Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Tiscali outage question  (Read 13662 times)

SunnyB

A Tiscali outage question
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »

Hi,

We've been having problems with Tiscali broadband for a week now.

From around last Saturday (4th) to Wednesday (8th), the service would connect and disconnect intermittently, but since Wednesday we haven't been able to get online at all.  I'm having to use PAYG at the moment.

We have a Siemens SE587 router and all lights - including the ADSL one - show a nice steady green, apart from the "online" one, which is red.  I tried using our old Belkin in case the Tiscali-supplied router was giving problems, but that also shows the same - all lights green apart from the "internet" one.

I've just tried using the ADSL line checker here on site and it gave this result:

RAG Test Results 

Fixed:  1Mbps and 2Mbps not possible
 radsl:  Line has over 75dB loss, ADSL unlikely, but will be tested by an engineer on-site
 MAX:  ADSL Max is available
 TPON:  No info in database
 Check:  The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON etc

Is it possible that this kind of result could be due to the "BT tunnel" issue (and so might eventually be resolved), or has Tiscali finally given up the ghost in our area?

I just tried posting in the Tiscali forum but can only read the boards, not post (maybe due to the Bank holiday?) and interestingly, neither can I access my account details at all there nor do any of the "upgrade package" links seem to be working either.

Any information and/or help very gratefully received!

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: A Tiscali outage question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »

Hi SunnyB, and welcome to the forums.

Can you post your router stats for someone to have a look at.

You can find out here how to do it.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Looks like you are on a very long line,what speeds were you getting before your problems.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »

Hi & welcome to the Forum.

Router stats will help as Uncle says.

As you say, you can`t post in the Tiscali forum, is that the "Broadband Service Support" forum? If it is then no real surprise, to Quote the sticky for that section...

The Service forums are monitored by Tiscali staff Mon-Fri 9:30am - 5:30pm.

The Broadband Service forums are 'Read only' from 5:30pm on Friday until 9:30am on
Monday, although you can continue to use the discussion and product areas during this time. This area is also closed for new posts on bank holidays.

Maybe it`d be better to post in the discussion section? at least someone might b able to suggest something & it`d be on record (as long as it doesn`t get deleted).

As you`re a new member, can I ask how you found this site, it always helps to know how you came by here.

Please enjoy yourself & ask anything you wish, theres plenty of knowledgeable people here.

Regards.

Steve

SunnyB

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:15:56 PM »

Hello UncleUB and stevie,

Thanks for the welcome and swift replies!

I'll get the stats later and post them here if you wouldn't mind taking a look - have never done it before and dial up is painfully slow, also should be doing something else just now  :(

I was logged in at Tiscali and tried to post on the "support" board, but when unable to do that assumed it was an out of hours thing.  Then tried to post on the "discussion" board, but same result. 

Kitz was mentioned on the boards there, so used a suggested Google search for "Tiscali BT outage" (or similar, sorry can't remember exact wording) and found the site here.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »

I have put the instructions below as the page mentioned by Unc will take ages to load on Dial up.

Click this: http://192.168.1.1

> Click on Status from the top menu.
> Select  DSL Status from the left menu.

Default username = admin. Password = admin

Just copy and paste them here and we will take a look:D
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

SunnyB

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 06:48:55 PM »

The page that UncleUB gives loads reasonably quickly, but this page http://192.168.1.1 gives a time out error message.

Our broadband router won't connect at all and I'm using a dial up modem - is that the problem?

(Sorry if this is silly question, but am not at all technically minded.)

We are around 5 miles from the very rural exchange, but have always been reasonably happy with the broadband speed up until last weekend when things started to go badly wrong.  What the speed was prior to that, I'm sorry I have no idea,  but it worked well enough as we don't download a lot of things, just browse usually.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:12:55 PM »

Hello UncleUB and stevie,

Kitz was mentioned on the boards there, so used a suggested Google search for "Tiscali BT outage" (or similar, sorry can't remember exact wording) and found the site here.

The search would have been for "Tiscali BB Service Outages"....wouldn`t have a clue who posted it....  :-X  :lol:

At least someone found their way here....

You`ll get loads of help & advice here.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »

Hi SunnyB,

In order to look at your broadband modem with 192.168 etc. you have to ensure your browser is "looking" at your ethernet cable which must remain plugged into your modem, still with the power applied and with the broadband wire still plugged into your ADSL filter.
This lets your computer examine the data inside the modem, rather than trying to search the web. It follows that it doesn't matter that your broadband modem isn't connecting to Tiscali, as it ought at least be looking at your telephone exchange so should give you the line statistics.

I hope this helps and apologies to others jumping in but I expect SunnyB wants to resolve this as soon as he can.

Kind regards,
walter

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »

The page that UncleUB gives loads reasonably quickly, but this page http://192.168.1.1 gives a time out error message.

Our broadband router won't connect at all and I'm using a dial up modem - is that the problem?

As Walter posted, the computer needs to be looking for your Ethernet and not via the Dial up.

Disconnect from dial up, and make sure the router is plugged in via the ethernet cable and powered up, then try going to http://192.168.1.1 following the instructions I gave earlier. :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

SunnyB

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:02:42 PM »

Thanks for the explanations Walter and jid.

