Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I let My ISP Throttle My Speed .  (Read 6833 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
I let My ISP Throttle My Speed .
« on: April 28, 2007, 11:55:47 PM »

I'm on a fixed 3Gb download and I go over each month by 1 or 2 Gb.

So I just thought I would set my download limit to Only 3Gb  >:D and not pay any more this month.  ;)

Well with more than a week to go before I get next months 3Gb I went over my allowance on Friday last and the next day my ISP throttled me to 64Kbps.down and 175Kbps up.  (speed tester results)
My DSL is its normal of about 5408 Kbps and 416 Kbps up ( normally 448 ).

Is there any way of using your upload for downloading ? eg. add the 64 & 175, any software out there ?.

Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: I let My ISP Throttle My Speed .
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:29:53 AM »

Not that Im aware of.

I dont think it would be possible anyhow because upstream and downstream use different frequency ranges.
ie you send out (upstream) at a lower frequency that you receive data.
Theres specific ranges (BINS) for the upstream, and downstream will take whats left over up to the highest frequency it can "hear".

I know with RADSL sometimes downstream can "borrow" some of the range upstream BINs to help improve your downstream speeds... but this is all negotiated between your router and the dslam at the exchange during sync.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »

Hi Kitz.
Thanks for reply.

Re..."Not that Im aware of." that's a pity  :(.

Re..."I don't think it would be possible anyhow because upstream and downstream use different frequency ranges.
ie you send out (upstream) at a lower frequency that you receive data.
"

I get a good idea of what goes off by looking at my DMT tool graphs.

I was interested to see was the actual throttled speed would be, My ISP told me it would be 256Kbps.But now they tell me that was a mistake.
 Is 64Kbps a normal 'Throttled' speed ?.
How do they throttle the speed ?.
Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Beta Tester

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 11:37:19 PM »

Yes, 64kbps sounds like a normal throttled speed.

Most ISP's use traffic shaping switches which run on their own IP networks (ie after the BT Wholesale -> ISP gateways). Companies such as Ellacoya Networks manufacture these. Where I work we use Packeteer switches. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping for more info on these technologies.

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything further that you can do about this - either accept it or purchase more bandwidth.

M.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 11:40:06 PM by Beta Tester »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 10:58:04 AM »

>> Is 64Kbps a normal 'Throttled' speed ?.

Throttled speeds can be anything really - although it would appear usual to go in steps of 32kbps in line with BTs possible sync speed stages.

Your account will have a "profile" and these profiles are then sent to the switches which will that monitor throughput and they will throttle your line accordingly. 

As beta tester has already mentioned there are some pretty efficient switches which can maintain customer profiles, but in actual fact the throttling is actually applied on the edge routers.  Some ISPs dont have ellacoyas, but all ISPs use powerful edge routers such as Juniper ERX's which are able to apply basic throttling.  Basic in the sense of say throttling by type of traffic identified using port numbers or port ranges. 

The switches are much cleverer in that they can identify specific types of traffic and inspect packets to identify the type of traffic regardless of port no.  Therefore you cant fool them by simply changing which port you send your traffic on.
As traffic comes from the Internet the switches inspect and identify the type of data and tag it accordingly..  the routers then apply any shaping according to the tag.

Theres a diagram on my How adsl works page which shows the ISP equipment.
There you can see the Junipers which are on the edge of their equipment and basically sit between the BT network and before the (gateway) routing on to the Internet.
If the ISP use intelligent switches such as ellacoya, then these would be placed between the edge router and the gateway routers, at the <--> bit.

There are a couple of tools such as ethereal with which you can capture data packets and read  how your traffic has been tagged.  This shows up in the Differentiated Services Field.
If you like later  on (and if I remember) I'll switch logins and show a couple of examples of how traffic can be tagged, so you can see how its being shaped.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 10:39:18 PM »

Thank you for your replies they are very interesting.
Next month I will set my user limit back up, now I know what my throttled speed is, 64k is a bit to low to work with (although I had to make do for many years on  dial up with a speed about 54k and sometimes as low as 9k).

The only difference at my end on my speedtouch info says is it's going through a different gateway IP address.

Re.  "If you like later  on (and if I remember) I'll switch logins and show a couple of examples of how traffic can be tagged, so you can see how its being shaped."

I will be keen to see that.

Michael.

Beta Tester

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 10:54:02 PM »

As beta tester has already mentioned there are some pretty efficient switches which can maintain customer profiles, but in actual fact the throttling is actually applied on the edge routers.  Some ISPs dont have ellacoyas, but all ISPs use powerful edge routers such as Juniper ERX's which are able to apply basic throttling.  Basic in the sense of say throttling by type of traffic identified using port numbers or port ranges. 

I stand corrected.

So most ISP's actually utilise 2 ways of managing traffic? Edge routers to restrict people who have gone over their bandwidth, and traffic shaping/QoS switches to do cleverer stuff like drop P2P packets etc.

Cool - was not aware of that.

