Internet > Web Browsing & Email

Common IE settings for all users of a PC

(1/3) > >>

canon:
Hi,
I want to make some IE settings the same for all users on a PC. In particular in the Connection\LAN settings so every user has the same proxy server. (For Metronet web filtering).
At the moment, I can only do this by getting every user to set it up individually; as an Administrator on the PC, can I make common settings somehow? Using XP Home and IE7.
The PC is connected via a Netgear DG834, is there some way of doing this (using the proxy server) by configuring the router?
Thanks,
Terry.

tickmike:

--- Quote from: canon on May 11, 2007, 02:20:01 PM ---Hi,
I want to make some IE settings the same for all users on a PC. In particular in the Connection\LAN settings so every user has the same proxy server. (For Metronet web filtering).
At the moment, I can only do this by getting every user to set it up individually; as an Administrator on the PC, can I make common settings somehow? Using XP Home and IE7.
The PC is connected via a Netgear DG834, is there some way of doing this (using the proxy server) by configuring the router?
Thanks,
Terry.

--- End quote ---

Hi Cannon.
I think you can only do that if you are running a 'Server' then you can configure the 'User' settings with 'Active Directory' and this sends it out to each machine.
But for the stand alone machine you have to configure each user setting.
I use a hardware firewall ( using an old computer with smoothwall free software   http://www.smoothwall.org/          ) and this has a proxy server and I set all users accounts up with it's IP address.
I recommend you use FireFox web browser much safer the IE7.
Michael

canon:
Thanks for the reply. Setting up a server is probably not a possibility in this situation (it's not at my home) and especially it's outside my knowledge base!
The proxy server is provided by the ISP (Metronet) and offers web filtering which has useful categories. Also, web pages & downloads are a bit
faster when using the proxy.
I'll do it the hard way.
Oh yes, I agree about FF, it'll mean a bit of user training though.
Terry.

soms:
I remember when I used to dabble more in Windows 9x/2000 that with IE5 or IE6 you could use the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) to create a customised IE installation, which may (cant quite remember) have included those sort of settings. It certainly included browser customisation, default favourites etc.

Unfortunately, so far, I haven't seen such a utility for IE7.

tickmike:

--- Quote from: canon on May 13, 2007, 08:44:10 PM ---Thanks for the reply. Setting up a server is probably not a possibility in this situation (it's not at my home) and especially it's outside my knowledge base!
The proxy server is provided by the ISP (Metronet) and offers web filtering which has useful categories. Also, web pages & downloads are a bit
faster when using the proxy.
I'll do it the hard way.
Oh yes, I agree about FF, it'll mean a bit of user training though.
Terry.

--- End quote ---

Are you using it in an office ?.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version