Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Talk Talk  (Read 11423 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Talk Talk
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 08:39:04 AM »

I can get the full 8meg sync, but Tiscali have me on a stupid 12dB profile so I need to use DMT to push it down to a 6dB to get the 8128kbps with around 0.6dB spare margin.

Now I understand that Attenuation goes up when going to ADSL2+ by about 3dB is it?

In that case I should end up with either 32 or 33dB attenuation after going over as my attenuation hovers around 29 or 30 at the moment??

According to the calculator on here, I will either get 11 or 12 meg which would still be a welcomed improvement. ;D
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 10:39:48 AM »

>> Now I understand that Attenuation goes up when going to ADSL2+ by about 3dB is it?

On average yes...  but it does depend on the router (how it records the attenuation) and how much more speed you get.  The higher attenuation is because there is a wider band of available frequencies to measure the attenuation over.

If youre using the same router and its one that measures over the average tones in use rather than the whole available spectrum, and your speed doesnt increase too much, then your change in attenuation will be small. 

>> I will either get 11 or 12 meg

Theres one thing that worries me about your line Jamie and thats those gaps and dips at the higher end frequencies which are still there.  Because your bit loading at that point isnt up to much, it will still be there regardless if you are on adsl1 or adsl2+ and will impact on your maximum speed. :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 11:03:19 AM »

Yep those gaps are annoying  ???

So the gaps in the higher frequencies are where ADSL2+ works then? If so I wouldn't have a guarantee of improved speed due to the gaps...
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 06:10:44 PM »

>> So the gaps in the higher frequencies are where ADSL2+ works then?

Sorry if I wasnt clear I meant in the higher range of the adsl1 frequencies.

>> If so I wouldn't have a guarantee of improved speed due to the gaps...

Unfortunately not - if you cant sync at the full 8Mb on adsl 1, then adsl2+ isnt going to give you that much more.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »

I can confirm that in Ewhurst where everybody has a minimum line distance of 3 km and one particular house at about 4 km managed to persuade O2 to give him an ADSL2+ service.
His download speed was identical but he increased his upload speed from about 2.4 mbps to 2.8 mbps.

Kind regards,
Walter

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »

@Kitz, I can do 8128 no probs at 6dB Target snr, but not any higher (can't a lot of lines)

@walter, Upload isn't a huge issue for me, I need download more:D
Kind Regards
Jamie

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »

Just had an interesting online chat with TalkTalk.

I asked about BB tech support(bear in mind I already know its Indian)

I asked if TT's BB support is UK based.

Reply: I think it is London based.

Me: You think,can you please tell me for certain.

Reply: I don't have that information,I think it is worldwide.

Me: Worldwide,You mean India.

Reply:Yes we have call centres there and also in the USA.

Me: Goodbye.  :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »

>> Yes we have call centres there and also in the USA.

The latter is news to me, Ive not heard that one before!! 
Although I believe they do also have call centres in South Africa..  but thats a hell of a way from the USA  :no:

You'd think they'd  know where their own call centres are located wouldn't you. ;)
-----

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 11:33:01 PM »

Just come to this late as I've been away. I moved to TT fully LLU'd last August and have now got my line setlled down and it stays up well drops maybe once in 6-8 weeks. Cant get more than just over 6meg download speed which is fine. For me unlimited calls to landline, plus line rental plus BB saved me a lot over BT + Demon ISP. I've only used their forum for support and so far when needed (not often about two or three ties in fist couple of weeks) its been fine, several other family members have switched before me with no problems then or since. Just my experience. I also have my own router although TT did supply one anyway. I'm about 2.8km from exchange btw. They do use dynamic IP which is a small PITA but nothing which cannot be overcome usig a dyndns service.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2009, 04:16:17 PM »

I don't know whats happening at TalkTalk,but they are all of a sudden getting some excellent comments especially from users over at DSLZoneUK.
Has something happened as to why this is,have they finally got their act together............

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »

I know quite a few people on TT and while they do "have their moments" they are now just middle-of-the-road, neither brilliant nor awful.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »

But are they ready (and capable) of absorbing all the unfortunate refugees from the dreaded T ?

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 [2]

anything