Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Voluntarily sign up for an ID card  (Read 3526 times)

exo

• Kitizen
Re: Voluntarily sign up for an ID card
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 09:42:35 AM »

I believe Spain has an ID card system. It did not stop the 2004 Madrid train bombings.

ID cards will not prevent terrorism so I suspect the government have a hidden agenda driving their efforts.
With the ever expanding CCTV system, we are the most watched society in the world. Combine that with the fact that every web site we visit and every email destination is being monitored and logged, then we are gradually becoming a totalitarian state.
At the moment, this government is just too inept to know what to do with all this information but in 20 or 30 years time .......... big brother may well be here.

scottiesmum

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 11:57:30 AM »

I understand that the Spanish ID system for 'foreigners' is called a " Residencia " which is on a par with the Carte de Sejour that used to exist here in France; it is a permit to live and work in that country.  We held a Carte de Sejour for 10 years up to 2003  when they were deemed no longer necessary for EU Member State nationals.    (I am aware that the Residencia in Spain is still in operation, but I think it is a choice for  individual Member States)    On our CdS there was a photo, name, address, d.o.b. and nationality -   they were very useful in instances where ID had to be deposited, which is the case in some Hotels and camp sites throughout Europe and we also used them on flights to other European countries  (except the UK !)  in place of our Passports.     However, identity papers are definitely required here for NON EU Member State Nationals.   The French Nationals do have ID cards, which they are able to use as a "Passport" for flights to other EU Countires  (except the UK)   The ID cards contain the same information as our CdS did.   

Reading about the information the UK Government intend to apply to their ID Card system, is mind boggling, and I remain cynical in that this particular Government is hell bent on building a data base on every UK citizen, the consequences of which could be startling to say the least.   They use the 'terrorist threat'  in such a way that it could be construed as emotional blackmail,and I totally agree with Exo that anyone who is intent on causing mayhem and destruction will not be deterred by an ID card.  The present UK Government are intent on surveillance to the point that if it wasn't so serious it would be farcical.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 01:35:57 PM »

I thought everyone knew the hidden agenda.

Don't you know there will be civil riots soon from people like me and you and all this security is to help the police when it happens.

No pensions.
No banks
No work

Need I go on?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:41:24 PM by BritBrat »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 05:38:14 PM »

If you have any of the following, = Then they already have your details:

Car/Vehicle owner
Driving License
Car Insurance
Passport
National Insurance Number
NHS Medical card
Registered with a doctor or Dentist
Bank Account
Registered on the Electoral roll

(Assuming any of the above are legally registered in your own name that is)

The only effective way this can work is if it's fully on display at all times for it to be truly effective.
That way, if you are not displaying it when in a public place,  :police:
Maybe we should recommend this to Gordon :doh:

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 08:17:46 PM »

This makes a total mockery of the ID card system.

Either give us all a card or don't - but charging for it is so stupid. Mind you, I guess it's on a par with the rest of the decisions made by this government lately.

Maybe it's all part of a 'dumbing down Britain' plan - to get us all used to stupid suggestions and make us all into mindless zombies... better go, there's a black helicopter hovering above me...  :police:
Chris
Pages: 1 [2]

anything