Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Tiscali outage question  (Read 13664 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: A Tiscali outage question
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 07:14:20 PM »

Hi SunnyB,

Because you see zeros in the WAN (Wide Area Network) address it means the handshake with Tiscali has failed.
This could be because Tiscali have excommunicated you or that the user-name and password have somehow been erased.
You have passed the first check as you state the ADSL light is green. This means the modem is synchronising (i.e. talking) to the exchange equipment.
If the user name has been erased you must find a way of re-entering the data. This is why JiD is asking you to find the page with the username set up on it so you can verify if the data is still there. Your modem user-name should still be visible, although the password might be asterisks. The picture of the screen you need to see is shown on page 16 of the user manual.

ONLY if you feel confident and have the CD available you could reset the modem to factory defaults which is described on page 33 of the user manual (The manual can be downloaded from a link on Kitz's site after selecting your modem from the pull down list):-
Factory Defaults
You can reset the Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsl to the factory settings. You should do this
only if you want to make the device available to others or exchange it through the
dealer. In this case unauthorised persons could use the Internet access data at your
expense.
ì In the Administration menu, select Factory Defaults.
ì Select Reset to factory default settings and click Restart.
A window will appear prompting you to confirm the procedure.

Note:
If the Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsl is not operating correctly, you can reboot it by switching
it off and restarting it. It should then be ready for use again.
Please bear in mind that when the device is fully reset, all configuration settings are
returned to the factory settings. This means that you will have to completely reconfigure
the Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsl.

The fact that you have had broadband working, and still have modem synchronisation, is sufficient proof that you can get a service.
Some estimators are quite pessemistic and some say you already have a service which prevents a new one.
I suggest you should use http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php and enter either your own phone number or that of a neighbour.
Tell us what you find and we will go from there.

Kind regards,
Walter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 07:47:15 PM »

Hi

Some estimators are quite pessemistic and some say you already have a service which prevents a new one.

Check:     The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON etc .

The above is reported because I have an ADSL service  . So is normal.

If I use a number that I know has not got ADSL then it says    Check: No compatability issues

I would guess that if you did NOT see the first one  then it would indicate that there was NO adsl  connection. :(

Regards Jeff
zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 11:12:05 PM »

The simplest solution to this conundrum is surely:
a) refer to the Tiscali information they provided which gives your broadband logon
b) if you can't find that, phone them (long wait maybe)

The Gigaset is a standard router they provide which is preconfigured apart from the logon.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »

I'm responding to each post in turn as I read through the thread.

-------------------

Tiscali's IPStream is obviously in a dire postition at the moment.  The recent Ilford cable cut took out a couple of their central pipes which meant they didnt have enough 'available sessions' to be able to connect all their customers.

Keeping trying in the hope that you connect when someone else disconnects is about the best chance. 

However, what I cant understand atm is how that some other ISPs were also affected yet this issue has now been closed and service fully restored and its only tiscali that still seems to be affected.

Tiscali centrals have always been maxed to capacity (its why they get such slow peak time speeds)..  but what happens when you get so many customers and insufficient centrals, BTw start policing the centrals and wont let any more connect and thats when you may see a "BT holding page".

I'm not sure if this issue relates to you or not as youd need to know if you are on their IPStream service.

including the ADSL one - show a nice steady green,

That and the fact that you managed to get some stats from your router showing a connection speed seems to imply that you are connecting to the exchange - but just not onto tiscali's network for some reason or other. 
This is normally either down to the following reasons.

~ Incorrect username/password

~ Incorrect router setting (The usual one for tiscali is LLC based rather than VC-Mux based)

~ ISP disallowing the session - could be a few things, but under the current circumstances if you are IPStream, then its most likely due to a shortage of tiscali available sessions.

------------------------
Although your sync speed is low - much lower than I'd expect and indicates a problem somewhere.... this should not stop you from at least being able to get some sort of connection.

-------------------

OOps Im reading and responding to the thread as I go down here.
Jid has already picked up on the internet settings.

>> Encapsulation Method  LLC Bridged LLC Routed VcMux Bridged VcMux Routed 

Make sure this is set as VCMux - as mentioned above Tiscali MSANs wont accept LLC where as BT ones will.

----------------

>>> he results show that although our exchange is broadband-enabled,

What does the adsl checker say about your line - also what LLU ISPs are available to you (these will be shown on the right hand side)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

SunnyB

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 01:34:21 PM »

Thank you very much for explaining all that, Walter, it does make things a whole lot clearer.

I looked at page 16 of the manual and what I see on my screen doesn't look quite like that.  There is no log in box at all.  And to be honest, I don't feel at all confident about changing any of the factory settings either.

~~~~~~~~

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for that info.  I do see this:

Check:     The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON etc .

(and you'll see why a little further down the page)

~~~~~~~

Hi HPSauce,

The simplest solution to this conundrum is surely:
a) refer to the Tiscali information they provided which gives your broadband logon
b) if you can't find that, phone them (long wait maybe)

a)  there was no documentation whatever from Tiscali, other than a welcome letter showing my log in details - but the option to enter them now just isn't visible anywhere
b)  I've phoned the helpline twice every day since last Thursday and am heartily sick of hearing the guy drone on about the outage and then being put on hold, only to be either cut off or having to hang up and go do something more important

Thanks for the suggestions though.

~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Kitz,

Many thanks for your reply.

