Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How can I get my own domain and Email?  (Read 30295 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
How can I get my own domain and Email?
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:52:14 PM »

Hi all,

I am thinking of registering a domain and hosting say 5 email addresses on it.

I have looked around and 1and1 have some good deals for £5.99 for a .co.uk domain for 2years and7POP3 inboxes for 15.99 p/a.

Could anyone recommend me some providers and some advice on how I do it?

Cheers

Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: How can I get my own domain and Email?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 08:06:11 PM »

are you wanting any web hosting, or just mail hosting?

The 1+1 deal looks ok.
Companies I normally recommend are easily and vidahost, but both of those may offer just more than basic mail services, which could end up more expensive.
If however you are looking at hosting a site...  the 1+1 basic package is very restrictive..  a trap I fell for when years ago I bought my first ever hosting package, then realised that I couldnt do a pile of stuff on it that I wanted to.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 08:34:36 PM »

All i want is to have my own domain for email and say 5 email addresses and POP3.

I don't plan to host a website at the moment.

Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »

Easily mail hosting starts at about £10 pa.

Doesnt seem to say how many POP3 mailboxes they allow...  i cant recall how many it was when I was with them.. used to be something like 12 or 20 including a catch all.
Could always ring them to ask - its a free phone no.   Support is usually very good - or was everytime I used them

http://easily.co.uk/index.php3?exe=emailac

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:40:49 PM »

So thats £10 pa for just one @mydomain.co.uk?

Seems expensive unless I am missing something?
Kind Regards
Jamie

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:45:18 PM »

I use freeparking.co.uk for a few domain names and have had no major complaints.

It's a while since I registered anything new, but according to their price list .co.uk's are £4.99 and seem to (but check the small print/details for yourself) include free POP3 with unlimited mailboxes up to 10Mb storage and free of all advertising. 

I've never had reason to try their POP3, though I've no reason to doubt it'll work.  I normally just set up mail forwarding to my ISP's mail servers.  I have tried freeparking's own webmail client which is OK but painfully slow - too slow to be any use, frankly.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »

Thanks I will take a look, the Free Unlimited forwarding seems good?
Kind Regards
Jamie

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »

Free mail and web forwarding is pretty well standard, I would have thought. I have a couple of .co.uk domains with 123-reg (£3.28 per year) and they offer the same, easily configurable through a control panel.
  Eric

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 11:29:10 AM »

Thanks Eric, will take a look
Kind Regards
Jamie

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 12:02:02 PM »

Thanks I will take a look, the Free Unlimited forwarding seems good?

I'm sure that if 123-reg is good enough for Roseway then it's good enough fullstop so that may be a good bet  :)

Still, just to clarify a few things wrt mail-forwarding / POP3 as applied to freeparking (and maybe in general too)....

With freeparking, the basic forwarding is not totally unlimited.  I think you can set up 11 explicit forwarding rules, e.g. one for Joe@...something...co.uk to joe.smith@...somethingelse...com , another for sue@....co.uk, etc.  But there's also a default forwarding rule to catch anything that's not explicit, so mail to randomjunk@....co.uk still gets forwarded to a chosen address.

I find it useful to set up explicit forwarding for my own name, and for my partner's name, so that they arrive (via our ISPs) mail with the correct adressee.  It is then be possible to set up the mail client so that each user login also autmotically sets up the correct details ('from', 'reply to', etc addresses) for outgoing smtp.  This certainly works well with the 'turnpike' client that you get as a demon customer, but I'm failry sure it should be possible with other clients too.  Similarly, with a (cheap) mobile phone I am able to access (via POP3) mail that's been forwarded to my ISP's servers, and configure the phone's email app to use appropriate addresses so it looks like it came from my domain name.

If you want to do your own POP3 download direct from freeparking, rather than forward it to your ISP,  then AFAIK freeparking has no limit on the number of mailboxes, but the storage limit of 10Mb would worry me as it presumably means that a few (maybe even malicious) mail items could manifest as a denial-of-service attack if it took me too long to get around to downloading or deleting them.  I assume that's a per-domain limit rather than per-mailbox.  I'm not aware of any such limit on POP3 storage with my ISP's service (I use demon), though ISTR there's a limit on how long it'll stay there if I read it without deleting it from the server.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »

Hi sevenlayermuddle

I took a look at free parking however 10meg on the mailboxes is not enough for me.

@ Eric

I took a look at 123 Reg and they definately have a good package there!

So its now between !and1 and 123Reg, easily was a bit out of my price range (i will be paying for this myself)

I am doing it as its generally easier than ISP email addresses which are long and annoying :D

Thanks for all your advice all

Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »

I am doing it as its generally easier than ISP email addresses which are long and annoying :D

Glad to hear your nearing a decision.  Let us know how you get on.

BTW (I'll shut up soon), another good reason for avoiding use of an ISP's email addresses is, if your ISP mail account is tied to your DSL account, they can become a 'golden-handcuff' that stops you switching ISP.   No matter how many times we've told people, for over five years,  to only use our private domain email addresses, we still appear on too many mailing lists as ...@...our_demon_account_name...demon.co.uk, and a lot of these are mailshots are stuff we actually want to see.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »

they can become a 'golden-handcuff' that stops you switching ISP.   No matter how many times we've told people, for over five years,  to only use our private domain email addresses, we still appear on too many mailing lists as ...@...our_demon_account_name...demon.co.uk, and a lot of these are mailshots are stuff we actually want to see.

Yes I am with Tiscali and well if they go all to hell then my Dad is going to Talk Talk so will be helpful not to have ISP addresses.

Thanks for all your advice

Appreciated :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 10:54:10 PM »

I have used a mixture of several companies and can strongly recommend UK Servers (website http://virtualnames.co.uk ) for domain name registration + hosting, as an email service provider and decent web hosting provider (*nix+Apache). Their email service is very flexible. They provide outgoing mail SMTP service (with SMTP-AUTH) and they offer POP and SMTP over encrypted channels too, both features important for laptop users on the move. They have the usual anti-spam and email scanning features and plenty of mailboxes. I use UK Servers myself and recommend them to my own customers. Their support is intelligent, quick and human.

I also use 123-reg as well (as Roseway recommended). For domain registration and DNS hosting only.

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 11:39:01 AM »

I'm sure that if 123-reg is good enough for Roseway then it's good enough fullstop so that may be a good bet  :)

I used to use 123reg for some years, until they bought/sold out by/to a company that moved the help centre to India ... After a couple of calls it was clear that they couldn't understand the meaning of a domain name, let alone serve it.

1and1 are alright if you want basic vanilla solutions (no mysql databases, etc.) or otherwise you start paying big bucks (i.e. there's more economical offerings out there).  By the way, they also have moved their help centre to Asia ...

I assume that the OP is looking for a cheap but reliable mail hoster and you can't get any cheaper than free!  :)  Since no one has spoken of Google Apps I thought of mentioning them here.  They offer the largest mail storage space that I know of and their mail spam filters are quite effective too.  Of course you still have to pay for your domain registration (via 123reg, or anyone else who offer domain registration services), but mail hosting (plus some other useful applications like calendar) come for free.

HTH.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:42:27 AM by Mick »
Regards,
Mick
Pages: [1] 2