Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNR Margin been set to 15dB I want 6dB back!  (Read 6164 times)

Richyboy1974

• Just arrived
SNR Margin been set to 15dB I want 6dB back!
« on: May 16, 2007, 07:05:04 PM »

Hey all.

I'm having a problem that seems to be something that could be sorted easily, but BT’s being a pain!

I used to have a nice stable connection on MaxDSL, poor stats but no problems with my Netgear DG834N:

Line Attenuation 57.0 db
Noise Margin 6 db

After some local power cuts my IP profile dropped to 1500kbps due to not being able to sync higher than 1800kbps with a SNR Margin of 15db.  I have used DMT to force the connection to sync at 9db (2528kbps currently).  I have asked my ISP (MetroNet) to ask BT for the margin to be put back to 6db but BT want to come out and test everything before they will.  They say the can come 8am-6pm Mon-Fri, funnily enough, the same hours I work and I cannot take time off for this!

If I put a cease on my ADSL line, joined another ISP, would the Margin be automatically set to 6db or would I be in the same boat?

Just to reiterate, I have never had problems until the power cuts which made me re-sync repeatedly for who knows how many times.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers, Richard.

jazz

• Reg Member
Re: SNR Margin been set to 15dB I want 6dB back!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 08:40:47 PM »

Hi Richyboy1974 - and welcome to the forum!

I'm no great expert but just the first one that passed this way (brighter lights will doubtless follow in due course!)  The idea of putting a cease on the line (which which would incur a charge) and then a reactivation (which also incurs a charge) sounds like the wrong way to tackle the problem - though I've sympathy with you on it.  The cost of your method (and I don't know that it would work) could be higher than the cost of having a day's leave without pay ???  I've seen other cases sounding like this on Plusnet(Metronet) forums and they usually get resolved though often rather slowly.  I suspect the BT visit will be required but maybe someone else on this site will advise you of ways to press your case or to try and obtain a BT visit outside your working hours.

Sorry this isn't a lot of help but good luck solving the problem

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 01:59:00 AM »

Hi :)

Jazz is quite correct, a cease and re-provide isnt really the best way forward because of the cost element... and down-time.

Aside from that if you are moving from another ISP most will require a MAC key.  Migration isnt the answer either, because if you are moving to another non-LLU ISP, then the problem will only follow you.

I notice from your line stats that you are on quite a long line, which is perhaps why BT want to test before reducing the target SNR?

However, in view of the fact that you are aware of what caused the increase in Target SNR and that this has now been fixed, it does seem a bit pointless for an Engineers visit.

Obviously I dont know whats on your ticket, but you could perhaps try once again raising the matter and asking if they can please just try again to lower the Target SNR via the ECO system, rather than having going through the faults system.

---------

A couple of the ISP reps hang around these forums.. Maybe one of the PN guys could pick up on this please and put a request through direct to BTw to get the Target SNR set back to default. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Jameseh

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 09:28:02 AM »

Hi,

Sorry to hear that BT are trying to run you round the houses, so to speak.

I'll get someone in faults to give them a ring and push back to get the change made without the engineer visit being necessary.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »

Ty james :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Richyboy1974

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 06:53:59 PM »

Hey all and thanks for your replies.

Just spoken to James and he's going to get it sorted for me (hopefully!!).

Hopefully my next post here is to say it's all fixed!!

Again thanks everyone, and especially as usual, thanks James!!

Richard

Richyboy1974

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 10:03:29 PM »

Good news, all sorted!

Many thanks to James Bailey, Mathew Taylor and John Cowling (MetroNet/Plus.net) ALL of who have helped me in this situation.

Now at 6db and a sync speed of 3168kbps.

Now let's hope it lasts with no problems!!!

Again thanks to all.

Richard

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 11:32:46 PM »

Yay 

Glad its all sorted :thumbs:
-----

evs

• http:\\www.disqworld.net
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 11:43:28 AM »

I have the same problem hear with snr set to 15db now for over 1 month as bt were doing line work in the streets forcing my netgear to resync all the time.  All sorted now and my line attention has gone from 52 to 49 dont know what they have done but they were digging up pipes and alsorts.  Problem is they have set me to 15 snr target and I have to use DMT because it is imposible to get them to reduce it to 6 or even 9.  Can anyone help or I will be using DMT for life

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 12:25:58 PM »

Target SNR is one of the configurable attributes of the DLM and a profile that your ISP should be able to request BTw to change.

Most ISPs are able to do this sucessfully for their users, but it would seem that some CS departments of ISPs have more problems in processing this than others.  Whether this is down to a lack of understanding of how the system works, or some other complication I dont know.

In theory the DLM should look at reducing your Target SNR after a period of stability - but there appears to be no BTw guideline of just how long this period is.  Some have rumoured a month, but it could be much longer than this, and Ive seen users report no change after much longer than this, therefore its easier if (after a problem has been resolved) you can request this change via your ISP.

There's not just you evs thats having this problem, Ive had correspondence via other means of people being in the same boat, with their ISPs saying such things as the user needs to contact BTw, or it will change after 3/10 days - obviously both of which are false.

The problem here is sometimes getting through to the right person in CS support who understands what needs to be done, and all we as end-users can do about this, is keep on at our ISPs :(

-----

evs

• http:\\www.disqworld.net
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 01:11:21 PM »

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Kitz.  Many of the people I speak to from suport to cs donn't even know what I am refering to.  I think that there is a real lack of knowladge out there and that some real progress needs to be made in training there staff.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 11:25:46 PM »

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Kitz.  Many of the people I speak to from suport to cs donn't even know what I am refering to.  I think that there is a real lack of knowladge out there and that some real progress needs to be made in training there staff.

I agree, same with my ISP. :(

Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.