Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How do I create a Windows bootable Disc.  (Read 7897 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
How do I create a Windows bootable Disc.
« on: May 12, 2009, 03:07:40 AM »

I am trying (trying being the optimum word) because it's trying even my patience at the moment.

I have a genuine XP Pro license Number but not the original disc, so have used another XP pro disc to try and reinstall the OS but keep hitting the same problem of it being a wrong serial number for the type of disc being used.

I've tried various CDs (OEM, VLK and Retail) but when they get to the serial number part they all tell me it's the wrong version for my serial number, so after some other advice and guidance from here:- http://www.freepctech.com/pc/xp/xp00066.shtml I have altered the "PID number" to what I hope will be the correct one for my S/N.

But when trying to burn/create a windows bootable disc none of them will boot into the install mode.

So-far I have created a couple of bootable disc's using both Nero and PowerISO, but it appears to be a DOS boot disc so those will not work either as they are the wrong type of boot disc.

Any advice will be greatly received.

edit
Heading changed slightly.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 02:22:57 PM by oldfogy »

stevie

• Reg Member
Re: How do I create a Windows boot Disc.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:45:11 AM »

I found this, it might help identify which type of XP CD you need based on your COA, I did have a link to another way of checking, but I can`t find it.

Gotta go to work, but will have a look later on.

I know that XP Pro OEM / Retail and Volume License can be differentiated based on Product ID ranges (eg, second number of 640 is Volume License), but not Key. I'll look into it for the Home edition.

Edit:
Here's a list of Product Codes. This is the first number of the Product ID.
55274 : XP Pro generic OEM or Volume License (VL is a special case of OEM)
55276 : XP Pro (upgrade)
55276 : XP Home (?) '
55277 : XP Home generic OEM
55285 : XP Pro '
55661 : XP Pro (retail)
76475 : XP Home (upgrade) (?)
76477 : XP Home Royalty OEM
76487 : XP Media Center Edition 2005
76487 : XP Pro Royalty OEM
76487 : XP Pro volume license (with '640' channel ID)
76500 : XP MCE 2005 (XP Pro with AD/GPO disabled)
76588 : XP Pro x64 OEM

The second number is Channel ID

000 : Other (includes some retail, upgrade and evaluation versions)
007 : Retail
009 : Not for resale - bundle
011 : XP Home Upgrade
OEM : OEM (This does not specify royalty or normal OEM)
270 : Volume License
296 : MSDN
308/347 : Microsoft Action Pack subscription
335 : Retail
640 through 648, 652 : Volume License (usually generated via 270 CID in setupp.ini)
699 : Volume Windows XP Tablet Edition
071 : Possible, but unknown. Possibly an SP2 integrated install of some variety.

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:31:33 PM »

I'm not sure if this is possible but I think you could try downloading a .iso image of Windows XP pro and run your serial with that.
Imagine™

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:48:20 PM »

I found this, it might help identify which type of XP CD you need based on your COA,
I did have a link to another way of checking, but I can`t find it.
Thanks Stevie,
It's not exactly what I needed, but it will most certainly come in handy at some time.

.. you could try downloading a .iso image of Windows XP pro and run your serial with that.
Tried that, but to-date on the last xx number of disc's I've tried they do not recognise my S/N.
"Wrong s/n for this install" or something similar.

However,
I did eventually manage to change the PID on one of the disc's I have and did a re-install without any problems, but I had to use the S/N from the previous installation which was something I did not want to do, although it has passed the WGA "without using any skulduggery"
But that's not the point, but at the moment it appears that that's all I'm going to get.

At some point in the future I might get in touch with MS and ask if they can tell me from my S/N which type it is and what build version.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:44:01 AM »

If you can find the build & version that you need, then maybe someone might be able to find a copy for you.. ::)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: How do I create a Windows bootable Disc.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 02:21:43 PM »

At some point in the future I might get in touch with MS and ask if they can tell me from my S/N which type it is and what build version.

I only have the S/N to go by, so unless anyone can work it out from that, then there is not much chance.

But coming back onto my original question, "How do I create a Windows bootable Disc"

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 05:22:49 PM »

4 ways that I can see are possible.

