Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ripped music track out of order  (Read 9223 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Ripped music track out of order
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:25:49 PM »

I hope everyone is enjoying the Easter break and taking things easy, so here is another of Pete's Problems if you would put your minds to it please.

When I rip music track to my pc they often are out of order, and the track titles are wrong. i.e

Track one may in fact be track 13 when I play it, although when I hover the cursor over it it shows the correct name for track one.

It appears not to matter what I use to rip tracks, although Windows Media player successfully ripped 20 out of twenty four tracks in  correct order, the remaining four being shown as 'Unknown'.

I hope this is clear enough to make sense to you all, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Ripped music track out of order
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 04:06:51 PM »

Firstly it has to be said that some programs are much better than others at naming tracks.

The problem lies with the "Tag information" that is written to the track on the CD.
If not in the correct format whatever program you are using to rip the track will not be able to read it and will therefore name the file in order of when it was ripped.

With using Media Player, check which settings you are using when ripping tracks and try not to use the option of automatically updating track information from the web, as this may also be the cause of the problem.
The track number may well be correct "but for a different album"

If you don't have many tracks to alter, you can change the Tag information by clicking on the file, select "Properties" and changing it from there.

Unfortunately the program I use called "MusicMatch JukeBox" is now no longer available but does a excellent job.
(Hence the reason on other threads why I insist on wanting to keep it)
However there are also other programs available which hopefully someone will be able to advise you on.

edit:
Meta Data changed to Tag information
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:03:07 PM by oldfogy »

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:19:37 PM »

Thanks oldfogy, I shall give that go over the week-end, too knackered now to even think about it.

I did successfully record one military band disc today which kept the correct order, but did not show track titles, for this I used the free programme CdBurnerXP offered in Computeractive, so that's a start.

I also tried a Hoagy Carmichael CD using Windows Media Player, this ripped the tracks ok but missed a track near the end and so threw the previous two titles out of sync.

Well it keeps the old grey matter active! ;)

Peter

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:49:22 PM »

Can you just clarify what you are doing.
Your first post states that you are ripping music from an audio disc to the computer.
Your second post indicates you are burning to CD/DVD disc.

When ripping from an audio disc, is the audio disc authentic i.e. not a copied disc

I find CDex quite good for extracting from audio discs. You can extract to WAV or MP3.
You can use the remote CDDB to ensure track numbers and title are correct before extracting.
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/?q=download

When burning to disc, ensure you use the "Create Audio CD" option to create the CDAudio system necessary for a standard music disc, or you may well lose the track numbers and names.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 06:59:33 AM »

What copy of Windows Media Player are you using Peter?
I have WMP 11 installed and have never had any problems.I just rip the disc using WMP 11,then insert a blank CD-R,then burn to it using WMP 11.
As Exo has said are the disc's you are ripping 'copies'

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 03:04:50 PM »

Hi All,

Sorry about the late reply, today is my 71 st birthday so I'm a little busy.

Sorry too for the confusion, maybe caused by the reference to CDBurnerXP a free programme I have only just downloaded in the hope it may do the job, it didn't.

Is the programme Cdex a free one or am I to spend money to get it?

I have found the problem the same with both genuine shop bought CDs and copied ones.

I am using WMP 11

Enjoy the reset of the Easter break folks, and many thanks for the useful info, I am off to celebrate my birthday now.

Peter :drink: :drink:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 03:11:31 PM »

Peter, have a great birthday..........and many more of them... :congrats: :drink:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »

Happy Birthday Peter. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 03:30:23 PM »

Happy birthday Peter :)
  Eric

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 04:08:49 PM »

Is the programme Cdex a free one or am I to spend money to get it?

Happy birthday and Cdex is free............more reason to celebrate.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »

Thank you everyone, I did indeed have a very happy birthday, managed to keep reasonably sober too! ;)

I'm now off to download CDex, many thanks again .

Peter

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 01:17:38 PM »

I have to say that in the past I have ripped many music discs and not all of them have been "Taged" successfully, so if you are encountering this for the first time or so then you will come to find that it is not uncommon for it to happen, even with shop brought disc's.
The main problem probably lies with the quality of the original disc.

NB. I mentioned "Meta Data" in my first post, that should have been "TAG information"
(Original post has since been edited to reflect that change)