I didn't have to log in, but this is what it says:

Driver Version: 1.75 
API Version: GS_API_626 
Firmware Version: E.25.41.18 A 
Dsp Version: 0x000000e1 
US Trained Rate: 448  kbps 
DS Trained Rate: 448  kbps 
Current US data rate during last 30 sec: 0.153   kbps 
Current DS data rate during last 30 sec: 0   kbps 
Local Line Attenuation: 55.0 dB 
Remote Line Attenuation: 31.0 dB 
Local SNR Margin: 14.5 dB 
Remote SNR Margin: 16.0 dB 
Operation Progress: 0x000000ad 
State: Showtime 
Rx ATTNDR: 1028000 
Tx Cell Rate: 1056 
Rx Cell Rate: 1056 
Overall Failure: 0 
PMmode: L2L3Allowed 
Local ITUCountry Code: 0x0000b5ff 
Auto Start: true 
Whip Active: Inactive 
Profile: BT 
Standard: BisPlusAuto 
Utopia Interface: Level1 
Rx Auto Bin Adjust: Disable 
Tx Attenuation: Bis_0DB 
Detect Noise: Disable 
Capability: A2/A2+ 
Coding Gain: auto 
Framer Type: Type3ET 

Is that what you need?

P.S. Yes stevie, funnily enough "Tiscali BB Service Outages" was the exact wording - thanks ;)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:17:10 PM »

The problem there is the Downstream sync is way too low.

On your line, you should be seeing 3680kbps with a local attenuation of 55dB, according to Kitz's Max speed calculator.

The Internet light isn't on because either the login details in the router are not correct.

Switch it off then on again.

Once all the "normal" lights are on, see if the Internet one goes green now, if not then either the outage is still affecting you, or the settings aren't correct within the router.

go to http://192.168.1.1

click Setup which is at the top.

Then click Basic Settings.

Make sure the username is correct and that there is a password entered, if not change them then click Save Changes.

If all was fine, try doing Status > Internet and if you can, copy and paste that, if not see if there is anything relating to the Internet status, e.g Connected, Disconnected etc

Let us know how you get on:D Sorry about all the words, I have been looking at the router manual to find these steps :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

SunnyB

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »

Switching off and on again doesn't help.  It's the only thing I could think to try and have done it many times over the past week!

In "Basic Settings" (mine says "Basic Setup") there is no sign of log in details at all.   A screen that looks as though it could be a log in page flashes briefly before showing the "Basic Setup" page, but it's gone before there's any time to read it.    All the info that does show on the basic setup page is greyed out as though it can't be altered.

Status > Internet shows this:

PVC Connection:  Tiscali - data PPPoA Tiscali - IPTV Tiscali - data IPoEoA 
Internet Connection Type: PPPoA 
Connect Now     
IP Address: 0.0.0.0 
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0 
MTU: 1492 
Primary DNS server: 
Secondary DNS server: 
PVC Connection 
QoS: UBR 
Pcr Rate:  2000 
Scr Rate: 0 
 VCI:  38 
 VPI: 0 

Other than where it says connect now in the above, there is no sign of internet status being connected/disconnected on any of the available tabs or submenus.

Many thanks for everyone's help, it's greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:27:59 AM by SunnyB »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »

Hi SunnyB,

I think JiD is off line at present.
He's right that you seem to have lost your user details and somehow you've got to get to the setup menu within the user interface to restore them.
It's a bit difficult to know exactly what you're doing.
You could try shutting everything down completely, then powering up the Siemens broadband modem and waiting at least 30 secs before re-booting your computer.
Then, with the dial-up modem disconnected, use your browser to do the 192.168 procedure.

Kind regards,
Walter

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 10:53:07 AM »

Hi SunnyB,

I have read through the manual and it does say "Basic Setup", i apologise, my mistake. :-[

Do as walter suggested:-
You could try shutting everything down completely, then powering up the Siemens broadband modem and waiting at least 30 secs before re-booting your computer.

Now with the Dial up disconnected, go to http://192.168.1.1/ then click Setup from the top navigation, then Basic Setup.

On that page should be a section, "Internet Setup", within there, should be "username" and "password".
If they aren't there, enter your Tiscali username and password then click "Save Settings".

Let us know how it goes :)

Regards

Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

SunnyB

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 05:50:01 PM »

Thanks again guys.

This is all I see on the Internet Setup page:

Internet Setup 

PVC selection 
 Tiscali - data IPoEoA 
 Internet Connection Type 
 RFC 2684 Bridge/IP Connection 

Delete  this  PVC                             
Description   
Encapsulation Method  LLC Bridged LLC Routed VcMux Bridged VcMux Routed 
VPI   (Range 0~255) 

VCI   (Range 32~16384) 

DHCP Mode ON OFF 
WAN IP Address  . . .   
Subnet Mask . . .   
Default Gateway 
Primary DNS  . . .   
Secondary DNS  . . .   
NAT ON OFF 

Where you see "..." above, the page actually shows greyed out zeros and there's nothing about log in details at all.

However..................

The problem looks to be something more drastic than the router.

Our broadband contract is up in about 3 weeks, so, in desperation, I've been looking at other ISPs.

When checking what sort of speeds we could expect, the results show that although our exchange is broadband-enabled, we can't get the service via our line even though we've had bb for at least a couple of years now.

Would that suggest that something has suddenly happened to our own line, or maybe that the exchange has recently had an increased demand (from those living closer to it??)  or could it all still be down to the outage announced about 10 days ago?

The timing all seems to point to the "BT tunnel" fiasco, but that could just be a coincidence.

(There's no way anyone here can have an answer to this, I don't think, but am just looking for a bit of advice/reassurance that it'll all come out in the wash.........not sure what, really  :-\ )

Pages: [1] 2

anything