Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router/Modem Question  (Read 4832 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Router/Modem Question
« on: April 30, 2009, 08:49:35 AM »

Hi all,

I have just been looking on the Newnet website and notice the supply a Linksys AM200 Modem or a Linksys WAG 200G Router.

What is the difference between a the modem and the router.

What are these Linksys routers/modems like?

http://www.newnet.co.uk/broadband/modemrouter.php

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Router/Modem Question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:21:03 AM »

As far as I can see, the differences are that the WAG200G is wireless and has four ethernet ports, so for the small amount extra it's much better value.

But in my opinion you would be better off buying a different router such as the DG834Gv4. You don't have to take the ones Newnet are offering.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:28:55 AM »

Thanks Eric,

Newnet have stated that they are changing to Billion routers(not sure when).I asked what these are like on long lines and was told they had not tried them on long line yet but one of their support staff had a 6km line so he was going to try one.

Whilst still on about Newnet,I see they have an extended maintenance plan for about £2 extra a month,is that something worth considering.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:31:41 AM »

>> What is the difference between a the modem and the router.

The method of converting digital data into analogue signals which can be carried over the copper wire is known as Modulation.
Because our computers use digital data a MODEM (MOdulator-DEModulator) is needed to code and decode between digital and analogue signals.

An adsl modem is generally used to describe the equipment which will allow a single PC to connect to an adsl connection.
Theres 2 types of adsl modem - either USB or ethernet. 

An adsl router will allow 1 or more PCs to connect to the adsl connection as it is capable of differentiating traffic from and to the relevant PCs that are connected to it.
An adsl router will actually have a chip inside which carries out the modulation and its correct term is adsl modem router, but most people will just say adsl router.

A 'bog-standard' router doesnt contain an adsl chipset and cant be used on its own to connect to an adsl connection since it isnt capable of carrying out adsl modulation.  These types of routers are used primarily for connecting to cable broadband.

Now go back a step to the adsl modem.  USB modems can and will only allow the connection for one PC.  However some adsl Ethernet modems (such as the one you  mention), will allow you to connect more than 1 PC if used in conjunction with a standard router.  IMHO unless you are only ever going to connect one PC then they are a waste of money - far better to get an all in one adsl-modem router.

Personally I'd stick with Netgear or Thompson.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:44:24 AM »

>> the differences are that the WAG200G is wireless and has four ethernet ports,

Thats what I thought at first as the description is a bit confusing , but when you look at its actual specs it isnt capable of NAT routing for multiple PCs, and you can only achieve this by either purchasing an extra router... or using ICS on a PC so that the PC is doing the routing.

The AM200 seems expensive and a waste of money IMHO.  From the linksys site
" Connect the ADSL Modem directly to any PC with an Ethernet port. Or connect it to a Linksys by Cisco router and share Internet access with everyone on your home network. " 

.... and unlike an adsl 1 port router you can't add just a cheap network switch to enable it to connect more PCs.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:49:57 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »

Hi all,

I have just been looking on the Newnet website and notice the supply a Linksys AM200 Modem or a Linksys WAG 200G Router.

What is the difference between a the modem and the router.

What are these Linksys routers/modems like?

http://www.newnet.co.uk/broadband/modemrouter.php

The Linksys AM200 is an AR7 chipset modem and the other uses Broadcom.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »

The Linksys AM200 is an AR7 chipset modem and the other uses Broadcom.

Is that the same chipset as the Netgear 834Gv4 ?

What I'm thinking then is that the Linksys 200G could also be good for long lines..........

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »

No, the Netgear DG834Gv4 has a Broadcom chipset. The earlier v2 and v3 versions used AR7 chipsets. Mind you, they were excellent on long lines, but the performance isn't down to the chipset alone - the firmware can make a big difference too.
  Eric