Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: TV deals? Need new tv  (Read 67211 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: TV deals? Need new tv
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »

I think an important comment earlier is that visual aspect ratio is not necessarily pixel ratio. Pixels are not square, at least on TV's. On LCD computer monitors they generally are I think.

I think the problem with the unit I bought (and returned) is that it was based around a computer monitor with Freeview/DVD added on as a "bonus" and not quite done right.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 01:27:25 PM »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 07:02:38 PM »

Hi
I will have 2  :lol:
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 11:46:36 PM »

lol @ UB that's cheap... must order one! :lol:

--------------------------------------

Thanks everyone for their input, I got a bit weirded out re the aspect ratio for a wee while wondering if it would be ok, since most seem the same.

After some deliberation I think I'm now leaning towards the ebuyer one

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/154970/show_product_overview

which seems to have everything that I want/need.  The Tesco one is coming in at a close 2nd, but the specs on the Ebuyer one seem a bit better.
Theres not that many reviews for that particular product, but it does seem to be exactly the same as this one but with the integrated DVD... which does seem to have decent reviews.

So unless anyone can spot anything Ive missed, I think that may be possibly the best choice.   OK its not a branded name but for the bedroom it should be ok?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 12:09:17 AM »

Taken from the comments, (for this TV)

This TV isn't bad for the money and is easy to set up. But the sound quality really lets it down.

I thought I could overcome this by connecting to an external amp and speakers, but there's a lack of sound output connectors - the only choice is the headphone socket (level too low) or the SCART - which works fine when watching DTV, but when you play a DVD you get analogue TV sound out of the SCART. (So, if anyone finds a way of connecting DVD sound to an external amp, please let me know!).

The connectors are down one edge and the DVD slot (slow action but seems to work) are down the other, so think carefully about where you're going to put it. The wires coming out of the LHS can be quite visible.

Sorry nothing else to add, but I did look at this earlier and thought it the better of the two, obviously the built-in DVD player is the bonus.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 07:03:49 AM »

It's difficult to know what to make of a single person's bad comment. Some people are very fussy about sound quality, but for a bedroom TV it's probably more than adequate (which is what a reviewer said about the non-DVD model). I think it's a good choice.

Thinking more about the aspect ratio question, it occurs to me that there's currently a mix of 16:9 and 4:3 transmissions. If the TV handles these correctly then the 16:10 screen may well be the best compromise.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »

Hmmm. Now I've read the spec in detail it does say 16:10 aspect ratio (as well as pixel ratio).
It depends on what options are provided to "fit" the 16:9 widescreen programs (and DVD's) into that.
The normal choices (with whatever names they actually call them) should be:
- fit width, with a small black stripe at top and/or bottom
- fit height with a small loss of picture at the edges
- squeeze to fit, with no loss of picture but everything slightly (10%) narrower

The unit I bought ONLY offered option 3 for Freeview and DVD and I don't like that so sent it back.

If you buy on t'internet you have the right to send it back with a full refund (including all delivery costs).

Edit. PS just saw Roseways comments. 16:10 is indeed a good compromise as long as the right "zoom" options are available.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:01:23 AM by HPsauce »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »

I had noticed that OF.  I took it that, that particular reviewer was some-one highly concerned about sound quality.  Since aside from the DVD its the same as the other model which gets decent reviews and they say the sound quality is fine.  Since its only for the bedroom and not for the lounge then I think it should be ok.

Ive just placed my order.. so fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »

... and it arrived this am.

Complete DOA.    :'(

Switch it on and it goes into standby and wont come out of it.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 01:55:20 PM »

... and it arrived this am.

Complete DOA.    :'(

Switch it on and it goes into standby and wont come out of it.

Oh dear,
this sounds a bit daft but have you checked the batteries in the remote to see if they are ok.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 03:27:49 PM »

It wont even work from the buttons on the set.
When I plug it in, it briefly flickers blue, then goes to red (standy)  and wont do anything.

Ive phoned up ebuyer who put me through to tech support who seem to think its a power issue on that set.  They immediately offered to RMA it and arrange collection.

However thinking about this I wasn't too happy - as it could be the week after next before I get a replacement, so I phoned back again and they are now changing it so that when they receive this one back they will issue a full refund.  But are shipping me out a new one today.  It will mean my card is temporary debited twice until they get the other one back..  But since my other one is borked I wanted a replacement asap.

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:50 PM »

Its packaged up and waiting to be collected. 
It was only when I was putting it back in the box, that I realised that the box was damaged.
The reverse side of the box looks like something heavy has fallen on it as it has cut through the cardboard
and the left back corner looks like its been dropped as its all squished in despite the box being sturdy material. :(
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »

Kitz, what can I say, except...........  :comp: :doh: or something similar.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 03:33:10 PM »

New TV arrived this am.  Pleased to report that all looks well with this one. 
Very happy with the picture quality.  Sound is fine too.
Looks much better than my old one and by getting the model I did Ive now been able to remove the old dvd player and my freeview box
Result much more space on my dressing table and I now have easy access to a plug socket for my straighteners without having to unplug something else first :)

------------------------

Although Im a bit miffed that I got a dud - I still wonder if that bashed in box had something to do with it. - The 1st one was delivered on a 'generic no-named' white van.

Todays came by citylink.  Fair do's to e-buyer for ensuring that I got a replacement by the next working day. 
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 03:41:29 PM »

Really glad to hear it's all working out for you, and yes, the space saving can seem to be huge.

You mean you actually unplugged the straighteners in favour of the TV.  :lol:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

anything