Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Linux friendly ISP wanted  (Read 14549 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Linux friendly ISP wanted
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 04:48:03 PM »

As mentioned by the others, that looks like a 1Mb fixed line.

Worth ringing your ISP and advising them that you seem to be on a 1Mb fixed circuit rather than 2Mb as it could be a configuration error at the RAS/dslam.

The surplus SNR margin shows that your line is capable of much more.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mike004

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2009, 04:05:31 PM »

Called the UK Online tech support line, and an affable Belfast man switched me over to 2176 kbps in about 10 seconds.

Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2009, 04:10:43 PM »

At last! It's good to know you got there in the end. :)
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2009, 04:17:56 PM »

Excellent, so what do the router stats look like now?

mike004

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2009, 04:47:16 PM »

System Up Time 00:54:14
Port    Status    TxPkts    RxPkts    Collisions    Tx B/s    Rx B/s    Up Time
WAN    PPPoA    46849    88545    0    1043    45683    00:45:52
LAN    10M/100M    90248    48528    0    39452    1216    00:54:12
WLAN    11M/54M    0    0    0    0    0    00:00:00

ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    2176 kbps    288 kbps
Line Attenuation    58.0 db    31.5 db
Noise Margin    18.1 db    13.0 db

mike004

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »

System Up Time 00:54:14
Port    Status    TxPkts    RxPkts    Collisions    Tx B/s    Rx B/s    Up Time
WAN    PPPoA    46849    88545    0    1043    45683    00:45:52
LAN    10M/100M    90248    48528    0    39452    1216    00:54:12
WLAN    11M/54M    0    0    0    0    0    00:00:00

ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    2176 kbps    288 kbps
Line Attenuation    58.0 db    31.5 db
Noise Margin    18.1 db    13.0 db

Do these figures say anything about my internal wiring?
My telephone line crackles seem to have gone away for the moment after shoving filters in every available extension!
Mike

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »

Not enough detail from that (Netgear?) router to tell much, other than on ADSL-Max you'd still expect about 3mbps and slightly faster upstream.
If ADSL2+ became available you'd also get about 3mbps (maybe slightly over) but a significant increase in Upstream speed to well over 1mbps if that's of any use.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2009, 05:46:33 PM »

iirc,does the UK Online lite package only give you 256kbps upstream ?

mike004

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2009, 07:56:10 PM »

Not enough detail from that (Netgear?) router to tell much, other than on ADSL-Max you'd still expect about 3mbps and slightly faster upstream.
If ADSL2+ became available you'd also get about 3mbps (maybe slightly over) but a significant increase in Upstream speed to well over 1mbps if that's of any use.

Yes, its a Netgear router. It was all very easy to set up, really.
The UK Online Lite service is 2 meg download, so I am happy enough that I am now getting what I paid for.
As for upload speeds, I don't know what the Lite service provides. But I don't think I'll need a fast upload.

Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2009, 04:30:55 PM »

>> Called the UK Online tech support line, and an affable Belfast man switched me over to 2176 kbps in about 10 seconds.

Glad that got sorted... mistakes do happen, but the advantage here was that you spoke to UK support who at least was able to correct it.   Ive seen similar happen with other ISPs can it can be a nightmare to get their support to understand the problem... nevermind correct it promptly.

Those stats actually look quite good for your line length and show that at the time you took those stats that the line could actually handle faster speeds.

However, it would perhaps be advisable first to is you say monitored the SNRM with router stats to see how much the SNRM fluctuates over the course of the day.. and/or over a longer period.

But a SNRM of 18dB would point to that line having at least approx another 1600 kb in it.. maybe more if it was stable.
The only thing is, is because the line is long then it may need a higher target SNR... and less bits are more likely to be loaded at the higher frequencies.

But as it stands.. that line looks good. :)

Its worth pointing out to others that iirc the 2Mb package was chosen specifically because it was better value on a line that may not be able to support that much more.  The line had an unknown record previously only having had dial up.. and stability and support is considered more important than pushing the line to its maximum with all the possible problems that that could bring.  2Mb speeds after years of dial up is going to seem like the op is flying.

It was unfortunate that mike had a few teething problems :/ but UKO do seem to have a continued excellent good track record when it comes to what they do and their support at least seem to be about one of the better ones when it comes to sorting stuff out.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Ammit

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2009, 04:29:34 PM »

Are they not going to stop doing these fixed rate lines at some point though?? I thought that was the case.  I have been advised by Griffin that most things are going to be going rate adaptive at some point very soon.

I give up with most ISPs now, I am so glad that I am wise to the rubbish support a lot of them do give, you may pay more with ISPs such as Griffin and Zen but at least you get some decent service when things go wrong - which they sometimes do as we all know.

Nice that things are up and running now though.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »

>> I have been advised by Griffin that most things are going to be going rate adaptive at some point very soon.

LLU providers can do what they want on their own equipment and offer their own product sets.

BT Wholesale started moving away from the traditional fixed rate products and encouraging IPStream ISPs to use the rate adaptive products a couple of years ago.

UKO (and Sky) LLU is provided on Easynet DSLAMS who both offer 3 options: >2Mb, >8Mb, >16Mb
These products are still rate adaptive in that they will sync 'up to' the highest it can in each category but is capped at that particular speed.

Tiscali LLU has lots of different profiles that an ISP can choose such as 512, 1Mb, 2Mb, 4Mb, 6Mb 8Mb etc..  again these products can be rate adaptive and 'up to' as long as the line can handle it.

Even though BTw are now discouraging the fixed rate lines, they still offer what they call "Max capped rate profiles" for 512, 1Mb & 2Mb..  not all ISPs are aware of this though.  BTw still charges the same price whether its 512kb max capped or full >8Mb and because these products are now actually cheaper than the traditional fixed rate products, then IPStream ISPs just simply 'maxdsl' the line.

-----

Ammit

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2009, 11:49:32 PM »

Interesting.  I have taken to just selling the up to 8mbps products and the 24mbps products otherwise I'd be in a situation where everything would be tailored to a line - and then the line could change.... I hope this is the best solution.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2009, 02:11:24 AM »

>> I have taken to just selling the up to 8mbps products and the 24mbps products otherwise I'd be in a situation where everything would be tailored to a line - and then the line could change.... I hope this is the best solution.

If you are reselling products say from eclipse/tiscali/etc, then you will only be presented with the 'usual' options.

Its when you purchase direct from the LLU wholesalers (eg BT Wholesale, Tiscali Wholesale, Easynet) that you have more flexibility.

Its important to remember that say resold tiscali isnt the same as purchasing from Tiscali wholesale..  in the same way that BT Internet (retail) isnt the same as BT Wholesale. 
For example Plusnet at one time as well as using BTw Centrals, also purchased bandwidth direct from Tiscali Wholesale.  This actually gave them more flexibility and allowed them to give their home users 800 kbps upstream... something that wasnt available at the time to Tiscali retail users.

UKO and sky have the same parent company...  because Sky also bought out Easynet..  so I guess they are big enough and have the pulling power to do what they like ;) If the ISP is big enough or actually own the LLU provision then they can start calling the shots and say what they want.

vISPs such as yourself normally have less options and can only resell the ready made type packages.

-----
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything