Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New to Linux  (Read 10457 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: New to Linux
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 06:47:43 PM »

To answer your second question first, '~' is shorthand for your home directory. So that pathname is actually /home/your-name/.share/skins2.

The dot in .share indicates that it's a hidden directory, so if you want to see it in a file manager you'll need to enable the option 'Show hidden files' which should be somewhere in its configuration.

Wine isn't perfect (of course) because it's trying to do a pretty amazing job, which is to emulate a Windows environment so that programs think they're running in Windows when in fact they're running in Linux. That being said, it does a very good job with some Windows programs - for example I run Routerstats and DMT with Wine, and they work perfectly. I don't know about WMP or your ballistics reticle program I'm afraid. You may get some information from the Wine website or just give it a try and see if it works.
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »

To answer your second question first, '~' is shorthand for your home directory. So that pathname is actually /home/your-name/.share/skins2.

The dot in .share indicates that it's a hidden directory, so if you want to see it in a file manager you'll need to enable the option 'Show hidden files' which should be somewhere in its configuration.

Thank eric..but forgive me for being a pain, but I'm not much wiser as to what I'm supposed to do!
1/ Where do I find my home directory?

2/ I'm assuming that this 'skin' that I've downloaded, I need to move to this hidden directory, then install it from there! Does that sound correct to you!

Perhaps I'd better put this project 'to bed' for a time, 'cos I'm getting more and more frustrated! :lol:
If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 10:36:27 PM »

Your home directory is /home/your-username (your-username being the name you chose for yourself when you installed the system).

I'm afraid I don't know anything about VLC, so I can't really help, but you're probably right to assume that the new skin needs to be copied to that directory.
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 11:47:59 PM »

I think that I'm not explaining my problem too well! I'll try again.

What do I click on, to get to my home directory! The only thing that I can see that says 'Home', is 'Places' ->'Home Folder'. I understand that this is very basic to you,but I'm completely in the dark about where to find these 'directories'! :-[

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 06:59:59 AM »

>> The only thing that I can see that says 'Home', is 'Places' ->'Home Folder'.

That's it. It should open a file manager with your home directory in view.
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 08:12:55 AM »

Okey dokey....getting somewhere now! However, that file path isn't quite the same as mine! To get to the 'VLC' folder, the path on this machine is........./home/my-name/local/.share/vlc and not..../home/your-name/.share/skins2.

There is no 'skins' folder!..Never mind, I'll have a fiddle about with things and see what happens!

Thanks for your patience!

Ratae

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 12:48:24 AM »

Well it seems that there is a problem with the vlc player and adding skins.Having looked at threads on the Ubuntu forums, many very experienced users are reporting the same problem!

Anyhow...I can't get the bbc Iplayer to work! Obviously it's not a huge problem, as I can always reboot into the windows partition if necessary, but it would be nice if I could make ubuntu my main o/s on this machine!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 07:29:41 AM »

VLC probably isn't the best solution. I use Adobe Flash which works straight out of the box with iPlayer. I presume that it's available for Ubuntu - there should be an 'add/remove software' program on the menu.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2]