Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: ROGUES GALLERY  (Read 10798 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: ROGUES GALLERY
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 07:01:13 PM »

Okay here goes...........

We've all heard the saying:
People in Glass house shouldn't throw stones.

or:
Use but don't abuse.

So, my question is this.
If and when during your working career did any of you "NEVER" use or take home for personal use something that belonged to the company you worked for?
Never had a sick day of which was not genuine?
Always arrived or left work on-time even if you did not have to clock-in or out.

The only difference in this situation is that,
A) It involved a lot of money in a short space of time.
B) They are supposed to be upright citizens that appear to be stealing our money.

:hmm:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »

or:
Use but don't abuse.

So, my question is this.
If and when during your working career did any of you "NEVER" use or take home for personal use something that belonged to the company you worked for?
Never had a sick day of which was not genuine?
Always arrived or left work on-time even if you did not have to clock-in or out.

The only difference in this situation is that,
A) It involved a lot of money in a short space of time.
B) They are supposed to be upright citizens that appear to be stealing our money.

:hmm:

Well I have always worked for myself so the answer to your question is 'no'

And in any case this is taxpayers money we are talking about.

And for example,how does claiming to get a chinese rug repaired contribute to running your constituency .

The bottom line is .

They made the rules and are working within those rules to bleed us dry.!!!!

The question you have to ask is who devised the system? MPs devised the system under their self-regulating arrangements

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:27:54 AM by UncleUB »

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 08:11:52 PM »

I think you are being slightly argumentative or taking some unattainable moral high ground. I doubt that any of us can claim to be perfect but surely it does not follow therefore, that we are unable to criticise others who are abusing a system for their own financial gain at the expense of the taxpayer.

The majority of the MP's being criticised are falling back on the excuse that it was within the rules.
Well, the rules need to be changed in order to stop the abuse.
All claims by MP's should , even in the current rules,  be "beyond reproach".
A lot of claims fall outside that remit and I think some claims highlighted amount to fraud, theft/pecuniary advantage.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 06:55:54 AM »

The one thing that most of these MP's have agreed on is ,'The system is wrong'

So if the system is so wrong why didn't anyone bring this to light before all these revelations were made public.   ???

I'll tell you why because they were too busy filling their boots,thats why.  :angry: :angry: :angry:

One of the worse offenders is Michael Martin,the speaker at the House of Commons,

Heres's a man who used £100,000 of tax payers money to get all these expense revelations blocked in the high court,

He now wants the police to investigate who leaked all this to the press.  >:(

The only thing the police should be investigating is these greedy MP's......Oops forgot,'they are working within the rules'

scottiesmum

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 09:12:25 AM »

I agree about Michael Martin Unc ...    he should have resigned a long time ago IMO.....  and he should go NOW !  >:(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 09:42:41 AM »

The amount he's creamed off the system ought to make him the subject of a police investigation. >:(
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 09:58:18 AM »

I agree about Michael Martin Unc ...    he should have resigned a long time ago IMO.....  and he should go NOW !  >:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8044998.stm

The latest allegations come as one MP has prepares a motion of no confidence in Commons Speaker Michael Martin over his handling of the expenses furore.

Some of these claims are just beyond belief.How these things can be claimed for in respect of doing their jobs as MP's is criminal and whether inside the rules or not,someone who claims for swimming pool maintainence should be instantly dismissed and should be charged with fraud.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:03:29 AM by UncleUB »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »

HI
reference the speaker

quote :he should have resigned a long time ago IMO.....  and he should go NOW !

Bet if he does he will get some form of golden handshake ! :angry:

zen user

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 07:23:40 AM »

Having watched Hazel Blears last nightsitting  there waving a cheque for £13000 that she's going to pay back got my blood boiling.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8047005.stm

She was talking as though she is doing the taxpayer a favour  :angry: :angry: :angry:

After MP's have agreed they were wrong and are going to pay back the money,surely this is an admission that they were wrong to claim for a lot of things and therefore should de classed as fraud

One of Elton Johns hits has been  rewritten for MP's and banking chief executives

Sorry seems to be the hardest easiest word.  >:(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 07:29:16 AM »

I just had a look at that, but I couldn't watch it all. I found myself wanting to part company with my breakfast. >:(
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 07:15:18 AM »

Nearly as good as an MEP.  :o

MEPs get paid the same as politicians in their national parliaments, which varies widely. In the case of British MEPs it is £63,000 a year. From July MEPs will have the option to have their salary paid in euros, which at the moment would give them a pay boost of up to £20,000.

It is not MEPs' salaries which normally cause controversy, but their allowances and perks.

Basic pension arrangements for MEPs and MPs are the same, but MEPs can also choose to contribute to an additional, and very generous, European Parliament pension scheme.

They get paid a 287 euros allowance, to pay for hotels, taxis and food for every day they work in the Parliament.

They are also reimbursed for weekly travel from Britain for the cost of an open economy ticket plus an allowance for distance travelled. This was worked out in an era before low-cost air travel and opponents say it can amount to a tax free bonus of £10,000 a year for each MEP.

The European Parliament also pays 190,000 euros a year towards staff costs. They are also entitled to £36,000 a year to run their offices in their home countries.

Could you manage on 287 Euros a day when you go on holiday.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:17:28 AM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 10:23:45 AM »

Well it would cover the wine   >:D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 11:02:41 AM »

Well it would cover the wine   >:D

:o

And the sun cream  ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 11:25:27 AM »

:lol:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »

Just watching Andrew Mackay on TV who has just admitted that both he and his wife (also an MP) have been claiming for maybe 8 or 9 years a second home allowance each and they only have 2 homes in total between them.
So no first home at all. >:D

Now that looks like the worst case of deliberately milking the system so far, could it even be conspiracy to defraud?  :police:

(even the bloke who claimed for his mortgage after he paid it off MAY have made a genuine mistake)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4