Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wish for the ability to put a ceiling on synch speeds  (Read 3334 times)

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
Wish for the ability to put a ceiling on synch speeds
« on: April 19, 2009, 12:30:59 PM »

My SmartAX MT882 and BT Voyager 2100 both synch at a downstream speed of c. 4.8 megabits per second.  Trouble is that stability is poor with resynchs abounding and reducing SNMR figures.

I looked around for a router that ideally would not synch at more than 4 megabits per second downstream.  I tried several of my stock of SAR110/130s and settled on a SAR130 that refused to synch faster than 4 MBPS.  Result: stability and constant SNMR figures.  The DMT utility now shows minimal errors and NO unavailable seconds.

Speed is not much use when stability is compromised.

Gordon Brown rants on about the digital economy.  Fat chance if ADSL performance cannot be improved.  I hope that optical fibre to the cabinet will be the cure (if the cabinets can be made vandal proof).  Anything to cut the distance that copper wire must run.
Windows XP

Frosty

• Just arrived
Re: Wish for the ability to put a ceiling on synch speeds
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:47:20 PM »

Hardly an official route but one that may help you. The DGTeam firmware for Netgear routers adds the ability to adjust the target SNR at sync time. This allows you to lower the sync speed.

You can buy a compatible router on ebay by searching for "dg834gt sky".

Search for "dgteam" on Google for a link to their firmware.

hake

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 01:03:16 PM »

Thanks.  Did you specify the SKY version because those versions of the DG834GT are cheaper or because they are necessary for technical reasons?  I see that non-SKY versions are much more expensive on eBay.  These routers are excellent wireless devices.
Windows XP

Devilman

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:10:01 PM »

Sky versions are generally locked to the ISP (so people sell them cheap) but when re-flashed with the DGTeam firmware it unlocks them for use on all ISPs :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 01:27:36 PM »

Unlocking Sky routers has a small risk of failure, so if you do buy one seek advice before actually doing it.
There are reasonably reliable well-documented processes for unlocking.
Just make sure you do get a DG834GT as there are other ex-Sky router models for sale.

Frosty

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »

Thanks.  Did you specify the SKY version because those versions of the DG834GT are cheaper or because they are necessary for technical reasons?  I see that non-SKY versions are much more expensive on eBay.  These routers are excellent wireless devices.

Yes only because they are cheaper. Most of the routers on ebay have already been flashed with the standard Netgear firmware and are unlocked, they usually say so in their description.

I purposefully didn't direct link to anything as it was my first post and didn't want to get into trouble :)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »

Hi

It might be usefull to see your stats before lowering your synch speed .

Try this link    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

there could be a simple explanation for the unstable connection
see here this might help    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Regards Jeff
zen user

hake

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 05:08:55 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts.  I am convinced that there is some external cause of my ADSL problems because the difficulties seem to coincide with working days (we are retired so our daily domestic routine is uniformly the same, bath on Friday nights, etc.).  I use an ADSLNation filtered faceplate but the cable plant in my house is probably OK as I have previously verified by connecting a BT Voyager 2100 direct to the master socket (with Exelcus microfilter) and observing SNMR intermittently and momentarily dropping to zero with the aid of DMT v8.07.

Being a tweaky geeky I will do the DG834GT Sky thing.  That sort of thing appeals to me.  Thanks Frosty.

My SAR130 continues to work with solid reliability, plodding away at a steady 4 MBPS.  Let's see what wonders will transpire on Monday.
Windows XP

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 05:25:26 PM »

Have you tried a resync later on at night when the SNR margin drops?  This may give you a lower sync speed.

I've found Drayteks seem to sync on the conservative side which gives good stability.

However, having said all that, as has already been suggested it would be useful in the first instance to see your line stats.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »

Weve bought several ex-sky routers from ebay and flashed them with standard netgear firmware.
ex-sky purely because they are cheaper than netgear badged. 

Both the DG834GT and DG934G are flashable with standard Netgear firmware.  It must be pointed out that there is a possibility of bricking the router.. and I'd recommend flashing via XP machines - using vista can cause a few additional difficulties.

Theres a couple of guides on the main site.

Flashing the Sky DG834GT Router with Netgear Firmware
Flashing the Sky DG934G Router

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker