Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Powering off my router at night - Advice Please  (Read 3625 times)

pintosal

• Reg Member
Powering off my router at night - Advice Please
« on: April 29, 2009, 12:57:41 PM »

My Netgear DG834GT used to be on 24x7, and over time my Downstream Bitrate (as monitored by DMT) settled down to around 3600.

I tweaked the SNRM, and during the day I would get around 4000 with a SNRM of 8~9dB and a reasonably low error rate.

However, as night time approached, the SNRM would drift down to 5~6dB, and the errors would go up correspondingly. Overnight, on really clear nights, the errors would go quite high, and the router would re-synch, and the Downstream Bitrate would drift down again.

When I went away on hols for a week I decided to power off the router. When I powered it on again it synched with a Downstream Bitrate of 4352, which it held all day and into the evening with no problem.

For a week or so I have started to power off the router at around 11pm and power it on again at around 8am. In the morning the Downstream Bitrate seems to come up to 4352, and the router holds this during the day.

This seems fine to me as I get a better Downstream Bitrate than I did before, and I save a bit of power at night.

But the question is, am I screwing up the various profiles associated with my line? Am I storing up problems?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Powering off my router at night - Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »

No, there shouldn't be any problem in just switching on in the morning and off at night. What you don't want to do is switch on and off frequently, but you're not doing that.
  Eric

anything