Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Help with SNR and lost sync  (Read 12037 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Help with SNR and lost sync
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 07:21:12 AM »

That looks good. Thanks for coming back and telling us :)

Eric
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 08:04:09 AM »

Excellent :) Nice one
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 10:30:05 AM »

Cool.   Thanks for letting us know  :thumbs:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

colchaodemola

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 02:50:32 AM »

Hi guys , it was pretty cool while it was working , but my modem just  can not sync anymore. I tried on another lines and it just can not sync.
So i have to buy another. Well , since i don`t want to import again, i was thinking, what make this modem so good to low snr is the chip right ?
So , any modem with AR7 chip will do the job as good as the netgear ?
There are a few Dlink xxxT that has AR7 chip

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 09:55:18 AM »

Glad to hear there's a happy ending.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 10:14:52 AM »

I don't think that the performance of the DG834 is just due to the AR7 chipset. Other routers with the same chipset don't have the same performance with low noise margins, so the firmware is certainly a significant factor as well.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 12:34:08 PM »

I don't think that the performance of the DG834 is just due to the AR7 chipset. Other routers with the same chipset don't have the same performance with low noise margins, so the firmware is certainly a significant factor as well.

I totally agree with that statement.

By the way since your last postings - (when the v3 was new and we werent quite sure of the chipset)  it has since been confirmed that v3 does have the same chipset as the v2 and seems to give similar performance results.

If you are looking at another router other than the Netgear dg834g v3 - then I wouldnt go for one with the AR7 chipset - but instead perhaps look at one of the Speedtouch routers.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

colchaodemola

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »

I totally agree with that statement.

By the way since your last postings - (when the v3 was new and we werent quite sure of the chipset)  it has since been confirmed that v3 does have the same chipset as the v2 and seems to give similar performance results.

If you are looking at another router other than the Netgear dg834g v3 - then I wouldnt go for one with the AR7 chipset - but instead perhaps look at one of the Speedtouch routers.

Well , i partially disagree about the firmware thing , cause even with the DG834 i stoped using the netgear firmware one week after i bought it cause there was no support to a lot of things that i need it. So i had installed openwrt , and both snr and attenuation was exactly the same of when i was using the netgear firmware , and the drops were almost none.  So , at least in this case there was no difference. Is really the firmware that important , or is dlink firmwares that sucks ? Anyway , if i go with some dlink with ar7 chip i will put openwrt anyway.

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 04:23:45 PM »

Openwrt doesn't change the ADSL chipset firmware, it changes the wireless firmware.

colchaodemola

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 04:28:35 PM »

Openwrt doesn't change the ADSL chipset firmware, it changes the wireless firmware.

Actually it changes, /proc/avalanche/avsar_ver shows a different version from the netgear one and dg834 has no wireless :)

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 04:31:54 PM »

Oh my word you're right. Things have come along since I last looked. Time to play with my ancient WRT54G again I think :D

Edit - heh I can't remember the damn admin password :D I think this has Alchemy on it but gods only know.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 04:35:23 PM by rizla »

colchaodemola

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 02:38:17 AM »

Hi guys , i have news ...
Today was a say of 2  big discoveries to me :)
1) I bought a dlink 500T and the modem wouldn`t sync , what a piece of crap. It showed negative SNR value and never syncs.
Well , it took me a while but i was able to install openwrt kamikaze svn from yesterday , and now i can sync just fine , SNR margin is in 6.0 just like my old DG834.
So , about the firmware , YES , it really matters , but openwrt can keep up with netgear`s firmware with much more tools , and in this case AR7 chip RULEZZZZ .

2) I was able to use my DG834 , though i haven`t understand very much what is hapenning. The modem can sync just fine , but when i turn my desktop ON it looses sync and can not resync at all. If i plug it in a different power plug it syncs just fine. I have to find out why this is happening, any ideas ? The DG834 is on the same UPS that my PC. [btw , it is a new pc much more powerful that the old one]. The DLINK can connect with my Desktop ON with no problems ...

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 08:14:46 AM »

The DG834 is on the same UPS that my PC. [btw , it is a new pc much more powerful that the old one]. The DLINK can connect with my Desktop ON with no problems ...

It may be the power supply to the DG834 failing. Routers can be quite sensitive to low input power and people throw them out when they just need a new power supply. The UPS may be struggling a bit more with the new PC too, try plugging DG834 striaght into a wall socket and see if that helps.

colchaodemola

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 03:27:52 PM »

pluging directly on the wall socket works. IS it UPS in this case ?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 03:30:53 PM »

Possibly the UPS not supplying enough power or struggling when the new PC is on. Guess you could maybe test that by seeing if it works in the UPS with your monitor off, for example?

What rating is your UPS i.e. what number of VA does it say? And what kind of PC and monitor have you got plugged into it? Might help us determine if it's under a high load or not.
Chris
Pages: 1 [2] 3