Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT Reveals First Fibre Optic Broadband Rollout Plans  (Read 13032 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: BT Reveals First Fibre Optic Broadband Rollout Plans
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 06:51:34 AM »

@ kitz

>> I doubt that will happen, its such a mammoth project and so expensive to do so, that theres only BT that would likely be able to fund something like this.

Yet there is already evdence that BT are trying to play FTTC catch-up with Virgin for the higher density areas rather than being our "Proud Guardians" and maintaining the vital National Asset.
Next to the Defence of the Realm all Governments and at present Lord Carter have a strong duty of care to maintain and enhance a robust National Communications Network.

Many will also remember that plight of NTL after the dot com bubble times although thankfully Virgin seem to be the Phoenix of their difficulties. In these turbulent times I wonder how many residents of Bournemouth and shortly Dundee are "sitting comfortably so we can begin"? I then look at those countries that have not de-nationalised their networks and observe the significant waste of time and resources here for projects such as Hambelden and Ebbsfleet for the resulting failure and a miniscule success respectively.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 05:38:58 PM »

Virgin claimed it will be offering speeds of between 100-150Mbits/sec by the time BT's completed its 40-60Mbit/sec fibre rollout in 2012.

Interesting development on behalf of Virgin :)

However I cant help  but wonder if they  will also be subject to Virgins FUP...  and how long it would take before you find yourself rate limited.  Not very long at those speeds :/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 06:23:12 PM »

>> However I cant help  but wonder if they  will also be subject to Virgins FUP...  and how long it would take before you find yourself rate limited.  Not very long at those speeds :/

When we were upgraded from 4Mb to 10Mb the F.U.P was instant.
Although for the "so called" pirates, the 2 tier UL/DL time limitations which starts at 10am and finishes at 9pm makes it very hard to abuse the system (obviously as it was designed to do).

With the 50Mb being priced at £35 per month, I wonder how much 100/150Mb will cost.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 06:32:21 PM »

I see balmoral in belfast is the first to get the FTTC. Well fair play to them as it is in the back Ar** of nowhere and a number of long lines are there aswell. Not to mention the exchange itself is almost fallen apart lol. Just can't wait till my exchange gets it cause at least i will get rid of that aluminium from the exchange to the cab.

jmanners

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 11:00:17 PM »

The proposed Dean exchange upgrade in Edinburgh is just toytown. There are only 200 properties in the Dean Village area anyways. There is no likelihood whatsoever of BT cabling up the rest of Edinburgh any time time soon, since the whole of the centre of town is already being dug up for the tram works, which will persist until at least 2011 and prolly well beyond that.

Now here's an idea akin to local loop unbundling, where BT were forced to open up their copper to other providers - wouldn't it be a laugh if Virgin were forced to unbundle their fibre network and let the small guys like BT use their glass ? :)

Peace

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 05:56:52 PM »

That would be VERY funny actually. Think virgin though would probably fight against a decission like that.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 11:45:19 AM »

>> Now here's an idea akin to local loop unbundling, where BT were forced to open up their copper to other providers - wouldn't it be a laugh if Virgin were forced to unbundle their fibre network and let the small guys like BT use their glass ?

Some have already asked just that question and why hasnt a monopoly cable provider been made to open up their access network in the same way that BT were made to open up their provision.   But then again the cynics wonder if the fact that much of the OFCOM topwigs are 'cable cronies' has anything to do with it.

What I do find ironic is that Sky were more than happy to jump take advantage of the loop unbundling with BT, but are now crying foul when OFCOM are now proposing that sky should open up their satellite provision. :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »

Sky's tv in the biggest product they have in the market *although they where the fastest growing BB service provider ever* i think it was 1 million customers in 1 year they got. If sky have to share out there sky tv they are going to be devastated so they will fight against that alrite. Sky broadband has been a success for sky however they are still learning new things about the BB in regards to there technical side of things and still making a number of mistakes aswell but i guess that comes with the job eh lol. I can remember a few years ago a customer told me "sky should have just stuck with sky tv". Think his thoughts may have now changed since sky broadband is everywhere and on the top with the rest of the providers.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything