Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PDF editor of sorts needed  (Read 4139 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
PDF editor of sorts needed
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:44:02 AM »

What I'm looking for is a program which will allow me to take a PDF form and fill in the various fields and then print it out, I dont need to save it but that would be nice. The problem is that more and more official forms are available for download in PDF format and it would be nice to be able to do this before printing it out.

I've tried various editors but the few I've found so far only allow the whole document structure to be edited, not what I want. It also has to print out pretty much exactly as display on the screen since some of these are legal documents so conversion to Word or some such would need to be very very accurate.

Has anyone any ideas?
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: PDF editor of sorts needed
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:00:26 PM »

Have you looked at the free Foxit programme.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/editor/

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:07:50 PM »

I too would recommend Foxit products I use quite a few of them.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 12:22:44 PM »

Yes I've looked at Foxit but so far it only seems to allow editing the whole document as objects etc. I want a kind of WYSIWG editor which just allows fields to have data added and then print out the completed form.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »

A more powerful tool, paid for but I think you can get a freebie trial at :-

http://www.verypdf.com/pdf-editor/

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »

Hi have just looked at the above recommended link to foxitsoftware,the reason being is my B.I.L is trying to fill in an PDF job aplication form which he has downloaded via Adobe Acrobat reader.

Will this software enable him to do that or does he need something different.?

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »

Unc I've never used a PDF filler at all  ....  I've looked at the link and noted this  :-     I've underlined the part which  I think may answer you question in the positive !

Have you ever faced one of the following challenges?

* You are ready to print out a PDF file, and suddenly find some typos.
    * You want to fill out a PDF form electronically, but realize it is non-fillable.
    * You receive a PDF file from your colleague and want to make some changes before forwarding it to others.
    * You want to consolidate several PDF report files into a single PDF document.

Now, with Foxit PDF Editor, you can easily meet the above challenges. Foxit PDF Editor is the only real PDF editor. Unlike other so-called "PDF Editor", which only works with notes or limited page contents, Foxit PDF Editor allows you to modify any page contents within any PDF document. You can select, insert, change, remove, rotate, copy and paste texts, images and graphics. You can insert, import, delete pages or design page layout. After you finish editing, you can print out the result PDF file or save it to overwrite the original file or create a new file. To find out more details about the actions Foxit Editor enables you to perform on a PDF file, please click on the following links:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 02:53:54 PM »

Thanks Kate,

The one thing he was unsure about is how to insert your signature into a pdf document and also when you have do you place a 'tick' in a box when there is no such key on the keyboard.

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 08:42:08 PM »

Unc, I'm not sure about the signature but could the back slash be a tick perhaps ?  :-\

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 03:00:42 AM »

Just by clicking with the mouse pointer in the box is the tick.

(Sorry have not read all of this thread) so I hope that is what you needed to know.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 01:05:37 PM »

Hi,

1/ My current method is to print the PDF document as a postscript file (download a HP postscript printer driver for this).

Using a graphics editor, eg gimp, convert each page of postscript to an image. e.g. png format.

Read the image into MS Word as a background watermark.

Then just type over the top of this background to fill out the form.
You have to fiddle with an image option to get the background intensity correct - don't remember exactly which.
Then print and enjoy...

2/ If you are a Linux aficionado try flpsed - http://www.ecademix.com/JohannesHofmann/flpsed.html
I've had pretty good results with it..

3/ And my son uses layers in gimp for the text, with the image as background.
Get an image of the pdf as in 1/.

Cheers,
Peter

anything