Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Nokia PC Suite problem  (Read 8820 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Nokia PC Suite problem
« on: May 13, 2009, 03:01:29 PM »

Until recently I was able to connect my Nokia 2639 mobile phone to my pc via Nokia PC Suite, 2 days ago I tried and failed to connect, my phone not recognised and I was advised to install the latest updated version 7.1.18.0.

This too failed to connect so I uninstalled Nokia PC Suite and reinstalled again.

This time I wa able to use the connect wizard and my phone was recofnised but had a 'padlock' symbol next to it, I continued with the set up and received the message, 'Phone needs to be paired' (with my PC) clicked 'next' to continue, when asked I entered the automatically provided passcode on my phone, that was shown as paired.

Waited for a while then message stating, 'Cannot Authenticate the phone ' appeard on the pc.

I suspect the 'Padlock' symbol is the cause of my troubles but have no idea how to remove it.

Can anyone help please??

Peter

PS Forgot to say I am using bluetooth usb gadget to connect.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:03:58 PM by Peter »

camallison

• Kitizen
Re: Nokia PC Suite problem
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:47:57 PM »

Nokia PC suite only really works well over a cable link - any other link and you can have problems.  That has been true since the early 6110 phones and v. 4 of data suite.  I trust you mean you have a 2630 phone.

The programme is a 3rd party product and Nokia give little if any support.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 04:23:08 PM »

:-[I did indeed mean the 2630 phone Camallison.

Was I just lucky to have it working via the bluetooth then? 

so now I ask what do I need to connect via cable link?, lots of cables from other gadgets maybe one will do the job?

Peter

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:39:22 PM »

I think you must have been lucky for it to work over the bluetooth link even though that is supposed to be the only official route - I have seen it do so myself, although intermittently.  The cable is, I think, a normal usb cable?  The difference is that they use different software to that supplied in Nokia Data Suite.

I googled and found these:

http://www.datakits.co.uk/store/nokia-2630-2600c-2760-usb-data-cable-software-and-ringtones-p-5284.html?language=en#googlebase

http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/datacables/nokia/nokia_mini_easy_port_usb_cable.htm

Colin

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 04:53:04 PM »

Many thanks for that Colin I think that looks just about in my price range too! ;)

I had looked up one of the Nokia PC Suite forums and saw that many others had had similar problems too, although to be fair quite a few had not, so frustrating this technology for an old un! :baby:

Peter

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »

Glad to have been of help.   :)

>> so frustrating this technology for an old un!

I celebrated my 61st birthday exactly one week ago ....... but grew up with the technology, programming my first "computer" in 1965.  Nokia have a reputation for updating their handsets without any thought for the poor consumer.

I bet you don't upgrade your handset every 18 months the way some of the young uns do ..... or sooner if they have the money.

Colin
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:21:55 AM by camallison »

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 08:01:16 PM »

To be honest Colin this is my first moblie phone, bought under duress as a means of keeping in touch during an recent illness my wife had.

Mybe you can answer this for me, I have found that over night the battery runs down even when the phone is switched off, is this normal? :no:

Peter

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:20:41 AM »

Are you sure you are switching it fully off?  If I remember correctly, you need to press and hold the off button for some 10 seconds for it to fully switch off.  Forgive me if you do this already - but I had to ask   :)

PS - I hope your wife is well on the road to recovery.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:22:47 AM by camallison »

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 09:57:48 AM »

???My first thought was I hadn't switched it off, but I had, maybe we have a ghost making late night calls! :'(

Wife is doing fine righjt now thanks.

Peter

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:35:01 AM »

All I can suspect is that you have a dying battery - there was a batch (sold through O2 if I remember correctly) that did have problems within a year.

The good news is that a replacement battery is cheap:

http://www.uk-mobilestore.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=312

Colin :)

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 02:55:57 PM »

Cheap as chips Colin, and I've only had the phone a short while, less than 12 months anyway.

Peter

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 03:49:23 PM »

Lithium polymer batteries can be a bit of a lottery, with the "paste" inside drying out even during manufacture.  In the past few years, in an attempt to lower costs, firms such as Nokia may have gone too far and ended up with bad batches.  Luckily, replacements are quite cheap, but equally liable to failure unfortunately.

anything