Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: BT ADSL2?  (Read 33750 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT ADSL2?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 08:00:29 PM »

>> i should be syncing at 17/18000 iv seen people with 27db on those syncs.

My calculations are based on the default SNR Margin of 6dB.  Each 3dB of SNR is worth anything between 400-1200 kbps of speed depending on your bit loading.

Quite a few people tweak their lines taking their SNRM down, this will obviously impact on the speed they can attain.. but it will likely affect stability of the line.

If your line is fluctuating by 7dB, then it is not recommended that you tweak the SNRM lower as you will get frequent disconnects.   
Would be best investigating to see if you can find out what is causing the fluctuations in SNRM.

>> noise was still at around 12 and has stayed up there

Be gives you more flexibility for changing your Target SNR Settings..  be aware that SNR, SNR Margin and Target SNR, whilst related are not the same thing.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ash888

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 11:19:43 PM »

guys, iv been activated on BE ahead of schedule, went live tonight.

it seems as though the issues i mentioned have been ironed out themselves or by BE, lets hope they stay this way.
this is what im getting now with the BEbox. as long as it stays like this im happy.

Uptime:   0 days, 1:54:44

DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,317 / 17,512

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 18.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   12.5 / 25.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.5 / 6.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   1 / 546,385

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   1 / 10

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   13 / 5

as you can see attenuation down to 25.5, noise has gone to 6 which is BE's standard settings. and im gettins a sync of 17000.
i wont tweak settings until after the line settles but i probably wont need to.

now i just have to get used to the new router.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2009, 10:52:54 AM »

Those stats are about right for your Attenuation  ;D

I would say leave it all as it is as there don't seem to be any issues there and your speeds are as they should be :) Error rates are all ok and if the SNR Margin behaves you should have a very sturdy and stable connection :D

As for the router, I believe you can use your own router on Be*, not sure of the settings though - do know that you have to wait something like an hour so a different router can connect?

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Ash888

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 08:12:33 AM »

thanks JID,

i think i know how to set up the belkin to work with BE but the bebox seems to be faster and offered more information which i need while i monitor the line over the first few days.

i wanted to make a point of the errors and loss stats, i have not have to come across these before as the belkin didnt show any of this. so i dont know what they mean or represent, could someone clarify for me please. 

on a couple of occasions the router has reset it self and restarted, it actually just happened now while i was typing this msg. when this happens i loose 1mb from sync and speed. usually the noise raises aswell but it hasnt just yet.

Uptime:   0 days, 0:03:08

DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,321 / 16,353

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 18.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   13.0 / 26.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.5 / 6.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   48 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   16 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   54 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 2,837

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   1,114 / 0

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »

it seems as though the issues i mentioned have been ironed out themselves or by BE, lets hope they stay this way.
this is what im getting now with the BEbox. as long as it stays like this im happy.

Looking good. :) :fingers:

wanted to make a point of the errors and loss stats, i have not have to come across these before as the belkin didnt show any of this. so i dont know what they mean or represent, could someone clarify for me please.
[/url]

The main site carries an explanation of the different types of errors you may see -  Explanation of errors.

Generally speaking divide the amount of errors by the amount of time the router has been up for.  Its fairly normal for a errors to slowly rack up over a day... and sometimes its experience and getting a 'feel for things' and how your line performs. 
Lots of errors together arent good and these will trigger off some of the more serious alarm states.

FECs show that the line is interleaved and error correction is working as it should, so nothing much to be too concerned about with those.

Be aware though that Be*'s MSANs continue to record the upstream error count for CRC/HEC errors and these seldom if ever get reset.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 03:54:50 PM »

Those stats are looking pretty good :D
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Ash888

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 07:17:01 AM »

thanks guys, appears to be sorted now, no losses no disconnections, i think it was BT doing some work outside in the morning.

i tried out the test socket for the 1st time with BEbox yesterday, i was syncing at 18000, i cant run cables from the front door to my room but im not loosing much from my extension so im not too bothered, il try BE speed configuration in a weeks time once i know my line is stable over that period, i should be able to get 18000 then.

Thumbs up for BE.