I am currently trying to work out if our Packeteer switches at work are causing issues with our corporate website (ie it is running v. slowly). Our Comms team tell me it isn't anything to do with the Packeteer switches - but I'm not so sure.

M.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:49:29 AM »

If you like later  on (and if I remember) I'll switch logins and show a couple of examples of how traffic can be tagged, so you can see how its being shaped.

Sorry Ive been really busy over the past couple of days, and only just had chance to do this.

I fired up ethereal and started some captures...  only to realise everything was being marked as "gold" - D'oh of course it would be cause its not "peak".
I'd need to capture in the early evenings to show any..  but I have captured some gold packets which show how theyve been tagged.

See the first image below which is http traffic and given priority.  The TOS (or ethereal shows that in the Differentiated Services field is 0x80 (DSCP 0x20) which is how the data packets have been tagged as gold.

Although I was going to cap some different types of data Image 2 below is one I did a while back showing Silver traffic - which is identified as 0x40 (DSCP 0x10).

Ethereal shows the full TOS Byte as the Differentiated Service Field.
The DSCP (Differentiated Service Code Point) is only the first 6 bits of the TOS.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 12:22:56 PM »

Up date.

Last Saturday the 5th May was the day when my new monthly 3Gb usage starts, so at about 00.30 I rebooted my router to get my normal un-throttled speed back.
Still 64k    tried again ...64k, later on that day rebooted , still no good , turned off router for 30 mins., still no good, same all day Sunday, now they are are taking the pxxx. >:D
 Monday rebooted, at last I have my normal speed back. :)

Do you know if they manually have to reset there system or is it supposed to be automatic ?.

Well after this experiment at least I know that my throttled speed is 64Kbps down and about 95K to 175K up and not what I was told by my ISP of 256Kbps, of which I could have lived with for a few days.

Michael.

Tried to post to the forum, gets warning notice you have new post.

"Sorry Ive been really busy over the past couple of days, and only just had chance to do this."

Thanks Kitz for the the info very interesting thanks for taking the trouble to capture the info. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 02:17:06 PM »

So most ISP's actually utilise 2 ways of managing traffic? Edge routers to restrict people who have gone over their bandwidth, and traffic shaping/QoS switches to do cleverer stuff like drop P2P packets etc.

Theres various things they can do depending upon their own set up and equipment.

There probably are many switches that do handle this on company networks, I was just talking about how it works at an ISP level.
TBH Im not exactly sure how traffic shaping works and my knowledge is really only based on asking questions on a few occasions with one of the Networking guys - (who is actually  considered one of the most knowledgable in the UK about ellacoya profiles).  Some other stuff Ive picked up on the way.. and if anything I say is wrong then its more likely to be down to my interpretation rather than what Ive been told.

One of the most common edge routers that ISPs use seems to be Juniper ERX's (several years ago it was Redbacks), but the Juniper ERXs are more powerful and have the ability to perform QoS.
Theres detailed info about using the ERX's for QoS on the enclosed
http://www.m40.net/techpubs/software/erx/erx41x/erx-product-overview/download/software-overview.pdf

In section 3-43 theres a diagram showing 4 different types of traffic queues.
AIUI, most ISPs that use them in this way, tend to use "Gold, Silver and Bronze" prioritisation on their Networks.

Underneath theres some info about how they can also do Policy Management - ie on protocol or from reading the TOS byte.

As previously mentioned are intelligent switches that perform deep packet inspection to tag traffic and allow a lot more profiling than what can be done with just the ERX's. 
Whilst the ERXs can pick up traffic based on protocol, they can be fooled if someone uses different port numbers etc.  Ellacoyas aren't easily fooled and the packet inspection they do identifies the type of traffic.. and it tags it with the relevant TOS.

-------
A bit of useless info.

From around 2003 BTw started using Juniper ERX's to manage some of their VPs. They also used Cisco, and all was well until the introduction of 1Mb home accounts.  Those of us that were around at the time may remember how disasterous it was for many people and how contention kicked in BIG time for the 1Mb'ers.
Basically bandwidth wasnt being shared equally, and whilst a 512kb user may not notice contention kicking in at 400kbps - a 1Mb user would.. and they did!
BT rolled out a nationwide fix in early 2004 at exchanges which took several months to complete.  One of the fixes was replacing the Cisco kit with ERXs, to ensure that 1Mb users got their fair share of available bandwidth.

Although BTw dont actually (or didnt) perform true QoS at the exchanges, for a long time I have suspected that they do perform something at a very basic level, because on numerous times when Ive suffered from contention, although Ive seen some pretty poor speeds, latency has never been affected.
In summer 2003 our exchange suffered real bad with exchange congestion and speeds went below 100kbps at one point yet the 30+ users on our exchange reporting problems, not one of them had any  difficulty with latency.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 02:19:33 PM »

>> Do you know if they manually have to reset there system or is it supposed to be automatic ?.

Would have thought it was automatic.  They may wait until they're sure that your monthly bill has been paid though?
-----

anything