Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: UPSTREAM SPEED?  (Read 5642 times)

jabns

• Reg Member
UPSTREAM SPEED?
« on: May 23, 2007, 03:40:50 PM »

Hi there,

I have an upload sync speed of 832kbit and downstream of 8128kbit and was wondering why i could only ever achieve US speeds of 650kbps and no higher. I usd to to only sync at 768kbit US and was wondering if my profile was still stuck at that ( i am with force9 ).  Because if i go to my other building that has always had 832kbit US sync speed i can upload at 710kbps all the time. My modem has an option to change the output power of the modem is this worth trying.

NOTE: i do not know much about the way that US speeds work and does this have the same sort of IP profile that DS speeds do, ect.

I have heard that if you change the output power of your router too much it can interfear with your DS SNR.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:45:07 PM by jabns »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: UPSTREAM SPEED?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »

The standard upstream sync for max premium is 832 kbps.  Max dsl is rate adaptive though and if need be it can "borrow" from the upstream.  However the downstream sync has to get pretty low before this starts to happen.

Although there isnt an IP profile for upstream like there is with downstream, you will never get the full upstream throughput speeds because of TCP etc overheads. 710 kbps sounds about right and what I now get.

Interestingly and something worth noting - is that when I first got maxed, iirc it was around 680kbps and I could never break the 700 mark.... but last year they did something at the exchange and Im sure I got moved to a different dsalm (MSAN? and I can no longer trace to the RAS).. but my upstream increased to a constant 709/710 kbps.
This is the same whether I use the PN platform or go via BTs RIN network.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 01:21:55 AM »

My house which is on princes way gets the full sync speeds 8128kbps and 832kbps just like my office on poulton road, yet my house gets a lower throughput speed on the upstream 650kbps yet at the office gets 710kbps. so i was wondering what it was caused by.

If it is the DSLAM how the hell did you get changed  ;) .

I am probably pushing my luck now because i have just gone from 2.5mb to 8mb (they changed my line length by 1km) lol.

NOTE: i just thought it was wierd because i am am syncing at the max yet i am not getting the full throughput as you said 710kbps. Can some of the DSLAMs only go to 650kbps per line or something. I also thought it was wierd because it does not seem to be contention either.

Many thanks,
James Barlow

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 02:24:29 AM »

Over the years I think Ive have been on several dslams. 
My history with BTw and contention goes back a long way (dunno if you ever heard of the Broadband4Blackpool site?)

Ive had a couple of "lift and shifts", but I think the last one was a move generated by BTw from the old [first fitted dslams] to a new MSAN. Another of the moves was generated when I upped from the old 50:1 to 20:1.  However if youre already on MAX and on an MSAN, then that doesnt seem to require a change of line card like it used to. 
I suspect it was the move on to the MSAN that gave me the bit better throughput.

Different kit at the exchanges are sometimes responsible for very slightly higher speeds.
Take for eg the theoretical maximum sync speed for an interleaved line on max is supposed to be 7616.  But there are some lines that can be interleaved and still attain higher than 7616.  This seems to be down to the combination of your own router and more importantly the dslam.

Unfortunately BTw wont look at anything like this even if you tried to raise it as a fault - since its still well within acceptable parameters :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 04:26:19 AM »

Thought i was pushing my look a bit  ::) .

Oh well i will have a mess around at my end to see if i can get a few more kbps out of it  ;) .

Thanks for the help,
James Barlow

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 05:38:04 PM »

It was my QOS settings.  :lol:

Many thanks for the help,
James Barlow

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 07:55:13 PM »

Glad you sussed it :)
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 04:23:59 AM »

Take a look at my sig  8) ! I just gave my modem a kick up the a**  :lol:

Many thanks,
James Barlow

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 05:00:42 AM »

>> down 8708
>> up 1357

I looked at that and went huh - not possible  ???.. so I cheated and looked to see which ISP you were connecting via.

At £29.99 per line (plus a £10 bonding fee) I think they offer one of the cheapest bonded lines Ive seen.

lol do you realise the 2 lines are contending with each other.. and probably my line too.
* kitz goes to nick a bit of your bandwidth  :P

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 05:29:09 AM »

btw notice your location is stated as 150 miles from london.

I wonder how/where ookla get that info from.  I notice that when I did a speedtest the other day, they had my location as Rawtenstall, today they have it as Prestwich.

Umm nvm now Im at Urmston -  all 3 in the Manchester area though
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 09:21:45 AM »

They will speed up soon  :P . One of the BRAS profiles is still stuck at 2.5MB but yes your right when i run a speedtest at both my home(bonded) and work at the same time(40MB file) my home connection drops my office by 1MB  :lol: .

Not bad though, we did a deal and i get three lines for £80/m all of which are max premium uncontended(at there end). Two are at my house and one at the office.

Everyone also says that it is best to have each line on a different DSLAM to avoid the above.

The speedtest always changed for me as well its a bit stupid at the moment. I am also having to raise my average speed from when i only had one line in the bond up  :( . About 20 tests a night!

Its nice to see in firefox and IE = "Downloading at 1.1MB/s"

** note **
I am going to have to watch the download limit though because i have never worked to one of them and i usually download about 70GB a month  :o .

Many thanks,
James Barlow
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:26:28 AM by jabns »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 11:16:13 AM »

I had a quick look and their pricing seems pretty good - you also seem to have got yourself a  damn good deal. 

Their basic pricing at £29.99 for 20GB would seem a tad high for most users, but where they really seem to come into their own is when you add the "bolt-ons" - such as only £4 extra for premium and the bonding.

>> I am going to have to watch the download limit though

Not too bad I suppose since its only between 10am-10pm (and upstream isnt included) - you should be able to schedule any large downloads for offpeak.

>> Everyone also says that it is best to have each line on a different DSLAM to avoid the above.

Yep - unfortunately BTw are a law onto themselves and you can't pick and choose which dslam they put you on.   From what Ive seen they seem to be shoving everyone on MSAN1 atm and theres nothing you can do about it.
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 01:09:06 PM »

>> I had a quick look and their pricing seems pretty good - you also seem to have got yourself a  damn good deal.

I know, before i was on PN/F9 paying £80 for 2 MAX premium lines now i get 3 for £80 AND 2 of them are bonded over MLPPP. Oh and i also got these for free:
http://www.upstreaminter.net/january_2007.shtml  - these cards are very easy to tweak if you are safe and feel confident to dabble into Linux.

they also do not limit or throttle AND there bonded lines get the capacity of both lines so for me 40GB.  ;D

>>Yep - unfortunately BTw are a law onto themselves and you can't pick and choose which dslam they put you on.   From what Ive seen they seem to be shoving everyone on MSAN1 atm and theres nothing you can do about it.

Yes thats why everyones results are so random and why it depends on where you live.

On regards to the speed i think our VP's have just been updated because i noticed when i checked the ZEN checker our status finally went to green and within the next week my speeds improved.

Many thanks,
James Barlow
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 04:02:36 PM by jabns »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 02:32:46 PM »

yeah I saw they had been on red...  but tbh I think that may have been one of the dslams thats been updated - cause the msan i reakon Im on has been ok (touch wood) since earlier this year, and I can normally get 7Mb off peak and 5-6Mb peak
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »

I will post the results when i have finished the line training in 2 weeks.

Thanks,
James Barlow

anything