Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Linux friendly ISP wanted  (Read 14519 times)

mike004

Linux friendly ISP wanted
« on: May 05, 2009, 04:16:43 PM »

Currently I have a BT landline, which I use for calls + dial-up modem internet.
Call costs are only about tenner a month, then I have the 30 quid line rental every quarter.

Looking for suggestions for cheap broadband, or broadband + calls

* Landline only, no mobile contract
* 12 month contract, 6 month if possible
* Don't need a massive download bandwidth or top speed
* IMPORTANT -- Must work with Linux (needed for VPN for work)
* Not really interested in wireless

Current favourites are:
* BT --  But BT give you a wireless home hub, which I would never use, probably. And the BT engineer has to come round, I think
* Be
* PlusNet -- looks OK, but is an 18 month contract!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Linux friendly ISP wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 04:48:04 PM »

Hi and welcome.

You can choose any ISP. Most of them, if asked, will say that they don't support Linux, but all that means is that they can't give you any technical help regarding Linux. As far as setting up and using the service is concerned, the operating system is of no consequence - all you need is a working ethernet networking interface to connect to the router.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:52:07 PM »

Roseway just beat me to it. 

The isp itself wont make that much difference. The problem itself may come with the hardware options in that some of the modem software may not work with linux.  The way to get around that is an adsl router via ethernet.

Both Plusnet and Be router will work fine with linux.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 04:53:50 PM »

I'm with Plusnet and been very happy with them.  Price good and traffic shaping policies very clear but 18 month contract is a downer.  I'm not a Linux user myself but there is a Linux and Other *Nix section on their Community Forum - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,60.0.html   Your need for VPN means that their cheapest "Value" package would not be suitable for you though and this may rule them out of your calculations.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 05:02:16 PM »

>> Your need for VPN means that their cheapest "Value" package would not be suitable for you though and this may rule them out of your calculations.

Good point.

May be an idea if mike ran his phone no through the adsl checker and advise us which LLU options are available at your exchange and the Market category.

The LLU ISPs will be listed on the RH side
and the Market category will be under the exchange section with the blue marker.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mike004

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 08:49:37 AM »

Your need for VPN means that their cheapest "Value" package would not be suitable for you though and this may rule them out of your calculations.
Thanks for your reply.
Why do you say that? I can connect over VPN using a dial up modem. It's slow, but allows me to at least transfer files.
What bandwidth would I need to run X apps over a VPN?

Mike

mike004

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »

The problem itself may come with the hardware options in that some of the modem software may not work with linux.  The way to get around that is an adsl router via ethernet.

Both Plusnet and Be router will work fine with linux.

That's what I was thinking. If I go for a fancy wireless home hub, maybe the hardware won't work with my Linux machine.
I am using an old Thinkpad running Fedora Core 6, without built-in wireless.

Mike

mike004

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 08:59:03 AM »

>> Your need for VPN means that their cheapest "Value" package would not be suitable for you though and this may rule them out of your calculations.

May be an idea if mike ran his phone no through the adsl checker and advise us which LLU options are available at your exchange and the Market category.

I am 4 km from the exchange so probably won't get a fast connection.

===
Available ISPs     Other Broadband Technology & LLU Providers
   Although your exchange is BT owned, this does not limit you to just BT Broadband and a vast range of ISPs are able to supply you with adsl.
Available ISPs are too numerous to list, but some examples would be: Zen, Plusnet, IDNet, Enta, etc

The vast majority of UK ISPs use BTs exchange equipment to supply their broadband, for those ISPs you should use the information on the left.
The following is a list of providers offering an alternative service to BT Wholesale based broadband in your area.

LLU         
   AOL   Available   
   Be*   Available   12.12.06
   C&W/Bulldog   Available   25.05.07
   Edge Telecom   Not available   
   Homechoice   Not available   
   Lumison   Not available   
   NewNet   Not available   
   Node4   Not available   
   O2   Available   12.12.06
   Orange   Available   01.04.06
   Pipex   Not available   
   Smallworld   Not available   
   Sky   Available   16.06.07
   TalkTalk   Available   21.10.06
   Tiscali   Available   15.03.06
   UK Online   Available   16.06.07
   WB Internet   Not available   
   Zen   Not available   
===

Anyone here recommend Tesco? Their packages seem simple to understand, at least!
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 09:32:02 AM »

Anyone here recommend Tesco? Their packages seem simple to understand, at least!
Mike

I wouldn't recommend them as their tech support is charged A 50p a minute.

