsl2+) and whether its a long or short line.

If I'd simply divided by 13.81 then I could have coded it in a few hours, rather than the days/week that it did take!

I think he may be referring to average dB -> line length calculation  and not the maximum speed calculation. ;)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:35:39 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »

Hi
 quote : You mean carefully divided by 13.81?

I just ignored that fatuous remark , as comments like that are of no help I think fitted one of these 
 http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=4951.0
Regards Jeff
zen user