Ash888

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 02:25:34 PM »

kitz

can DMT tool be used to change any settings on the thomson 585v7?
from what i have read, its read-only.

is there a way around this yet?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 08:28:15 PM »

>> from what i have read, its read-only

It is indeed Im afraid.
Thompson bowed to pressure from a certain UK ISP and totally removed the ability to be able to do so. 
Even from within the CLI there isn't anywhere the target SNR can now be amended from.  I spent  one evening to see if I could perhaps find a way to do so.. but nada.   Many many more have also spent long hours seeing if its possible but so far Thompson seem to have locked this down pretty well.

There is of couple of lines of thought that I did have last year...

1) Broadcom chipsets should all have some sort of shell access as they use BusyBox linux.
   - Unfortunately, unlike other broadcom based routers... no-one as yet has been able to access any of the thompson/ST busybox commands and Thompson seem to keep that hidden away too.

2). Since these routers are based on busybox (same as with linux)... this brings about a major point which no-one seems to have taken Thompson up on yet. 
Busybox is open source and therefore anyone using it is supposed to also distribute the source under the GPL.
~ Netgear do for their broadcom based routers (which is why there are such things as DG Team and Uber Firmware)... and allow some sort of shell access.
~ The D-links that use the broadcom chipsets allow shell access, and make their code available.
~ BT Voyager series that use the broadcom chipsets all allow shell access... but more interestingly BT got taken to task approx 4 years ago because they didnt make publicly available their source... and ever since have had to make the source available to those who request it. 
~ BT also got their wrists slapped again 2 years ago for GPL violation on the HomeHubs. linky.

.. so this begs the question how have Thompson got away with it?
...... and even better - the homehub is based on which router..  surely not speedtouch?
.......... oh..... and guess which ISP it is, that is rumoured to have got Thompson to lock down their routers so that users can no longer access these commands.

:-X

-----

Ash888

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2009, 07:29:49 AM »

lol

thanks for the information.
i was thinking of switching to a netgear, bet i didnt have the best experience with the one i had many years ago, but alot of people are raving on about them now.

the reason i wanted to change snr was my connection becomes unstable at 3db with fastpath. 3db on interleaved is fine, iv now actually been put on 'fastpath inp 2' which as you probably know, isnt fastpath its just a difference depth of interleaved. at 6db fastpath works fine.

i just wanted to tweak from 6db downwards until i find a stable point with fastpath.
i asked BE themselves but they say they can only set to specific 3, 6, 9 and 15.

apparently my line suffers from random impulse noise, at night. 3db with fastpath ran perfect when i first switched, then after the first night i had signal loss, it didnt really recover after that which resyncs during the day.

they say theres no point in getting an engineer to take a look, as its random they might not find anything and then id have to pay 150.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »

>> i was thinking of switching to a netgear,

Some of the netgears have broadcom chipsets - which are the ones that are raved about. - specifically the DG834GT and the DG834Gv4.  The earlier DG834s used AR7 chipsets... so make sure you get the right one.
-----

Ash888

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »

i managed to get hold of a sky router from my cousin, who has joined o2 now. so he didnt need it.

its the dg834gt.

im having a few issues flashing it thought, im using vista, i read that there are a few issues flashing with vista.
tried computability mode, and administrator.

the wizard comes up, i click next,
i can see my network port, click next,
then it messes up...i can see the previous screen in the background in the wizard, but the next screen is over the top.
so it has the firmware version etc and 4 fields, the top 2 have data in them, the bottom 2 are empty.
if i click back, the next screen comes over the top, asking to select device but there is no device in the field.
if i click next from the previous screen it takes me to the upgrade screen, if i click upgrade i cant click anything else and there is no progress on the bar.

i dont have an xp computer, trying to find somone who has, everyone got vista now.

also, i have the router in recovery mode.
any ideas.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2009, 10:41:25 PM »

This page may help.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2009, 10:41:50 PM »

Hi Ash888,

Do you have any friends with an Apple Mac ?
You can usually avoid difficulties using either Firefox or Safari.
Terminal would also let you telnet into the router.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 04:51:32 AM »

It doesnt always behave too well with vista, but should work as long as you are running as Admin and make sure the required files are run in capatability mode.

Its also important that no other network devices are attached to the PC or router.
A problem can also occur with some of the Vista drivers, so if it wont on yours ideally it should be done on an XP machine..  or even try from another Vista machine that has a different network card.
-----
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6