Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 7 questions on the road code  (Read 21561 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
7 questions on the road code
« on: April 22, 2009, 06:13:20 PM »

7/7 but the questions are not that hard really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8012018.stm

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: 7 questions on the road code
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:45:11 AM »

I got the horn one wrong.   :(

I knew you couldnt use it at night - but not that you couldnt use it at all in a stationary vehicle.
WRONG! It's false - you may not sound the horn in a stationary vehicle. Nor can you use it in a built-up area between the hours of 2330 and 0730 - unless another road user poses a danger.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 12:51:36 PM »

That is the one I keep throwing at the Police when making a complaint about the taxi drivers who will just not get out of their cars and knock on doors, but instead honk as soon as they get in the grove then honk again when parked outside the house they are going too.

On day last week a police car was in the grove at 23:50 and the police took absolutely no notice about the horn honking.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 03:23:07 AM »

I got 6/7 too - it was the one about sounding a horn in a stationary car that got me.
* mr_chris resists temptation to make horny jokes...  :-X
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 01:38:28 PM »

I have to admit though, there was one with regards to speed limits on national roads that I had to make a guess of, I didn't think it was the question so much but the way it was worded that was misleading me.
It sort of read that 70MPH was also the norm for 2 lane carriageways. (at least I think that was the one)

"The use of the horn should only be used in a emergency to alert someone that you are there"

And actually, the same goes for flashing of ones headlamps.
(not that most people use it for that reason, which I believe is being looked into and possibly being changed sometime in the distant future)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 01:40:44 PM by oldfogy »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »

I got the give way on a hill wrong  :-[

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 03:49:04 PM »

I got the give way on a hill wrong  :-[

Basically that code was brought about with HGV vehicles in mind, as it's easier for a vehicle to get up-to speed going down hill whereas being very slow going up-hill and causing tail backs.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »

I have to admit though, there was one with regards to speed limits on national roads that I had to make a guess of, I didn't think it was the question so much but the way it was worded that was misleading me.
It sort of read that 70MPH was also the norm for 2 lane carriageways. (at least I think that was the one)

It is... 70Mph is the national speed limit for any dual carraigeway - motorway or not. 60Mph for single carriageway roads (of course as long as the national speed limit applies on that particular road!)
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 08:39:35 PM »

I knew it was 70mph on dual carriageways - Ive won a bet or 2 in the past on that one. ;)

I tell you what was interesting on that quiz, did anyone notice this?

CORRECT! It's 60mph on single carriageways, 70 on dual carriageways and motorways.
 The Department for Transport is considering cutting it from 60 to 50 on country roads, and shaving the residential limit from 30 to 20.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:37:06 PM »

I knew it was 70mph on dual carriageways - Ive won a bet or 2 in the past on that one. ;)

I didn't, I thought it was only 60MPH unless otherwise stated.

did anyone notice this?

The Department for Transport is considering cutting it from 60 to 50 on country roads, and shaving the residential limit from 30 to 20.

Yes, it was also been on the BBC site a few day's ago.
But I was under the impression that it was only going to be around school areas.

Kalimera

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »

as a newby to the site, just nosing around...

I got 7/7 but have to admit  that I had to assume they meant "for cars" when asking about the national speed limit on single and dual carriageways because its different for non-car derived vans !

and the last question about "leaving a car with the engine running for more than a few minutes".. well that was a guess because I have always been under the impression you can't leave a car with the engine running... as an empty unattended car could do anything if something failed...