Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Linux friendly ISP wanted  (Read 14520 times)

mike004

Re: Linux friendly ISP wanted
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 10:56:41 AM »

>> Can I just connect via network cable to a wireless router, and "switch off" the wireless capability of the router.

Yes you can. If you dont have wireless its recommended you do so.

Its the adsl chipset in the Netgear DG834GT which is very good, and this particular router is the one that we often recommend for long lines due to its stability and being able to cope well on them.

>> sorry for my questions.

No problems - it can seem a daunting task getting adsl for the first time.  Theres so many choices that can be made.  You are doing the right thing asking.

In that case, UK Online seems to be reasonable. 15 quid a month, 12 month contract. 50 quid for a router, which should be more Linux-friendly than a USB modem, and more secure, I expect.
A couple more newbie questions:
* Is the BT Home Hub a wireless router, same as the Netgear kit supplied by UK Online?
* Can I still use my normal BT landline phone after getting connected up to broadband?

Thanks
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 11:07:43 AM »

Yes the BT home Hub can be used wirelessly

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-home-hub-2-0-56B4.html#description

And yes you can use your phone,you just need a micro filter which plugs into your phone socket.

Then you plug your router into one connector and your phone into the other.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-adsl-micro-filter-rs-4D46.html?q=micro%20filters

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »

>> Is the BT Home Hub a wireless router, same as the Netgear kit supplied by UK Online?

Yes, the Hub is a BT branded router. Under the hood its a Thompson/Speedtouch that BT put their own firmware on and outer box.

It has good wireless capabilities - so does the DG834GT.  However, IMHO the adsl chipset and firmware isnt as good as the Netgears.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mike004

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 01:19:22 PM »

I am wavering...the Be There package is 12 months at 13.50 quid, with a free router.
Online checking tools say my absolute max. speed is 2.5 megabits. So there's no use me going for performance....

Looking at the broadband deals is a real headache :(

Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »

Looking at the broadband deals is a real headache

One thing to consider is technical support(if and when you need it)

A lot of the bigger isp's have Indian support which is borderering on abysmal.

I think I am right in saying Be,O2 and UKOnline have UK based support.( someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

You will find most of the smaller isp's will have UK based technical support,ie Newnet,Zen and all the Entanet resellers

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 04:08:15 PM »

The best advise to be given at any point is, make sure the Customer Services and Tech teams have enough knowledge to help. As Kitz said, it is daunting but there is no such thing as a stupid question, only questions that are not asked.

As for the deals, do shop around, but note that not all deals are what they seem. Make sure you check the small print, and ask around for opinions. Be have a good following now and I am sure there are a few here who would agree.

I work for Zen and use Zen, and there are a few who swear by them as well. All in all take your time and do look around.

Leo
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 04:11:20 PM »

AFIAK

AOL - Indian
Be - Bulgaria, but they are very knowledgeable.
BT - India
Enta - UK
ID Net - UK
Newnet - UK
O2 - UK
Orange - India
Plusnet - UK
Sky - India
TalkTalk - Indian
Tiscali - India
UK Online - UK
Zen - UK
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mike004

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 01:21:37 PM »

Just signed up with UK Online. I also tried the Be sales line, but the number was unavailable! Incredible. ..
One problem, though. I asked for an estimated line speed. The call centre chap said they couldn't give me an estimate. According to their database, my post code didn't match the BT line number.

A bit worrying...

Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 03:47:29 PM »

Good luck with UKO - they are one of the better ISPs and when ever Ive spoken to their CS they do seem very knowledgeable.

Let us know how it goes :)

Re the database.. not sure what could have been the problem.. the BTw database is on occasions wrong.
Did you get any errors showing when you used my checker.. and did that give you an estimated line speed?

-----

mike004

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »

Good luck with UKO - they are one of the better ISPs and when ever Ive spoken to their CS they do seem very knowledgeable.

Let us know how it goes :)

Re the database.. not sure what could have been the problem.. the BTw database is on occasions wrong.
Did you get any errors showing when you used my checker.. and did that give you an estimated line speed?

I check out OK using your (and other web sites) line checkers.
Here is the line speed given by kitz:

Fixed ADSL:      1024 kbps      (1 Mb)
   DSL Max :      2500 kbps    (2.5 Mb)
   21CN WBC :    3000 kbps    (3 Mb)

Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 08:01:17 PM »

not sure why they couldnt get a result then. 
Most of them all revolve around the BTw one.

As regards speed... the BTw estimates are normally a bit conservative.. since they have to account for variations in the internal line conditions, type of router used etc.

Therefore if your line is in good condition you should get 3Mb.  We will be able to tell performance better when you are connected and can get stats from your router.
-----

mike004

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2009, 09:05:17 AM »

Therefore if your line is in good condition you should get 3Mb.  We will be able to tell performance better when you are connected and can get stats from your router.

I have signed up for the 2meg Lite option. So, I assume I will get 2 meg max.
Re: wiring. The internal phone wiring in the house is pretty old. At the main BT socket, I use a splitter. One feed goes to the phone nearby, the other goes 3m under the carpet and the door frame, to the next room to my computer. Will this be an issue?

If it is, I suppose I could always go wireless...
Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 09:48:19 AM »

Re: wiring. The internal phone wiring in the house is pretty old. At the main BT socket, I use a splitter. One feed goes to the phone nearby, the other goes 3m under the carpet and the door frame, to the next room to my computer. Will this be an issue?

Quite possibly. If you're using one of the normal readily available extension leads into the computer room, then it very likely won't have twisted-pair wiring, and will be vulnerable to pickup of interference. The best option technically (if the master socket is an NTE5 type) would be to get a filtered faceplate with the router connected directly to it, and an ethernet cable from there to the computer room. If the ethernet cable isn't a practical option then wireless would be OK, and homeplugs would be better.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 11:09:35 AM »

In view of your line achieving somewhere around 2-3Mb tops* then you probably did the right thing in signing up for the 2Mb account.

*The problem is those are just estimates and it does depend on your own particular line...  which until it goes live and you can get some linestats from your router we cant really say for sure.

Re the splitter, Ive used and know of many configs this way where it doesnt cause any problems at all..  however if speeds are slower than anticipated then it is one of the areas to look at.

If I was in your position then I think I would have done exactly the same thing as you have done and only sign up for the 2Mb account and save yourself some money for doing so.  Until you know for sure that your line is capable of much higher speeds then it may not be worth while investing time and money into correcting something that may only give a slight speed increase.

If you have probs attaining the 2Mb, then the internal wiring situation is something that should be looked out.

IMHO you are probably best waiting until you are connected..  then once you are if you post your linestats, then we will be very happy to look at them for you and give our opinion on the condition of your line.
-----

mike004

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 07:48:04 PM »

Well, my broadband line has been activated.
But the router from UK Online is nowhere to be seen.

The chap at the UK Online call centre gave me a ParcelForce tracking reference.
But the ParcelFarce website has no status information for my package.

Not a great introduction to the world of broadband :(
Mike
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4