Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL2 - Couple of questions  (Read 3730 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
ADSL2 - Couple of questions
« on: April 24, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »

My ISP is in a position to offer me ADSL2 (up to 24Mbps) service. My exchange was upgraded by BT to 21CN at the begining of the year.

I am using an ST585v6 (firmware 6.2.29.2) and am about 800mts from the exchange (as crow flies) with current BT IP profile 7150. Kitz kindly informed me that this router will work well on the ADSL2.

My (silly) questions:

1. I take if that my adsl filters do not need to be upgraded.
2. I am using a PAP2 ATA and was wondering if ADSL2 would likely cause any issues.
3. In respect of MTU, do they change from MAX to ADSL2. Mine is set to 1500 in router (tested it).

Any other questions that I should be asking in respect of my move from Max. I would rather be prepared now than try to problem solve later.

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:51:26 PM by risk_reversal »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ADSL2 - Couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »

1. No. ADSL2+ uses an extended frequency range, making use of higher frequencies where the filters should be even more effective.

2. I'd never heard of PAP2 ATA before today, but if I understand it correctly it connects to the ethernet side of the router, so I can't imagine that it would affect anything.

3. MTU isn't affected by the change.
  Eric

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:14:27 PM »

Cheers roseway.

FYG PAP2 ATA

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3508

for use with voip telephony. It connects to one of the ethernet ports of my router. There are 2 ports on the unit which can connect to standard (DECT) telephones.

My question re the PAP2 was whether there might be an issue with my internet telephony and ADSL2.

May I also ask a final question please.

Is it likely that I will be moved from the DSLAM / MSAM that I am currently on ie is the card that I am connected to compatible with ADSL2

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:20:34 PM by risk_reversal »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 10:42:56 PM »

>> My question re the PAP2 was whether there might be an issue with my internet telephony and ADSL2.

No, I don't think so. Viewed from the ethernet side of the router, it's just an internet connection, and whether the internet access technology is ADSL or ADSL2+ won't affect it.

>> Is it likely that I will be moved from the DSLAM / MSAM that I am currently on ie is the card that I am connected to compatible with ADSL2

I think I'd better defer to someone else more knowledgeable on the subject, but I'm pretty sure that it involves a new line card.
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 02:44:15 AM »

>> My question re the PAP2 was whether there might be an issue with my internet telephony and ADSL2.

Just to add to Eric's reply - Eric is spot on about your ATA device. If you think of the PAP2 adapter as simply a tiny PC that requires an Internet connection, then that should hopefully make it a bit clearer. The PAP2 adapter does not know, nor care, what type of DSL connection you have - as long as it's fast enough and good enough quality and stability for it to work effectively (this would only affect the quality of the calls anyway).

So rest assured that, as far as I'm concerned, your PAP2 ATA will continue to function exactly as it always has done.

As for moving DSLAM/MSANs... then I think it is likely that you will move onto one of the new 21CN MSANs, as these will have the ADSL2+ compatible line cards in, and be configured for <24Mb access. There is no way of knowing if the card you're currently on is compatible with ADSL2+, depends how BT managed the exchange upgrade, whether they installed new MSANs or just new line cards in the existing ones.

I guess it will also depend when your exchange was originally enabled for ADSL, and what DSLAMs have been installed in the meantime. Some of these are compatible with ADSL2+, some of the older ones aren't.

In short, there's no direct information available about this, so unfortunately it isn't really possible to answer your question with any degree of certainty at all!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 02:46:52 AM by mr_chris »
Chris

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »

Most kind chaps.

I will probably call my ISP on monday and instruct them to upgrade me. I guess if there are  issues of any kind I can always revert back to Max.

Cheers