Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Routers for long lines.  (Read 14030 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Routers for long lines.
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »

Hi all,

After reading other threads about the Netgear DG 834Gv4 being good on long lines,is ther any other routers that would be good in that situation.

I have seen a Zyxel one on EBuyer,also someone has mentioned the D-Link..........any thoughts please.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145248#

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Routers for long lines.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »

Personally I think that Zyxel is overrated, but that's just my opinion/prejudice. The DG834Gv3 was astoundingly good at holding on to a connection when the signal was almost lost in the noise, but its AR7 chipset did have some other problems. The safest bet is a router which uses a Broadcom chipset, and I think that the BCM6358 chipset is slightly better than the BCM6348. You can see some contenders in this list.
  Eric

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:56:27 PM »

Thomson Speedtouch 585v6 works for me! (also a Broadcom chipset - avoid AR7 Netgears!)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:34:35 PM »

Thanks guys,

I won't need one till September time,I was just seeing what options were available to me (and my long line) :)

I suppose some models could be phased out by then and new models on the scene.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »

Hi uncleUb,

The 2wire AR7 chipset works remarkably well PROVIDED the noise margin is good and not full of spikes. You'll see in an earlier post we achieved a sync speed of 896 kbps yielding a bRAS of 750 kbps with a downstream attenuation of 82 dB @ 300 kHz. (I've only seen this figure reported inside a 2wire log.) When the noise was bad before the crosstalk was cured the Thompson 585V7 or Netgear DG834V4 (both Broadcom) performed better.

So if you wish to play safe you chose a Broadcom chipset but if you wish to be adventurous try the 2wire AR7 which avoids the bug.

Kind regards,
Walter

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »

avoid AR7 Netgears!

I disagree with that.  I am using a DG934 (Sky's DG834Gv3) with standard Netgear firmware and so far it's been excellent on my line.  Now whether it has anything to do with my DSLAM hardware being manufactured by Texas Instruments, I don't really know.

What may work well on one line won't necessarily work as well on another, and the same can be said for some firmware versions.

As roseway says though, overall the safest bet would be a broadcom chipset based router, and I've found the Speedtouch 585v6 to be a good bit of kit.

Another option would be to consider a 2Wire HGV2700 (B.T. business hub), although using one isn't quite as straightforward as other routers.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 02:02:16 PM »

hi

I suppose some models could be phased out by then and new models on the scene.

You could be right. sometimes the DG834Gv4 is replaced by DG834Gv5 .

quote from Kitz :It can be a bit pot luck if you get a v4 or a v5 from some retailers

V5 has different chipset .This has disadvantages see quote from Kitz

Forgot to mention - an added bonus of the Netgear DG834Gv4 and the DG834GT is that because it is a broadcom chipset then it works with DMTtool and routerstats.  Both of these are invaluable tools for adsl diagnostics.

Regards Jeff
zen user

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »

The D-Link 2740B does seem to do well .

And also the Linksys WAG160N

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/212307/linksys-wag160n.html

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 06:52:10 PM by UncleUB »

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 07:44:35 AM »

This topic seems to resurface every now and then.  In my experience the performance that you get out of a DSL modem chip is related to the chipset on the DSLAM.  It should be expected that if your local BT exchange is running a TI chipset your modem will resonate nicer with it if it also has a TI chipset in it.  I would think that DSLAM chipset manufacturers have tested their kit with all sort of modems to make sure that EUs can still get on line, but that doesn't mean that they sweated much over improving performance for what is after all competitors retail products.

I know many people rave about Netgear, but with my BT exchange which is running an Alcatel chipset the 2WIRE 2700HGV has given me the best sync speeds.  The Netgears (DG834s, DG834Gs and DG834GT) have with different firmware given me the best part of a 1Mbps lower sync speeds.  ST (Thomson) chipset is better than the Netgears, but I think that 2WIRE has the edge (dynamic noise filter).

What is also important to note is the throughput capacity of the router.  I have found that the Netgears are pretty pathetic in terms of processing power - even with the router switched off (fully bridged mode).  During a heavy download the chipset cannot process packets fast enough and the latency increases significantly.  If you try and download more than one file at a time then the performance seems to deteriorate logarithmically.  With the 2WIRE there is no measurable difference.  This (I assume - haven't tested it yet) is not related to the DSLAM, but the capability of the router chipset itself.

Of course, YMMV ...  :)
Regards,
Mick

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 09:21:49 AM »

>> the 2WIRE 2700HGV has given me the best sync speeds

The 2Wire consistently seems to be up there and the top and is an excellent router due to it having impulse noise compensation. 
The only real downside for many is that they do seem to be more expensive and hard to get hold of in the UK. :/

>> In my experience the performance that you get out of a DSL modem chip is related to the chipset on the DSLAM.

Paring with the DSLAM chipset can make a difference and is quite well known.

One other thing that I have noticed quite a few times is that line length can appear to make a difference too.

My own (short) line without a doubt performs best with a ST router, yet another line I know very well consistently performs best with a Netgear GT.
Both lines are with the same ISP, same MSAN chipset.  Difference is that the 2nd line has a 39dB attenuation...  and yes I have tried swapping the routers between the 2 lines just to make sure it isnt just that particular one.

Even when both lines were on adslmax, on a Marconi MSAN, the 39dB line was more stable with a Netgear - In fact even when it first went live in the early days of max, it seemed to perform better with one of the old AR7 chipset Netgear DG834Gv2., although the ST had an edge due to be able to tweak.
I couldnt do a fair comparison with the shorter line because obviously when on max it was never pushed hard enough to make any difference what router I used.

Unfortunately I cant say about the 2wires on either of these lines since I dont have one to test with.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »

>> In my experience the performance that you get out of a DSL modem chip is related to the chipset on the DSLAM.

Well I have the DSL-2740B which uses Broadcom but the exchange equipment is Huwaei (sorry about spelling)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »

>> the 2WIRE 2700HGV has given me the best sync speeds

The 2Wire consistently seems to be up there and the top and is an excellent router due to it having impulse noise compensation. 
The only real downside for many is that they do seem to be more expensive and hard to get hold of in the UK. :/

Hmm... ebay seems to list them  for under a pound!

One other thing that I have noticed quite a few times is that line length can appear to make a difference too.

I didn't know that.  It is rather interesting that line length can reverse the performance results between two routers!  My line shows 38.5 to 39.8 dB attenuation depending on the router.
Regards,
Mick

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 12:27:50 PM »

Sorry mick - I meant general outlet.   AFAIK digidave is/was about the only place in the UK that you could get them last time I looked.
Even then I dont know how digidave manages to retail them for that price they do.

I was at a certain ISP a few years back when they were looking into and discussing which routers to use.  There were some 2wire samples there.. ( they were very nice..  and I did offer to take one home to test! )..  but the wholesale cost was just way too expensive for them to consider using.

Re line length thing.. this is just an observation since Ive been on Be and am now pushing my line to its limits.   Most people on Be seem to rate the Netgears as best..  yet every so often some one says but the ST works best on mine..  and in those cases they are the short lines.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 03:32:25 PM »

>>> ebay seems to list them  for under a pound!

That one that was listed has now gone to a new home  ;)
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »

I wonder who that was? :)
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2