It looks as though our problem, at least, lies somewhere within the router itself and/or the settings, etc.

I am now able to get a broadband connection with the Belkin (the router we had before Tiscali sent the Siemens), although it wouldn't connect when I tried it a week ago at the point when we lost the broadband completely after a few days of intermitent service (using the Siemens).

~~~~~~~~~~~

To everyone who has offered help,

A very big thank you  :thumbs:

It's nice to know there are such helpful folk about.

Best wishes,
Kit.
(yup, that's my name - I'm not pinching Kitz's id!)

SunnyB

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 01:42:30 PM »

What does the adsl checker say about your line - also what LLU ISPs are available to you (these will be shown on the right hand side)

Hi again Kitz,

The main issue is apparently resolved - hooray - so not sure if this will help with anything but this is what the line checker shows:

Exchange Information 
Distance:- Direct:    4.94 km
  (appx)* By Road: 6.44 km

Status   
 ADSL enabled : February 9, 2005
 DSL Max enabled:  March 31, 2006
 SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
 21CN due : (PSTN) No Info
 21CN WBC (Broadband) RFS date 31.03.11
  Broadband Access† Market 1

BT Line Speed Estimation 

Fixed ADSL:  256 kbps (0.3 Mb) 
 DSL Max :   250 kbps (0.3 Mb) 
  21CN WBC : 250 kbps  (0.3 Mb) 

RAG Test Results 

Fixed:  1Mbps and 2Mbps not possible
 radsl:  Line has over 75dB loss, ADSL unlikely, but will be tested by an engineer on-site
 MAX:  ADSL Max is available
 TPON:  No info in database
 Check:  The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON etc

The only LLU shown as available is OnLincolnshire

(Those speeds might look laughably slow to anyone reading this, but pages load a whole lot faster than we've been putting up with using dialup!)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 01:48:02 PM by SunnyB »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »

a welcome letter showing my log in details - but the option to enter them now just isn't visible anywhere
If you do a full reset of the router it should "boot up" into a configuration wizard where you put those in.
Unless it's preconfigured with a generic logon that should just work anyway.
Nothing to lose by trying - you don't have to be connected to broadband to do it either, just a PC.  ;)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 05:41:15 PM »

Hi,

Nice to hear you have got it working.

It seems that the Tiscali router is definitely at fault somewhere, and is most likely related to login settings, but yours seems to be different to the one mentioned in the manual :-\
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 09:44:46 PM »

I am now able to get a broadband connection with the Belkin (the router we had before Tiscali sent the Siemens), although it wouldn't connect when I tried it a week ago at the point when we lost the broadband completely after a few days of intermitent service (using the Siemens).

I'm pretty sure this is more down to the Ilford break when tiscali lost some of their centrals - since that time they haven't had sufficient sessions (available connections) to cope with all their customers.

Each central pipe can in theory hold many thousands of customers.  The more customers that are crammed on each pipe, then the slower speeds get as they are all sharing the same amount of available bandwidth. 
Although the Centrals are 'owned by tiscali', BT Wholesale still provides the backhaul down the UK and they 'police the centrals' by only allow a maximum of 30,000 connections to each of the ISPs 622Mb central.  Once the 30,000 limit has been reached BTw say "no more connections" on this central and connection to the ISP just wont occur.

[adsl platform]

Think about it 30,000 customer sharing a 622Mb pipe is guaranting each customer just 21kbps if they were all to use their connection at once.  Its pretty well known that Tiscali's centrals are crammed to near capacity anyhow and its why their users see such slow speeds.

I think you 'fell lucky' when you tried to connect again with the Belkin and 'hopped on' as someone else 'hopped off' taking their place.
My advice to you is dont reboot your router or you may loose your place.

The fact that tiscali have had so many problems over the loss of just 2 centrals only goes to highlight how tight their capacity is.  Other ISPs may have seen some slower throughput speeds but coped ok and werent policed by BTw.

If the loss of just 2 centrals also had such dire consequences.. it also implies that the statement on their forums about the shortage of bandwidth on their IPStream connections being "looked into" is just not happening and they arent provisioning additional bandwidth.
I think Tiscali know that Im aware of this, and know that I could so easily point the finger at the correct source of their problems.. and its possibly why they delete my posts on their forums despite me not having broken any of their rules.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

SunnyB

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 10:38:17 PM »

I think you 'fell lucky' when you tried to connect again with the Belkin and 'hopped on' as someone else 'hopped off' taking their place.
My advice to you is dont reboot your router or you may loose your place.

You could well be right about striking lucky.

This evening, we lost the connection several times - each time after leaving the computer idle for a little while - and turned the Belkin off and on again each time.

Sometimes it would subsequently connect straightaway, other times not and we'd have to try again later.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:49:10 PM by SunnyB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 10:54:19 PM »

Check the belkin settings and see if theres a 'keep alive' setting somewhere so that your router doesnt disconnect after x amount of time being idle.
-----

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 07:00:40 PM »

Hi

If there is No keep alive option  then would something like routerstats  keep it busy  at least while the computer was on .

Regards Jeff
zen user

SunnyB

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »

Thanks again for the advice.

I haven't changed anything whatsoever, but since yesterday morning we have had a completely uninterupted service. 

Which sort of seems to speak for itself, doesn't it?

It was nice meeting you all and I know where to come in future!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 01:54:29 PM »

Youre welcome :)

Hope the connection holds :)
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything