Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hoax Virus/Bogus Software  (Read 6531 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Hoax Virus/Bogus Software
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »

While I have been surfing today I clicked on a website calle netlingo.com. I was just looking at net abbreviations when suddenly another page opened and a pop up telling me of a virus attack and to scan using the software on the page etc,etc.
I panicked a bit and just closed the pages straight away without waiting to see what was happening

Whats all that about? Is it to get you thinking you have a virus and then download some dodgy AV software.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Hoax Virus/Bogus Software
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 01:57:34 PM »

It was probably as you suspect, unkyUb, a spoof to get you to download a dodgy program along with all it's attendant malware etc.

As long as you did not click on anything, or download the offering, you should be ok.

It does show how easily you can get effected...........if you had been not as alert as you are, or had been inexperienced in the ways of the web, you could invite a whole can of worms onto your machine.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 02:02:14 PM »

I just had a look at that site and quickly got the same popup. As I don't use Windows it clearly wasn't true, just a frightener to get you to download something.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »

That site I originally visited was rated green by McAfee site advisor,so I thought it must be ok.  :no:

Thanks Eric,it just shows how alert you have to be.

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »

Unc I use the WOT add on from Firefox   and find it very good .... :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3456

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 02:09:41 PM »

Just as a matter of interest,does this kind of software automatically download on to your computer,or does it try and scare you into thinking you have got a virus and then click on the relevant software to download it.
I didn't hang around to find out.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 02:11:39 PM »

Unc I use the WOT add on from Firefox   and find it very good .... :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3456

That is very much like Mcafee site advisor,or is it better?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 02:12:42 PM »

I didnt get it when viewed in firefox...  but as soon as I attempted to view it in IE then I got the following pop-up...  and there was also another hidden window
(see screencaps below).

Its obviously scare tactics and false.  :no:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 02:18:29 PM »

I've no experience of the  McAfee thing Unc,  but WOT does a good job ... perhaps if you gave it a whirl and compared the two ....    :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 02:22:48 PM »

btw pressing cancel still takes you to antispywarepcscanner.com

From here you are 'invited' to purchase the product Personal AntiVirus.

Personal Antivirus, or PersonalAntivirus, is a rogue anti-spyware program to come out from the company called Innovagest 2000.
Personal Antivirus is installed by a trojan called Zlob, which attempts to trick you into buying the alleged rogue anti-spyware program. Once you're infected with Zlob, a fake security message similar to a Windows notification pops up saying your PC is infected with malware. This Personal Antivirus message is used to lure you into purchasing, downloading and installing their program to remove the imaginary spyware.
Personal Antivirus may also automatically launch at your computer's startup and scan your computer. Personal Antivirus may be difficult to remove manually, and will continue to try to recreate itself. Personal Antivirus is a clone of Internet Antivirus Pro and General Antivirus, which are other corrupt distributed programs. Personal Antivirus should not be trusted and is recommended to be removed.

Info from here
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 02:44:54 PM »

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 09:49:56 AM »

That's a very interesting link TD.  I have used Site Advisor for a couple of years now and have found it very useful......but now I'm not so sure???  :-\

How do people find the Firefox Add-on (WOT)?  Does it mark the site with the traffic light colour only once you get there, or does it mark it up on, eg, a Google search response page as Site Advisor does?

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »

Jazz ....  use this link  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3456

It gives the rating on the search response  .....   I have found it extremely useful and it updates regularly.   :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »

Kate,I have just downloaded WOT and it gives the netlingo.com site a green rating just like Mcafee site advisor.Will keep them both for the time being and compare the two.

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 12:54:52 PM »

Unc ...  I've just gone onto the netlingo site and yes  I have the same 'green' icon from  WOT, also if you hover the cursor over the WOT  icon on your  browser it gives it as excellent  !!  However, I have not had any pop up on the netlingo site   !!       :'(
Pages: [1] 2

anything