Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Motherboard Replacement  (Read 8470 times)

Imagine.

• Reg Member
Motherboard Replacement
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:36:50 AM »

Morning all  :)

I've come to the decision that I am going to upgrade my motherboard due to my old motherboards lack of features to toy around with  :D . I have decided which motherboard I am going to buy and what I will need. I have also read a few guides on replacing motherboards but what nobody has talked about is removing and reinstalling the CPU and I was hoping somebody here can shed some light on it ?  :)

Thanks in advance
Imagine™

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Motherboard Replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »

Not sure what you've got in mind really, or why. Can you explain a bit more?
Personally I'd probably buy a mobo/cpu/fan combination or even a complete barebones PC (i.e. those 3 plus ram, case and PSU pre-assembled) so you get a nice matched set for good performance.

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:42:36 PM »

well what I was hoping to do is buy a new motherboard and move the necessary hardware accross like CPU, RAM and such

*edit* not sure if it makes sense, I know how to remove the motherboard and stuff but I just wanted to know how to remove and reinstall the CPU which is socket LGA775 intel.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:51:19 PM by Imagine. »
Imagine™

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:51:04 PM »

If I'm not stating the obvious, you'll have to pick a motherboard which accommodates the same CPU type as your present one. There are several different CPU socket types. The MB manual should describe how to fit the CPU, and removal will be the same in reverse. The CPU cooler is the only thing likely to be difficult, and how it's fitted depends on what kind it is.
  Eric

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 12:53:13 PM »

If I'm not stating the obvious, you'll have to pick a motherboard which accommodates the same CPU type as your present one. There are several different CPU socket types. The MB manual should describe how to fit the CPU, and removal will be the same in reverse. The CPU cooler is the only thing likely to be difficult, and how it's fitted depends on what kind it is.

I made sure I got it right this time my CPU is a socket LGA775 and the MB im looking at is LGA775 too :)
Imagine™

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 01:33:56 PM »

You have given very few details of your current hardware specifications. Just because a CPU will fit the LGA775 socket, it does not follow that the CPU is actually supported by that same motherboard.
This may help.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20775%20(LGA775).html
The same conclusions may well apply to the RAM.

Not sure what features you wish to play with but upgrading a motherboard alone may not be so cost effective as purchasing a motherboard bundle (motherboard/CPU/RAM) as mentioned above.
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/bundles.html

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 01:50:10 PM »

Indeed. I went down this route recently and eventually bought a barebones PC (as described above) from that same company - Novatech.  :)

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 02:35:07 PM »

Seems I will have to go for a barebone package and move over then ram and graphics card, as my PSU isn't too healthy neither :)  seems barebones are better value for money than going out and buying a new PC for a shop shame many people including myself dont see it   :)
Imagine™

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 03:12:46 PM »

The package I bought included 2GB ram. But that doesn't cost much anyway.
IIRC it cost me about £180 inc delivery and all I added was a SATA disk and DVD (which I already had) as the onboard graphics were pretty good (fine for Aero etc.).
There are of course many such packages to choose from several suppliers with a wide range of prices.

It's now happily running Windows 7 in mirrored RAID mode and when W7 is released it will become my next "everyday" system.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 06:42:08 PM »

I did the same as HPsauce for about the same money and from Novatech too. It is a very painless way of upgrading. One caveat for anyone else thinking along the same lines particularlyif you opt for built in graphics is that the motherboard I got (Winfast 6150M2MA) uses an nvidia graphics system (6150) and that doesn't play nicely with Linux as Roseway will confirm. Otherwise I've been very pleased.
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 06:52:19 PM »

uses an nvidia graphics system (6150) and that doesn't play nicely with Linux as Roseway will confirm.

Without wishing to be argumentative, I'm not sure I will. :) If you insist on sticking with open source drivers, then Intel graphics are the best supported, but if you're happy to use proprietary drivers then nVidia is best (all my personal opinion of course).
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 01:13:35 AM »

Roseway, I'm sorry I should not have made assumptions about your opinion! What I should have said perhaps is that trying to use Debian 5 on my setup I find difficult no matter which drivers I try to use and the cure you pointed me at when I was using Etch no longer works because of the new auto detection of graphic cards and monitors. It works fine in Ubuntu and Mint but not Debian 5. None of this matters unless HPsauce was thinking of trying Linux and Debian 5 in particular and by now I have probably lost the interest of most other Forumites! Sorry.
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 07:14:48 AM »

There's nothing to apologise for, Tony. :)
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 08:57:18 AM »

unless HPsauce was thinking of trying Linux and Debian 5
Just Windows 7 on the box I referred to (and XP on another partition as a fallback).