1... If you`ve got a CD that doesn`t boot (as in not bootable) try a booting from a boot disc, then navigate to the setup.exe file on the non-bootable cd & it should install. http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm or try Barts bootdisc & there is another which escapes me

2.... Create a bootable CD...How, not to sure exactly. But have a gander at this tut. http://old.bink.nu/xpbootcd/

3..... Install Wndows & Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup CD/DVD on a System with Windows Pre-loaded  http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml ...This could be possible by installing xp or alternatively copying i386 to your HDD from one of your XP Discs, modding the PID No. & then creating a CD.

4.... Obtain a copy that matches your COA & make a copy.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »

4 ways that I can see are possible.

1... If you`ve got a CD that doesn`t boot (as in not bootable) try a booting from a boot disc, then navigate to the setup.exe file on the non-bootable cd & it should install. http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm or try Barts bootdisc & there is another which escapes me

2.... Create a bootable CD...How, not to sure exactly. But have a gander at this tut. http://old.bink.nu/xpbootcd/

3..... Install Wndows & Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup CD/DVD on a System with Windows Pre-loaded  http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml ...This could be possible by installing xp or alternatively copying i386 to your HDD from one of your XP Discs, modding the PID No. & then creating a CD.

4.... Obtain a copy that matches your COA & make a copy.
1. Tried that but selecting the setup.exe file did not work (for me that is)
2. That's not a problem, except they end-up being DOS boot disc's which windows does not then like on the same cd as the windows install files.
3. I can get around that problem with using a Norton Ghost image.

4. That's the main problem because I can't seem to find one. (at the moment)

However, I originally got around the main problem with using a iso that was bootable, then by using PowerISO, I then changed the PID from there then burnt to disc.

So problem now solved and thanks for your input with some very useful info.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 11:25:32 AM »

Dont know if this is of any help.

Unlocking WinXP's setupp.ini

WinXP's setupp.ini controls how the CD acts. IE is it an OEM version or retail? First, find your setupp.ini file in the i386 directory on your WinXP CD. Open it up, it'll look something like this:

ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05
Pid=55034000

The Pid value is what we're interested in. What's there now looks like a standard default. There are special numbers that determine if it's a retail, oem, or volume license edition. First, we break down that number into two parts. The first five digits determines how the CD will behave, ie is it a retail cd that lets you clean install or upgrade, or an oem cd that only lets you perform a clean install? The last three digits determines what CD key it will accept. You are able to mix and match these values. For example you could make a WinXP cd that acted like a retail cd, yet accepted OEM keys.

Now, for the actual values. Remember the first and last values are interchangable, but usually you'd keep them as a pair:

Retail = 51882 335
Volume License = 51883 270
OEM = 82503 OEM

So if you wanted a retail CD that took retail keys, the last line of your setupp.ini file would read:

Pid=51882335

And if you wanted a retail CD that took OEM keys, you'd use:

Pid=51882OEM

Note that this does NOT get rid of WinXP's activation. Changing the Pid to a Volume License will not bypass activation. You must have a volume license (corporate) key to do so.

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

Some more info on the Volume Labels.
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=312

See attached iso, it is a striped XP image but bootable.

Just add the XP disc files or any other data to the image and make sure it retains bootable format.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:11:28 PM by BritBrat »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »

Dont know if this is of any help.
Unlocking WinXP's setupp.ini

See attached iso, it is a striped XP image but bootable.
Just add the XP disc files or any other data to the image and make sure it retains bootable format.
1. I already have that.
2. I can "now" already do that.

But many thanks for the info "it is appreciated"

The problem is trying to get the PID to recognize my genuine s/n.
I did manage to create a CD for a OEM setup which "does accept my previously installed s/n" but not the original genuine s/n, and as previously said now allows me to install XP pro without having to do skulduggery, which does make life a lot easier.

Although the COA came attached to the Samsung P28 Laptop, it does not state if OEM or anything else.
However, just because it does not state OEM does not mean it is OEM or is not OEM.
(I also have 2 other OEM disc's but only one of the COA stickers state OEM, so this is not helping matters)

However, I shall be making further disc's using the retail PID etc to see if that solves the problem.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »

Then your serial and PID are not matching.

If it came with a laptop I would guess it was OEM.

Put it into Google as they are not user specific and see what comes up.

EDIT:

Maybe they are as i just tested it but I am sure I have found them before.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:36:41 PM by BritBrat »

anything