Looking at the list above Be and UKOnline look ok,but I'm not sure they would take you on as you have a long line.

You could always try one of the smaller isp's.

Newnet and Zen spring to mind,both have excellent customer feedback,and good UK based support.

http://www.newnet.co.uk/

http://www.zen.co.uk/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:38:40 AM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 09:53:55 AM »

If I go for a fancy wireless home hub, maybe the hardware won't work with my Linux machine.

A home hub will work fine with Linux, as will any ethernet-connected router. If you want to access it wirelessly then you would need to choose your wireless interface with some care, because not all work comfortably with Linux.

The other possible hardware related problem is with USB modems, but as routers offer so much better performance and security there's very little reason to choose a USB modem, regardless of what OS is being used.
  Eric

mike004

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 10:01:05 AM »

The other possible hardware related problem is with USB modems, but as routers offer so much better performance and security there's very little reason to choose a USB modem, regardless of what OS is being used.

Yes, but if they are offering a free USB modem, I'd prefer to use that rather than buy a router as well. Just to keep costs down.

Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »

>> Why do you say that?  I can connect over VPN using a dial up modem. It's slow, but allows me to at least transfer files.

>> am 4 km from the exchange so probably won't get a fast connection.

That probably does put a different slant on it.
The reason why we mentioned it, is that with PN on the value package VPN is restricted to 512kbps.  Therefore if you had say an 8Mb connection, any VPN traffic would understandably seem slow in comparison.
If you are on a long line and are only able to get say 512kb-1Mb anyhow, then you obviously wont notice it as much.  If its just for transferring small or occasional files then obviously this will seem fast in comparison to dial up.

If you are on a Market 3 exchange their prices are very reasonable.
You can check out what traffic shaping occurs on what protocols here.

From the LLU list:-

Be:  Considered good ISP by many.  Disadvantage for you may be the length of your line, they dont always accept some longer lines so check with them.

O2: Uses the Be backhaul so same as above. Could be a very good choice if you ever get one of their mobile packages. Even without a package their prices are still good.

Sky: Not considered as good as the above 2 but are still OK, good choice if you have sky TV due to cost. If you havent got sky TV then cross off you list.

UK Online: Good ISP. Often recommended by the more technical user. Look at the lite package which is cheaper because its limited to 2Mbps.  But due to the length of your line this may be the maximum you could get anyhow.
Only downside is that you have to purchase a router from them.  However they are Netgear DG834GTs which would be a very good choice for a long line and its at a very good price and cheaper than if you purchased from elsewhere.
-----

mike004

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 10:24:20 AM »

UK Online: Good ISP. Often recommended by the more technical user. Look at the lite package which is cheaper because its limited to 2Mbps.  But due to the length of your line this may be the maximum you could get anyhow.
Only downside is that you have to purchase a router from them.  However they are Netgear DG834GTs which would be a very good choice for a long line and its at a very good price and cheaper than if you purchased from elsewhere.

UK Online would be OK. But they supply a wireless router. As I do not use wireless, or have a wireless card in my computer, I don't see a need for this. Can I just connect via network cable to a wireless router, and "switch off" the wireless capability of the router.
sorry for my questions. I am a luddite, still using old fashioned kit.

Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 10:28:24 AM »

Can I just connect via network cable to a wireless router, and "switch off" the wireless capability of the router.

Yes you can, very easily, and in fact it's desirable to have at least one direct wired connection.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »

>> Can I just connect via network cable to a wireless router, and "switch off" the wireless capability of the router.

Yes you can. If you dont have wireless its recommended you do so.

Its the adsl chipset in the Netgear DG834GT which is very good, and this particular router is the one that we often recommend for long lines due to its stability and being able to cope well on them.

>> sorry for my questions.

No problems - it can seem a daunting task getting adsl for the first time.  Theres so many choices that can be made.  You are doing the right thing asking.
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything