Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: AOL Speed  (Read 24852 times)

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
Re: AOL Speed
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 11:39:48 AM »

Hey guys

Just to say my connection has gone really poor again.  Tried restarting the router few times and connection is great for a few minutes (an hour if we're lucky) but then it drops again and goes poor.  Causing real problems in the house with my dad not being able to do his work and losing connection all the time.

It's especially bad when we're both on our computers or i'm on Xbox Live (sometimes unplayable).  My dad does a lot of photography and uploading photos can sometimes take 10 minutes, sometimes take 1 minute. 

What else can i do now, because this is seriously starting to affect us. 

Appreciate it guys. 

Kind regards.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 06:29:44 PM »

Hi
quote from Roseway : We would need to see the current router stats to understand what's happening.

they will  needed for anyone to be able to help.

edit : Routerstats might also be useful from http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm this enables long term monitoring of your stats rather than spot checks.
Regards Jeff
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:33:55 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »

System Up Time 02:49:47
Port    Status    TxPkts    RxPkts    Collisions    Tx B/s    Rx B/s    Up Time
WAN    PPPoE    12546    16066    0    210    1346    02:49:29
LAN    100M/Full    5359    0    0    37    0    02:49:45
WLAN    11M/54M    19853    13419    0    1414    234    02:49:37

ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    3776 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    51 db    31.5 db
Noise Margin    2147483647 db    20 db

Done this today, internet seems to be fast and consistently good but i have no idea what it means

And looked at other peoples and my previous stats, that noise margin looks MASSIVE

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 10:25:02 PM »

System Up Time 02:49:47
Port    Status    TxPkts    RxPkts    Collisions    Tx B/s    Rx B/s    Up Time
WAN    PPPoE    12546    16066    0    210    1346    02:49:29
LAN    100M/Full    5359    0    0    37    0    02:49:45
WLAN    11M/54M    19853    13419    0    1414    234    02:49:37

ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    3776 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    51 db    31.5 db
Noise Margin    2147483647 db    20 db

Done this today, internet seems to be fast and consistently good but i have no idea what it means

And looked at other peoples and my previous stats, that noise margin looks MASSIVE

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?

Also done that as well, don't know if it means anything but please advise?  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 10:38:38 PM »

That noise margin figure is a bug in the router firmware. It's actually -1, but the firmware can't handle negative numbers. Although some routers will still hold onto the connection when the noise margin falls to zero or negative, it's probable that the error rate is rather high under these conditions, which will cause lag and poor throughput.

Looking at some earlier stats which you provided, your target margin appears to be 12 dB, yet it sometimes falls to zero or below. This isn't normal, and could be caused by several different things, either in your home or externally. I think you need to work through the troubleshooting guide to try to locate the source of the problem.
  Eric

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 10:44:11 PM »

That noise margin figure is a bug in the router firmware. It's actually -1, but the firmware can't handle negative numbers. Although some routers will still hold onto the connection when the noise margin falls to zero or negative, it's probable that the error rate is rather high under these conditions, which will cause lag and poor throughput.

Looking at some earlier stats which you provided, your target margin appears to be 12 dB, yet it sometimes falls to zero or below. This isn't normal, and could be caused by several different things, either in your home or externally. I think you need to work through the troubleshooting guide to try to locate the source of the problem.

Thanks for that mate, however.

My connection over the past couple of days has been the best it's ever been, and my xbox live connection has been quality, so it just seems a bit strange. 

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 11:09:21 PM »

Hi
My connection over the past couple of days has been the best it's ever been, and my xbox live connection has been quality, so it just seems a bit strange.

Yes BUT it seems unstable .Have you tried running routerstats ? as per the link I gave you .
And you should follow the advice that Roseway has given you . The margin dropping to zero is an indication of some problem.
You still haven't provided full stats to see if you are racking up errors

Total Up Times (From SF counts):
 WAN:   11 days, 09:41:33
 LAN:   24 days, 05:43:46
 PPoA: 0days,10:31:30

CRC:  881
LOS:  2
LOF:  18
ES :  10

SF:               57953103
SF Errors:        6
Reed Solomon:     3940811034
RS Corrected:     21725
RS Un-Corrected:  51
HEC:              6
Errored Seconds:  10
Severe ES:        2
Interleave Depth: 32

Regards Jeff

zen user

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 08:53:42 AM »

Went on last night to try and do what you advised with the router tracking thingy (as you can tell i'm not that good with anything technical)

And now i can't get on the internet at all.  The router is showing 3 green lights but when i try to load up the internet it isn't doing anything. 

This is starting to get annoying, why would this be?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 09:12:29 AM »

How are you connecting to the router? If it's wireless then perhaps the wireless connection has failed. If it's ethernet, then maybe a cable has come loose?
  Eric

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 09:27:52 AM »

How are you connecting to the router? If it's wireless then perhaps the wireless connection has failed. If it's ethernet, then maybe a cable has come loose?

Hi again  ???

Right, my computer is wirelessly but my dads is done straight into the router i believe.

Non seems to be working.  It was working late last night, say 12am, woke up this morning and nothing.  Noone had changed anything, knocked anything or done anything that could possibly affect it, but yet nothing happens when i try to go on the internet. 

I'm so unlucky with anything electrical  :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »

routerstats shouldnt interfer with your connection..  all it does is read the connection information.

Due to the fact that previously your SNR was showing negative figures, I wonder if your SNR has perhaps dipped further and your router has totally lost the connection.
Sometimes it may require a total reboot to get it working again.  This does happen from time to time with various routers.

Can you also still get to your router stats - this should tell you if you have a working internet connection or not.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 11:10:35 AM »

I'm unable to get online at home to get onto the routerstats thing to start it working.

What do you mean by a total reboot? I've tried turning it off and on a few times but to no avail.

:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 12:42:58 PM »

>> What do you mean by a total reboot?

Just power off and back on again.

Then look at the line stats from the router to see what your sync speed is.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 01:00:55 PM »

Powered it off 2 or 3 times this morning and still wouldn't connect.  :no:

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2009, 08:25:31 AM »

Right, like i said i keep getting the orange light flashing, sometimes it's there and sometimes it isn't.

Last night it did it, so i called AOL.  By the time i finally got through to the person on the other end that there was a problem and i wanted my line testing the light came back on so they said they couldn't do anything.

Really annoying and there customer service is TERRIBLE, REALLY REALLY BAD.  Asked when my contract runs out and thank god it's August, so i'm going to change provider.  Only thing is having to put up with this for a couple of months….  Will this help do you think?  At least i'll be able to get half decent English customer service from some other companies.

Is there anywhere I can find out which new ISP will be best for me and my area and find out if they’ll be able to help with problems such as this where AOL have failed?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6