Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Maybe a dumb question, but....  (Read 2064 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Maybe a dumb question, but....
« on: May 22, 2007, 05:37:57 PM »

Hello all,

Am I right in thinking that Downstream Line Attenuation ought to be fairly constant ? Mine seems to vary between 49db and 52db, not a huge amount admittedly. I usually sync at somewhere between 2900 and 3140kbps, but it varies each day. Downstream Noise Margin appears to be set at 15dB. I also quite often see messages in my RouterStats log saying 'LCP Down' followed by 'Initialize LCP', 'LCP is allowed to come up' and 'Chap authentication success'. It's not unusual to have a lower sync rate following this sequence. Any ideas, or is this how it's supposed to work ?

I am currently using a Netgear DG834 (v3) and Talktalk (Up to 8Mb), but am moving house soon, so I will probably ditch the latter. (Long story, but as an example of their incompetence - I used to have Caller ID on my phone line, then suddenly in February this year it stopped working. Around a month later they told me that it was a nationwide problem, affecting all their users, but a fix was planned for April. Guess what). Who thinks I ought to stay with them, anyone ????

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Maybe a dumb question, but....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 06:47:29 PM »

Well, it's not a dumb question, it's a reasonable one. I've never known the downstream attenuation to vary much at all, although different routers can report slightly different values. Your sync speed is in the right region for your level of attenuation, but the rather frequent reconnections are of some concern.

It might be that your line has the beginnings of a high resistance fault, and that's making the attenuation vary a bit. If this is the case then it will probably get worse over time, but if you're moving soon I guess that you're not really bothered. :)

Eric
  Eric

jabns

• Reg Member
Re: Maybe a dumb question, but....
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:58:36 PM »

Hi there,

I used to have an attenuation of around 31.5db this to also changed regually 31.5 - 35db. I rung my ISP up and told them about it and they said i had to wait until my sync speed dropped below my IP Profile Acceptabe speed. This did not take long as i seemed to lose about 100+ kbps of it on a daily basis. When it did i got in touch with plusnet and they setup a fault with BT. BT cut my phone line of for 5 hours and when it came back on my attenuation was 21.5db  :o . Now my speed has gone from 2mb - 4mb all the way to a constant 8128kbps. And they lowered my Target SNR now from 12db to 9db.

NOTE: i aso had a fluctuating upstream sync speed a long timem before i had any DS problems (that might be because of the Millions of lamp posts i have all over my street now!!!)?????

Hope that might help,
James Barlow
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:39:41 PM by jabns »

anything