Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Browser hacked?  (Read 4611 times)

nomeames

Browser hacked?
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:30:11 PM »

I normally use firefox web browser (using latest update). Since past couple of weeks I am seeing a strange phenomena. The top left hand corner which shows the site title, changes to some strange language (chinese or japansese I guess ???). This is not the case when I open a new browser window. If I leave the computer unattended to upto half an hour the language changes automatically (Only the top left hand side and the task bar area. The main page doesn't change). If I close the browser window and open a new window, the language changes back to English.

I checked the regional settings in my computer and everything is set to Englist (UK). Screenshot attached.

IS there a bug in my computer or am I missing some settings? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: Browser hacked?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 02:05:02 PM »

Are you using the real player plugin?  Apparently that can cause the effect you are seeing.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 02:28:41 PM »

Do you have the "RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin" extension (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions)?
That extension has been reported to cause that issue.
Be sure not to get confused with the RealPlayer plugin (Tools > Add-ons > Plugins) that plays media files. The extension adds some extra features like saving media files.

You can disable/remove the RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension in the RealPlayer Preferences (RP: Tools > Preferences > Download & Recording)  :)

nomeames

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »

Do you have the "RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin" extension (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions)?
That extension has been reported to cause that issue.
Be sure not to get confused with the RealPlayer plugin (Tools > Add-ons > Plugins) that plays media files. The extension adds some extra features like saving media files.

You can disable/remove the RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension in the RealPlayer Preferences (RP: Tools > Preferences > Download & Recording)  :)

Are you using the real player plugin?  Apparently that can cause the effect you are seeing.

I do have the real player plugin installed. I have disabled it now. Will let you know if the problem reappears. Thanks for your advice.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:30:55 AM »

If you are having problems with Real Player you may like to try Real Alternative ( a free download available at http://www.codecguide.com/about_real.htm ).  It works well, is much smaller and less intrusive than Real Player and seems to function pretty well for most things (I've used it for about 4 years without problems).  :)