Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A Vista tale browsers not responding  (Read 7037 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
A Vista tale browsers not responding
« on: March 06, 2009, 03:00:56 PM »

Hi

As you may remember I had problems with Vista and Avast. That was resolved .
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=4239.0

However I had further problems ,not noticed for a few days . If I left  FF, IE and or routestats running for Long period 3 hrs or so then one or all would stop responding . The first symptom on FF would be unable to connect to a site or even change site page . Eventually I found a link between AVAST resident protection. If I shut down FF quick enough then stopped the resident Avast protection I could then connect as normal.
Using task manager:
If FF had stopped responding completely then The only way out was to reboot .Windows removed the Application but  could NOT remove it completely from the process page .
If Routertats  stopped responding then even though the application was removed it again remained in the process page .But a second version could be started .

If IE had stopped responding then  even though the application was removed it again remained in the process page .But a second version could be started .

Had same problem with OPERA

I uninstalled AVAST and tried to install AVG but that failed (still need to find out why).

Re installed AVAST

I Found some info on the FF site . this appeared to point to a possible cause

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+hangs#Hang_after_prolonged_use

see references to AVAST and ZONE ALARM

Tried to find info on IE  very little there, but this was found in Zonealarm help forum

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=access&message.id=37117

I then decided to Uninstall AVAST again  and try Avira from Antivir (thanks to Scottiesmum :) ) based on the FF information  .

TOUCH wood It all seems OK I have run routerstats ,FF ,IE and Opera for various lengths of time up to 24Hrs ,  together and individually and all seems OK  ;D

I have posted this purely as Information .It might be useful to others .

regards Jeff

Regards Jeff

zen user

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: A Vista tale browsers not responding
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »

Hi

Further update . I don't normally use Opera ,I just had it when I had problems with FF and IE .Today Opera has been locking up for no apparent reason . Looking at various help sites it seems to be a common problem . So I have uninstalled it and will keep an eye out to see if they come up with a fix . Some seem to think its a problem with Zone alarm ?. Wait and see.

Jeff
zen user

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:08:09 PM »

Hi

last Sunday 08/03/09  Routerstats  not responding was ok for 5 to 6 days run for between 5 and 24hrs .

Monday decided to uninstall  Zonealarm as per FF recommendations (regarding problem with browser freezing).

Seems OK since .

Jeff
zen user

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 07:59:50 AM »

I have a feeling that Zone Alarm and Vista don't get on too well together.  I had endless browser problems (all varieties) until I uninstalled ZA, none whatsoever since.  I have been getting by on Windows firewall, and I know it isn't recommended but I've not had any nasties

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 04:11:29 PM »

Hi

After years using Zone alarm that is my feeling . FF does not seem happy with it nor does IE see links in original post.
If you are using a router with a firewall then the windows Firewall is not doing anything  as it only acts on incoming traffic.

I am trying COMODO .that gives similar controls on outgoing traffic as Zone alarm. Touch wood seems ok . will post if problems appear.
When installing COMODO must be careful to only install the firewall as both the AV and firewall are downloaded together.There is an option to do this .

Regards Jeff
zen user

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »

I do have a Belkin wireless router, but I honestly have no idea whether it has a firewall or not.  How would I find out?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 06:16:12 PM »

Hi

Which router is it ? . Normally It would tell you in the instructions or in your router set up pages .

Regards Jeff
zen user