Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Where has this IP profile come from?  (Read 4299 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Where has this IP profile come from?
« on: May 13, 2007, 06:49:35 PM »

Over the past week I noticed that the max speed I could get was around 5Mb - normally off peak I can hit 7Mb.. but thought perhaps it was a bit of exchange congestion so did nothing about it.

However, Ive just performed a BTw speedtest and was astounded to find that my line has been profiled at 5500. 

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 832 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5291 kbps

Now this is a real mystery to me... My router is reporting

Latency Type Fast   Line Up Time 08:00:04:42 

Statistics Downstream Upstream 
 Line Rate 8128 832 
 Noise Margin 10.0 dB 12.0 dB 
 Line Attenuation 7.5 dB 7.0 dB

Thats 8 days uptime which will be from last weekend when I switched from RIN to PN.. and thats an 8 day solid sync at 8128.

I use MRTG to record my line stats and the last time I had a full resync was 34 days ago

The statistics were last updated Sunday, 13 May 2007 at 18:41,
at which time 'Voyager 2100' had been up for 34 days, 6:34.

See screen cap below which confirms this.
The lowest SNR Margin has been 9dB... and Ive no significent errors which would also indicate anything being wrong with the line.

You can see from the stats that Ive never sync'd at anything less than 8128 - so where the hell Ive picked up a 5500 IP profile from Ive absolutely no idea.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Where has this IP profile come from?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 07:19:30 PM »

Odd isn't it? A glitch at the exchange I guess. Presumably a forced re-sync will trigger the profile to go back up after three days.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »

This gets curiouser and couriouser.

Just heard from PN that the profile was last changed on 24th of April and has been stuck at 5500 since then.
So something very weird is going on.  According to my mrtg stats there wasnt anything that occured on the 24th..  - it wasnt even a date when I had workmen in which could have done something. 

But even more curious is that even PN agree that it would appear Ive sync'd at 8128 since the 24th of April... so why hasnt my profile been increased like it should have during that period.

and even better... I'm pretty damn certain that Ive seen speeds above 5500 after that date on several occasions during the wee small hours.. not sure if Ive picked up someone elses profile by mistake?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 06:52:37 AM »

I'm out of my depth here really, but I wonder if you had a change of connection speed on the 24th April without a re-sync being recorded in your router log. You'll remember that I had this a little while back, and it happened again last night.

As to your profile not having gone back up, it could just be stuck, although I'm not sure that the reason for this is properly understood.

Eric
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 11:36:48 AM »

It's weird.
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 12:16:40 PM »

>>  I wonder if you had a change of connection speed on the 24th April without a re-sync being recorded in your router log.

Yep I do recall you saying.  What is strange is why such a good line would have a resync - and there being no record of any SNR Margin lower than 9dB (which wasnt during the same time frame).  Theres no errored seconds, and although theres some CRC errors - this figure is cumulative over several months and is still below 100.. so hardly anything to worry about there.  Also if I did have a temp low sync that didnt record - then it must have auto-sync'd back up to 8128 at some point without record... 

and the big query why has it supposedly got a stuck profile now for 3 weeks.
(btw my line has had a stuck 2Mb profile twice in the past - once when first going on max - then back at 2Mb again when BT did some work at the exchange)

Normally my stats hardly ever change - the only thing that does is a slight variation in SNR Margin by a couple of db at most - normally after a resync.

Oh well see what comes back from BTw as its been passed over to them.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »

* kitz cries

The historical records show 6240 as the last profile from the 8th May, 0713, but your tests (confirmed via woosh) show a reduced throughput but at no point, matches the profile the Speedtester returns.

The fact this is 500kbps, or 8.4% tends not to wash with BT,

But the fact is even if it was 8th of May - totally ignoring the fact that MRTG reports constant 8128 sync for 34 days- then by now it still should have increased back to the full profile. So that aint working as it should :(

PN agree that even the BT profile and speedtest profile arent matching profiles..  and I wanna know why its stuck at something that doesnt even relate to my sync speed.
So Im 2Mb short not 500kbps.

BTw hates me. :'(

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 03:33:47 PM »

Please don't cry Kitz. Here, have a hanky:

Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 01:00:10 AM »

Why thankye kind sir.. 
Had something odd occur this afty - remember my bRAS profile was at 6240 apparently (speedtest showing IP profile 5500)... and had been supposedly since 24th of April.

Anyhow in view of the length of time that I was supposed to have had a 6000ish profile - It kept nagging at me that I was certain I'd seen higher speeds within the past 2 weeks, so I was about to look at my History to see if I had any TBB speedtest results recorded that could prove that since the 24th of April  that I had indeed been getting full speed.  Whilst there I decided to do a speed test - and got 6895.56 Kbps. 

Huh?  I'd got an IP profile of 5500 yet I was now getting 6.7Mb - Not supposed to be possible!

Then something dawned on me I'd been switching realms (PN <--> RIN).  Bearing in mind the vast majority of people will not have access to 2 different realms on SSB. So I reported this back to PN what had just happened,  and they reported to BTw.

Within an hour got this back

"15 - Circuit has been re-mapped. Tests confirm there is no longer a BTW fault. Please resolve the issue with your customer directly."

I was advised to disconnect to pick up the new profile - Performed a speed test and was back getting 7Mb throughput for both realms!

What had happened neither I nor PN know, but whatever it was, has now thankfully cleared.

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 07:00:38 AM »

Intriguing isn't it? Good to know it's been fixed, even if there isn't an explanation. BTw aren't very good at explaining after they've fixed a fault, so I guess it was a little cockup on their side.
  Eric

anything