Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: police state gets even closer  (Read 3680 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
police state gets even closer
« on: January 05, 2009, 06:46:30 AM »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: police state gets even closer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 06:53:39 AM »

Another erosion of civil liberties. :(  But if your system is properly secured and you're careful about opening email attachments and so on, they're not going to find it easy.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:12:57 AM »

It makes you wonder what other plans  have been "quietly adopted" whilst everyone has been concentrating on the monetary collapse.     I am always a bit sceptical when they say that it's an EU directive !  The UK Government seem to implement an awful lot of   "EU directives"   :'(   I have a feeling  they use that as a pretext to exonerate themselves .    I've certainly not seen anything about this in our newspaper which covers national news....   I shall keep an eye open and also listen for any news on the TV / Radio here, but  I suspect  this could be more 'Home Grown" than it appears.    I also look at the EU  Parliament site from time to time and I've not seen anything on that either  ???

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »

Talking of the EU,this makes interesting reading about the Euro.Could its days be numbered,according to this article.........Yes.

http://tinyurl.com/8skz9t

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:48:31 AM »

The Daily Mail's Oborne  !!!  I have the same opinion of Peter Oborne as Private Eye have Unc ....  Peter O'Bore   ......     :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »

Sophos has decided that any spyware from the Police will be treated as rogue malware and they intend to write protection against that as they would with any other spyware. Good.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/609428/analysis-should-the-police-hack-your-computer

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 04:43:31 PM »

Another erosion of civil liberties.

they're not going to find it easy.

Police say that such methods are necessary to investigate suspects who use cyberspace to carry out crimes.
These include paedophiles, internet fraudsters, identity thieves and terrorists.

The type of people that they would mainly be concentrating on don't deserve to have any civil liberties.

No they are not going to find it easy, because these type of people animals are very careful which is the reason why they get away with what they do for so long.
So anything that helps to stop that type of activity is most welcome from this quarter.

They are not interested in the Joe Bloggs' of this world or people who might have pirated Software, Movies or Music on their PC. They have more important and not enough time to concentrate on suspects.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »

And Big Sister (aka the Home Secretary) is still at it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8020039.stm

Communications companies are being asked to record all internet contacts between people to modernise police surveillance tactics in the UK.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith stepped back from a single database - but wants companies to hold and organise the information for the security services.

The new system would track all e-mails, phone calls and internet use, including visits to social network sites.

Ministers say police and the security services need new tools to fight crime.

Announcing a consultation on a new strategy for communications data and its use in law enforcement, Ms Smith said there would be no single government-run database.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."