Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Netgear DG834 Router  (Read 101780 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Re: Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2007, 03:21:22 PM »

Quote from: bob.gas
Connection Speed     1888 kbps     448 kbps
Line Attenuation     59 db     15.5 db
Noise Margin     2147483644 db     16 db

That's false reporting of the noise margin by the router. What it actually means is that the noise margin has gone negative, and the connection will drop pretty soon if it stays that way. 59dB of attenuation is rather on the edge for ADSL, and you will always be vulnerable to noise margin problems.

A filtered faceplate would be your best technical option to get the most out of your line, but you would still be stuck with running a new cable from the faceplate to the computer room. One solution (if domestic matters permit) would be to install a wireless router near the filtered faceplate.

If this isn't an option you might well get some improvement with your present setup by opening up each telephone socket in the house and disconnecting the wire to pin 3 (the ring wire). The ring wire is redundant when you have ADSL because ADSL filters contain their own ring signal generation. Nearly all modern phones don't use the ring connection anyway. The ring wire acts as an aerial which picks up interference and degrades the ADSL noise margin, and disconnecting it will often effect an improvement.

Eric

Hi Eric

Looks like I'll be able to go with your advice now, as I have signed up to Sky with a Netgear wireless router.
(Thought I'd wait a year  ;D)

Regards

Bob.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »

We'll be interested to hear how it goes. :)
  Eric
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

anything